2018-2019 Season Notes

• 2 weeks later...

I can already tell this season is going to be one where my opinion of the team is going to have big swings.  I was really optimistic after the first 4 games.  The TT game made my optimism take a dive.  Now, it's back on a big high.

Hopefully, as we rack up wins, those down swings will become less and less.  

What I'm very optimistic about with this team is that we seem to have 5 guys really contributing well.  When one is having an off night, the others tend to step up and the "off" guy isn't selfish about it.  That is totally different than Mile's first tournament team.

I continue to be concerned about the lack of a bench.  But, at least we have 5 guys starting that are playing at a high level.  I would love to see Illinois be another 20-30 point win.  Those help build the bench with experience.

I’m not terribly worried about the Tech game for a few reasons.  First, tech is going to be a damn good team.  The transfers they brought in had a ton of experience and they play tight D like us.  It was only a 6 point game at half, the guys let up once they didn’t think a comeback was possible, JPJ mentioned that in Clemson post game.  Also, the way that game was officiated screwed us, not saying it was the refs that cost of the game, but JPJ being hit with 2 crap charge fouls in the first few minutes spelled disaster.  Also it was the first “road” game against decent competition.  They then go win a true road game at Clemson.  I think we will have scoring droughts at times all year, but I think our defense is so stout that it won’t necessarily cost us games we should win.   

8 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

This was his best game of the year by a large margin.  He shot MUCH better than he has the rest of the year.  Makes a huge difference when you go 6/7 from 3 and 9/12 from 2.

Well, we are sitting at 8-2 with a few big wins.  People also complain that all of our talent is going to be gone next year and we are going to suck.

So....if he's part of the big talent and he's sucking this year, somebody must be stepping up that will be back next year.

27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, we are sitting at 8-2 with a few big wins.  People also complain that all of our talent is going to be gone next year and we are going to suck.

So....if he's part of the big talent and he's sucking this year, somebody must be stepping up that will be back next year.

We have probably two big wins, depending on how you want to semantic it - Clemson and Creighton.  

Our top three scorers are Palmer, Copeland and Watson, all of whom will be gone next year.  Next is Roby who could be gone next year.  Other than those four, the rest of the team scored 13 points against Clemson and 25 against Creighton (18 by Allen).  So I don't think the description you're arguing against is all that inaccurate.

Palmer played really well in those two wins.  He also played fairly poorly in our two losses.  Before the Creighton game he was shooting 23% on 3s and.  That's not very good.  And he was shooting under 40% from the floor.  So when he's supposed to be our best player, those are numbers that would lead people to say he wasn't playing that well.