Jump to content
Mavric

2018-2019 Season Notes

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

 

 

 

Translation:  GW has to play 35 minutes a night, score 10 points and dish out 7 dimes or else we is gonna suck something fierce 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I think the rotation will be this year:

Watson

Allen

Palmer

Copeland

Roby

Bench:

Borchardt 

Harris

Akenten

 

Heiman is in for a redshirt but that could change if someone gets in the doghouse. Chan may see the floor this year but if not he will redshirt. Borchardt will get some playing time. Harris needs to play this year and you have to put Nana out there to get guys some rest. Dachon Burke being immediately eligible would elevate this team and give us lots of depth. Next year will be his year to shine. Expect Miles to go to a 7 man rotation if he needs to win and possibly less as there is a lot of talent separating the starters from the backups. I also would not be surprised if we have Allen come off the bench as teams will pick on him with bigger and taller two guards so slot Harris as the two in that instance. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Translation:  GW has to play 35 minutes a night, score 10 points and dish out 7 dimes or else we is gonna suck something fierce 

I think he wants Glynn to breakout because he deserves it. If I recall correctly I think Miles cried at the dedication he had to his program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HuskermanMike said:

I think he wants Glynn to breakout because he deserves it. If I recall correctly I think Miles cried at the dedication he had to his program. 

I only cry after sex...and before...sometimes during.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HuskermanMike said:

What I think the rotation will be this year:

Watson

Allen

Palmer

Copeland

Roby

Bench:

Borchardt 

Harris

Akenten

 

Heiman is in for a redshirt but that could change if someone gets in the doghouse. Chan may see the floor this year but if not he will redshirt. Borchardt will get some playing time. Harris needs to play this year and you have to put Nana out there to get guys some rest. Dachon Burke being immediately eligible would elevate this team and give us lots of depth. Next year will be his year to shine. Expect Miles to go to a 7 man rotation if he needs to win and possibly less as there is a lot of talent separating the starters from the backups. I also would not be surprised if we have Allen come off the bench as teams will pick on him with bigger and taller two guards so slot Harris as the two in that instance. 

 

 

Heiman probably should redshirt, but Miles always leaves it up to the player.  If he doesn't want to he will waste a year of eligibility like Nana & Thor did last year. 

 

Would be shocked if Chan redshirts. Not because he's ready to play, but you don't transfer from a JUCO and expect to redshirt.

 

My two deep:

 

PG - Watson, Allen

SG - Allen, Harris

SF - Palmer, Akenten

PF - Copeland, Roby

C - Roby, Borchardt

 

Heiman, Thor & Chan will only play in garbage time unless there are injuries or foul trouble.  All are redshirt candidates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

Heiman probably should redshirt, but Miles always leaves it up to the player.  If he doesn't want to he will waste a year of eligibility like Nana & Thor did last year. 

 

Would be shocked if Chan redshirts. Not because he's ready to play, but you don't transfer from a JUCO and expect to redshirt.

 

My two deep:

 

PG - Watson, Allen

SG - Allen, Harris

SF - Palmer, Akenten

PF - Copeland, Roby

C - Roby, Borchardt

 

Heiman, Thor & Chan will only play in garbage time unless there are injuries or foul trouble.  All are redshirt candidates.

Yea Heiman needs another year in my mind but I am not the coach. That seems like a reasonable rotation to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ECisGod said:

Heiman probably should redshirt, but Miles always leaves it up to the player.  If he doesn't want to he will waste a year of eligibility like Nana & Thor did last year. 

 

Would be shocked if Chan redshirts. Not because he's ready to play, but you don't transfer from a JUCO and expect to redshirt.

 

My two deep:

 

PG - Watson, Allen

SG - Allen, Harris

SF - Palmer, Akenten

PF - Copeland, Roby

C - Roby, Borchardt

 

Heiman, Thor & Chan will only play in garbage time unless there are injuries or foul trouble.  All are redshirt candidates.

Chan was offered as a project because he was athletic & long.  He has 4 to play 3.  Either Chan or heiman will redshirt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

we'll see after tonight ;)

I'm not sure how much we will learn tonight.  Probably won't learn much until the Seton Hall game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

I'm not sure how much we will learn tonight.  Probably won't learn much until the Seton Hall game.

it's a joke because we're playing Wayne State who is also from NE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be interesting to see how our three-point shooting plays out this year.  We seem to be set on taking a bunch of them.

 

Could help us win a game we "shouldn't".

 

Will probably also lose us a game we shouldn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m excited for Seton Hall on Wednesday. It will be the first time we see this team against a quality opponent. I feel they have the confidence to go beat them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

The good news is Nebraska has beaten 2 opponents handily that they were supposed to beat handily.

 

Yeah, I was thinking that yesterday as well.  Those two games didn't do much for us.  But we took care of business decisively when we should have.  Which hasn't always been the case.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

 

Yeah, I was thinking that yesterday as well.  Those two games didn't do much for us.  But we took care of business decisively when we should have.  Which hasn't always been the case.

They have let a lot of teams like these 2 over the Miles years to hang around in games.  

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say that our bench is better than expected.  I thought Harris and Nana would get playing time this year, but both have showed better than expected in the first 2 games.  I also was the one who said that Heiman should redshirt and he has proved me wrong.  He is still a little light, but he should be able to give us some valuable minutes off the bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2018 at 11:30 AM, StPaulHusker said:

The good news is Nebraska has beaten 2 opponents handily that they were supposed to beat handily.

 

 

Exactly. Both teams were awful and we never gave them a chance. 

 

That is exciting but also probably meaningless. 

 

Seton Hall is where we can start to test where this thing is at. We should beat them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mavric said:

 

Fun fact... he could get that record by beating Creighton....

 

Missouri State

TBA

Western Illinois

Clemson

Illinois

Minnesota

 

Would be pretty nice to finally get that monkey off his back.

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can already tell this season is going to be one where my opinion of the team is going to have big swings.  I was really optimistic after the first 4 games.  The TT game made my optimism take a dive.  Now, it's back on a big high.

 

Hopefully, as we rack up wins, those down swings will become less and less.  


What I'm very optimistic about with this team is that we seem to have 5 guys really contributing well.  When one is having an off night, the others tend to step up and the "off" guy isn't selfish about it.  That is totally different than Mile's first tournament team.

 

I continue to be concerned about the lack of a bench.  But, at least we have 5 guys starting that are playing at a high level.  I would love to see Illinois be another 20-30 point win.  Those help build the bench with experience.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many people over react to one game either way.  I too am concerned about the bench in regards to our big guys, as I like the 2 guards.  I am also concerned about the amount of minutes being played by our starters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not terribly worried about the Tech game for a few reasons.  First, tech is going to be a damn good team.  The transfers they brought in had a ton of experience and they play tight D like us.  It was only a 6 point game at half, the guys let up once they didn’t think a comeback was possible, JPJ mentioned that in Clemson post game.  Also, the way that game was officiated screwed us, not saying it was the refs that cost of the game, but JPJ being hit with 2 crap charge fouls in the first few minutes spelled disaster.  Also it was the first “road” game against decent competition.  They then go win a true road game at Clemson.  I think we will have scoring droughts at times all year, but I think our defense is so stout that it won’t necessarily cost us games we should win.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've seen some fans complaining about him this year.  I'm not seeing the reason to complain.

 

 

This was his best game of the year by a large margin.  He shot MUCH better than he has the rest of the year.  Makes a huge difference when you go 6/7 from 3 and 9/12 from 2.

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

This was his best game of the year by a large margin.  He shot MUCH better than he has the rest of the year.  Makes a huge difference when you go 6/7 from 3 and 9/12 from 2.

Well, we are sitting at 8-2 with a few big wins.  People also complain that all of our talent is going to be gone next year and we are going to suck.


So....if he's part of the big talent and he's sucking this year, somebody must be stepping up that will be back next year.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, if he's right and we finish out the OOC strong, we should end up between 22-9 or 24-7.

 

That should get us in the tourney....right?

Yes. The B1G will be way up this year. We could finish at 10-10 and still be in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, we are sitting at 8-2 with a few big wins.  People also complain that all of our talent is going to be gone next year and we are going to suck.


So....if he's part of the big talent and he's sucking this year, somebody must be stepping up that will be back next year.

 

We have probably two big wins, depending on how you want to semantic it - Clemson and Creighton.  

 

Our top three scorers are Palmer, Copeland and Watson, all of whom will be gone next year.  Next is Roby who could be gone next year.  Other than those four, the rest of the team scored 13 points against Clemson and 25 against Creighton (18 by Allen).  So I don't think the description you're arguing against is all that inaccurate.

 

Palmer played really well in those two wins.  He also played fairly poorly in our two losses.  Before the Creighton game he was shooting 23% on 3s and.  That's not very good.  And he was shooting under 40% from the floor.  So when he's supposed to be our best player, those are numbers that would lead people to say he wasn't playing that well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×