B10 Opener 2018

Saturday
Sep. 22
Wolverines at Michigan Wolverines 
Michigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, MI

Scott Frost has seen this before. In his first year at UCF, the Knights traveled to Ann Arbor in just their second game. It was one that definitely didn't go the way they had hoped, a 51-14 loss. Fast forward a few years - Frost and his staff will travel back to Ann Arbor to open up Big Ten play. The highlights from that game will be shown before Nebraska lines up on the field stating that Frost is in revenge mode against Harbaugh, especially after being poked at for his "we outhit them" comments. Frost even took his first jab at Michigan as a Nebraska HC in regards to recruiting when he stated "There's no reason kids should want to go to Ann Arbor and not Lincoln. It's colder there." 

Some notes from that game:

• UCF's special team woes - They had 2 punts and 1 fg blocked
  • Inability to pass the ball - McKenzie Milton didn't start or play in this game. The other two QBs were 6/22 with 0 TDs and 56 total passing yards 
  • Run defense was stout - UCF held Michigan to only 119 total rushing yards on 2.9 ypc
  • Pass defense was non existent - Speight lit them up for 312 yards and 4 TDs 
  • Hanging onto the football - The Knights also had 2 fumbles 

I think Frost learned a lot from that first meeting and we will see that when Nebraska travels to Michigan. The Wolverines will be tested early when they head to Notre Dame for their season opener. This will be Nebraska's first road game of the year after getting the first 3 at home. Michigan is projecting to be a possible pre-season top 10 team. Two coaches who are now at their alma mater and won't meet back up until 2021 in Lincoln.

Two biggest questions as of now

1. Who will be our QB?
  2. Will the defense be up to speed in time after being one of the nation's worst a year ago?
Edited by BIG ERN
  • Plus1 4

I might be in the minority, but I am going to do everything in my power to just try and enjoy the "ups & downs" of this upcoming season.  Of course I want Big Red to win every game from now until the end of time. And I will probably mope and pout when they inevitably lose.  But I just find it incredibly hard to have expectations for this season.  Not just because I think they have to rebuild (which they do), but mostly because I have absolutely no idea what to expect.  

But to answer my thoughts to your questions:

1. QB = Martinez with Gebbia as backup.
  2. Defense = Unfortunately no.  They will fly around and look like blackshirts, but I think they are going to get repeatedly gashed for big plays.
  • Plus1 3

I say it isn't revenge time because of the UCF game but because Frost's 1997 team was clearly superior to UM and we had to share the NC wt them.  Had to get that 97 angle going.

My bold :koolaid2:prediction:

This I think will be our first statement game.  The opportunity to show that coaching really does matter.  With last season in perspective, this will seem like an upset but it won't be after we review the game at the end of the season. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Michigans offense will be lame

Michigans defense will be awesome

I think those are the things we know for sure.

A big piece hinges on if transfer Shea Patterson is cleared to play. If he isn't it sounds like Speight will return for his SR year. Their defense should be stout again for sure 

3 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

While I agree with you, we did say the same thing last year.

Yup. But it can't can't can't possibly be worse this year.

And Michigan's offense is not Penn State's or Ohio State's. Although Iowa blew us out too.

Edited by Moiraine

It is in the cards, or the rabbit foot, or the horse shoe, or my lucky rock, or whatever is in this::koolaid2:or this:cheers - got to follow this thought process.  It is time to

strike up the :band and smell the :Java::

20 years ago Tom's last game. SF is the QB that wins our last NC.  Meanwhile on the other Coast michicken gets bailed out by the refs as they barely beat an inferior Wash team. SF and team defeat a # 3 rank Tenn team.  Our undefeated NU team, greatly superior to the pretender from the hand state has to share the NC.  The coaches recognized the superior team and voted NU # 1. 

Now 20 years later, SF will play before mentioned pretender (by the way wasn't Hardboiledhead suppose to dominate the Big 10 by now?:dunno ).  SF will set the record straight with a win in his first Big 10 conf game. 

Now pass me some more :koolaid2:

• Plus1 3