*****Official 2018-2019 College Football Thread*****

GSG

I think that Alabama is the best team in the country but why are we to assume they should make the playoffs if the lose in their conference championship game? Does the committee want to setup a possible rematch this late in the season? I mean it could almost be back to back games with the same teams. 

49 minutes ago, jaws said:

I think that Alabama is the best team in the country but why are we to assume they should make the playoffs if the lose in their conference championship game? Does the committee want to setup a possible rematch this late in the season? I mean it could almost be back to back games with the same teams. 

Because none of the rules apply to Alabama

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, jaws said:

I think it's because Alabama got in when they lost their final regular season game last year. But this season there are better options than last season. Last year it was just 1 loss Wisconsin, 2-loss OSU after winning the CCG, and UCF to choose from. It was obvious Wisconsin wasn't as good as Alabama, and 2 losses is 2 losses. If OSU had only lost 1 game last season, they would have been an easy choice over Alabama imo.

This season if Alabama loses there are likely 2 1-loss conference champions and UCF. Only thing is Alabama seems better this year than last year.

Anyhow, since the committee is human, they might subconsciously be leaning toward putting OSU in to prove they aren't biased for Alabama in this scenario.

8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I think it's because Alabama got in when they lost their final regular season game last year. But this season there are better options than last season. Last year it was just 1 loss Wisconsin, 2-loss OSU after winning the CCG, and UCF to choose from. It was obvious Wisconsin wasn't as good as Alabama, and 2 losses is 2 losses. If OSU had only lost 1 game last season, they would have been an easy choice over Alabama imo.

This season if Alabama loses there are likely 2 1-loss conference champions and UCF. Only thing is Alabama seems better this year than last year.

Anyhow, since the committee is human, they might subconsciously be leaning toward putting OSU in to prove they aren't biased for Alabama in this scenario.

I figure that ND is in since their regular season is over and the rest need to win their conference championship games to get into the playoffs. I do think that Oklahoma will get in over OSU if all the higher ranked teams win. As long as Clemson, Oklahoma, and Ohio State win, this shouldn't be the year that two SEC teams get into the playoffs. 

31 minutes ago, jaws said:

I figure that ND is in since their regular season is over and the rest need to win their conference championship games to get into the playoffs. I do think that Oklahoma will get in over OSU if all the higher ranked teams win. As long as Clemson, Oklahoma, and Ohio State win, this shouldn't be the year that two SEC teams get into the playoffs. 

I don't. At a glance, Oklahoma has as many near losses as OSU and they've only beaten 2 ranked teams. I don't really see much to be impressed by with their schedule other than their record. OSU blowing out Michigan is huge.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I don't. At a glance, Oklahoma has as many near losses as OSU and they've only beaten 2 ranked teams. I don't really see much to be impressed by with their schedule other than their record. OSU blowing out Michigan is huge.

I don't know...the blowout against Michigan is huge indeed, but if OU beats Texas in the title game rematch, they will have beaten every team on their schedule. OU's one loss to Texas by 3 points does not look nearly as bad as OSU's blowout loss to Purdue. And OSU and OU have one common opponent in TCU, which OU defeated more convincingly. At this point, I would put Oklahoma in the playoff over OSU.