POB...still in the QB room?

3 hours ago, brophog said:

QBs transfer so often, it's best to take 1 per year regardless of system. 

Yes Qbs do transfer.  Especially when you over recruit the position with guys a year behind an established starter that cannot pass them on the depth chart. Especially in a pro system that needs a high volume of reps and a steep learning curve.  Can't have 5 guys in your room getting the work they need to be successful. I think if you manage a room well you can limit transfers.  Do u have to take a qb every year? No.  Most years yes.  Putting an absolute rule on something that has many factors seems silly.  

37 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Yes Qbs do transfer.  Especially when you over recruit the position with guys a year behind an established starter that cannot pass them on the depth chart. Especially in a pro system that needs a high volume of reps and a steep learning curve.  Can't have 5 guys in your room getting the work they need to be successful. I think if you manage a room well you can limit transfers.  Do u have to take a qb every year? No.  Most years yes.  Putting an absolute rule on something that has many factors seems silly.  

No one said it was absolute, just that it isn't system dependent. Transfers are a big reason why. 

It doesn't matter what system you run, only one guy plays. That means one guy isn't enough and two are too many. Hence the large transfer percentage at the position.

1 minute ago, brophog said:

No one said it was absolute, just that it isn't system dependent. Transfers are a big reason why. 

It doesn't matter what system you run, only one guy plays. That means one guy isn't enough and two are too many. Hence the large transfer percentage at the position.

There are some that say it is an absolute.  I think system can be a factor.  Another factor is quality of your starter and year of eligibility.   

3 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Is Martinez 100% healthy. I keep seeing references to his shoulder only being 90% healed.

He is still a little under 100%, that's correct. Frost said in an interview this week that Martinez told him his shoulder felt like it was at 90%, and then Frost corroborated this by saying he's looked pretty good in practice but he can tell he doesn't have quite the same zip on the ball that he did on some of his high school film.

Just now, krc1995 said:

Is it unusual to quit mid way through spring practice?  Maybe the writing was on the wall, but what made him not show up today? 

I think Tuesday provided quite a bit of clarity when his reps were limited compared to some of the other quarterbacks. Now, he can focus on finding a place that fits his skill set rather than take reps from guys who could probably use them more. I think it's a pretty good move all the way around. One could perhaps even view it as a bit unselfish.

• Plus1 1

So, I’m a little unclear on the rumorville protocol. Does this mean that my rumor was likely well founded and confirmed? We’ll probably never know for sure but it sure seems the way this came about so quickly that there was likely more to it than just a depth chart issue or sudden, oddly timed, realization on POB’s part that he wasn’t cut out for this offense. I think I’ll keep paying attention to this sources info.

• Plus1 2
28 minutes ago, Enhance said:

He is still a little under 100%, that's correct. Frost said in an interview this week that Martinez told him his shoulder felt like it was at 90%, and then Frost corroborated this by saying he's looked pretty good in practice but he can tell he doesn't have quite the same zip on the ball that he did on some of his high school film.

I'm kind of wondering if he just doesnt trust it yet.  His surgeon reportedly said it's 100 percent better.

16 hours ago, Edison's Enemy said:

I guess I don’t get where the POB is too slow thinking comes from. Frost said himself that a 4.7 guy is definitely capable of running this offense; i.e. Derron Thomas.

POB had a similar 40 time, and had 640 yards/13 TDs on the ground as a junior. As a senior he had 626 yards and 8 touchdowns. He even had a receiving td.

When Lee had his concussion that wasn’t a concussion but was a concussion, POB was able to get 41 yards on the ground, with 14-yard and 12-yard gains. Unfortunately, our line had decided to turn from leaky faucet to a busted dam allowing seven sacks. SEVEN!!! That negated his rushing yardage.

I know when I saw O’Brien running with intent, he was able to get decent chunks.

A291C094-C413-4469-8D3C-297F68E80D4F.gif

As a QB...being a capable runner in high school is not the same as being a capable runner at the college level.

Again, if he proves me wrong good for him.  But until I actually see him run effectively against a Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, et al...I will continue to doubt.

9 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

They wanted him to fail. Its despicable is what it is. 

I know your post is sarcasm.

However, I still cannot believe that are some Husker fans who actually think there are Husker fans who "...wanted POB to fail."

:blink: :facepalm: 

The sheer absurdity of that type of thought is mind-numbing.  No one wanted POB to fail.  It's just many of us saw his lack of speed in the spring game in 2017 and what happened against Minnesota and realized he just didn't have the quicks for Coach Frost's new offense.  He just wasn't a fit for what Frost wants to do offensively.

To Pat O'Brien...best of luck young man.  I wish you nothing but the best where ever you end up.

Edited by Making Chimichangas
  • Plus1 2