POB...still in the QB room?

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Not sure what Gebbia has to do with POB. My comments were related to POB. Gebbia does seem to have a little better ability to run the ball and QB Frost’s system, but he still has nothing to do with POB. 

Because both POB and Gebbia were recruited by Riley, and your comments were about Riley's QB recruiting. You can go back and replace POB with Gebbia and it's essentially the same argument: People speculated that QB <insert name>, even though recruited by Riley, is fast enough to run Frost's offense.

• Plus1 2

It is quite disappointing that POB quit in mid spring.  Not good thinking on his part in my view.  Why not finish out the sppring (only a couple weeks left anyway) and play in the game and get whatever benefits you can from the program before your transfer?   If Oregon State has nobody better (I suspect they have some competition at QB), then maybe follow Riley.   After all, Riley recruited him and has known him for several years now.  POB wasn't good enough to beat out Tanner Lee (not exactly Joe Namath except for the INTs part).  POB is a big disappointment for me although we all knew he was not a runner.   The question is do we really have anybody on the team that has the QB skills / measurements Frost wants and needs?

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

It is quite disappointing that POB quit in mid spring.  Not good thinking on his part in my view.  Why not finish out the sppring (only a couple weeks left anyway) and play in the game and get whatever benefits you can from the program before your transfer?   If Oregon State has nobody better (I suspect they have some competition at QB), then maybe follow Riley.   After all, Riley recruited him and has known him for several years now.  POB wasn't good enough to beat out Tanner Lee (not exactly Joe Namath except for the INTs part).  POB is a big disappointment for me although we all knew he was not a runner.   The question is do we really have anybody on the team that has the QB skills / measurements Frost wants and needs?

To the public it may seem like he just up and left, but they were already talking about his fit in the new offense sine December. He almost left before the spring semester started. He just isn't the skill fit for this offense. He will be a starter somewhere that is a pro style offense. 

• Plus1 1
On 4/14/2018 at 6:40 AM, melscott62 said:

So who is our 3rd string qb right now?Our depth concerns me.  Esp since our front runner is so small.

Edit:

Totally forgot about Martinez.   

Bunch and Gebbia are currently battling it out for the starting job. If Vedral gets cleared to play this year, which he will if the rule is passed that allows immediate illegibility for a student with a certain GPA and had a coaching change, then the depth heading into the fall will likely be:

Vedral as the leader since he knows the offense the best and will be able to run it better than others at this time. Doesn't mean he would start the whole season, just ahead of others right now. 

Bunch and Gebbia

Martinez - not ready yet. 

We can only guess if they bring in a grad transfer. 

There are some that have been to the practices that say Bunch is ahead of Gebbia right now. 

4 hours ago, alohaah said:

Bunch and Gebbia are currently battling it out for the starting job. If Vedral gets cleared to play this year, which he will if the rule is passed that allows immediate illegibility for a student with a certain GPA and had a coaching change, then the depth heading into the fall will likely be:

Vedral as the leader since he knows the offense the best and will be able to run it better than others at this time. Doesn't mean he would start the whole season, just ahead of others right now. 

Bunch and Gebbia

Martinez - not ready yet. 

We can only guess if they bring in a grad transfer. 

There are some that have been to the practices that say Bunch is ahead of Gebbia right now. 

Don't think vedral becomes eligible.  Would be great if he was but chances are slim.  

• 1 month later...

On 4/14/2018 at 4:31 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

People wanted to say that POB was fast and was plenty mobile when posters (including me) were criticizing Riley for recruiting “statue QB’s”. Yes, POB is way faster and mobile than me and you, but he’s probably in the bottom half of speed, agility, and mobility of college QB’s. I understand that Frost runs a completely different offense than Riley, but that also goes into why posters (including me) criticized Riley and his offense. Many fans just wanted NU to succeed, so they were willing to support Riley and his crappy offensive style, even if it meant making up myths that POB looked fast and mobile in his high school film. POB looked “fast” compared to slower, smaller high school kids, not elite college football players, and POB did most of his running straight ahead. He wasn’t going to fit in Frost’s offense, so I don’t know why people expected that he would.  It’s not surprising that POB was pretty much 5th on the depth chart (including Vedral). 

Apologies for such a late reply, but I wanted to clarify something...

POB could be a terrific QB if he gets into an offense that runs a competent pro-style system.  Get him into a system where the offense runs the ball and plays defense and O'Brien could be good.

What I meant in my earlier post (and clearly did not say) was that even in his high school film, POB didn't look overly fast to me.  But, at the time, it wasn't that much of a concern because of the style of offense Mike Riley ran.  So running wasn't a big deal, protecting the QB was.  However, once we hired Frost, I knew almost immediately that POB was the odd guy out.  I still wish POB all the best though and hope he finds a team that will put him into a position to be successful.  (Think Trent Dilfer.  POB needs to get to a team that runs the ball and plays great defense.  POB just needs to manage the game.  Hand the ball off to the RBs, make a few throws off of play-action when needed, and just take care of the football.) 

• 3 weeks later...