JJ Husker

POB...still in the QB room?

56 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Simple, he was behind Gebbia, Bunch & Martinez.  O'Brien is a good QB, but does not fit this system.  I wish him best of luck in the future!

+ Vedral

51 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Getting game experience and being QB1 even at a Juco seems to be useful for a lot of QBs and is probably what POB needs. 

Yeah, and he could play right away at a JUCO.  The best thing might be to put some gawdy JUCO numbers this season. It would create a lot of options for him next year (2019) in coming back to Div. 1 ball.

Just me...I would transfer to a D1 school and sit out.  I really would not want to leave NU, find a JC, play for a year, leave that school and find another school.

That sounds freaking exhausting 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Wait, the coaches had him 4th on the depth chart?  The coaches are bad fans.

They wanted him to fail. Its despicable is what it is. 

• Plus1 5

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Just me...I would transfer to a D1 school and sit out.  I really would not want to leave NU, find a JC, play for a year, leave that school and find another school.

That sounds freaking exhausting 

You just want to find another D1 school to hang out and party during the Fall semester when you aren't eligible.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You just want to find another D1 school to hang out and party during the Fall semester when you aren't eligible.

I didn't even think about that but man...that is the dream!

Just now, teachercd said:

I didn't even think about that but man...that is the dream!

Coach - we don't have transfers who are sitting out the season travel with the team or bother staying in the team hotel during home games.

Teach (as a player) - So, you mean I can kinda hang out on my own and then meet the team before the game to go through team meetings during home games and stay at home during road games?  I guess I can live with that.

3 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Honestly, somewhere like Wisconsin would probably be a good fit for him. 

It would suck pretty bad if he transferred to Wisconsin and then beat us.  :)

11 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

It would suck pretty bad if he transferred to Wisconsin and then beat us.  :)

Or it would turn that game in to a real rivalry! Give us 2yrs and we will rule the B1G West.

40 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If Alex Moran from Blue Mountain State taught me anything it’s that the best job in the world is second string QB.

• Plus1 7

1 minute ago, ADS said:

If Alex Moran from Blue Mountain State taught me anything it’s that the best job in the world is second string QB.

That's a great documentary!!!

• Plus1 1

He played in two spring games and both times didn’t impress me. Gebbia on the other hand impressed me last year. 

I wish him nothing but the best though but I want the best player to play

8 minutes ago, ADS said:

I love BMS...I think it could have been even better with a few little changes but it was still a fun show.

9 minutes ago, ADS said:

Trickle down banging

• Plus1 4

3 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Wait, is the takeaway from this faux exchange that HuskerBoard knew POB was going to ask for a release 10 days ago, or that Scott Frost slums it on HuskerBoard?

Yes.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

You would think it was obvious but there were people on this board that thought it was not necessary 

Think it depends on the system you run. You dont need to take a QB every year if you run a pro system if you have a couple guys you feel good about you can manage with a smaller room with 3 or 4  guys.  If you want mobile QBs you should probably take one every year.  Mobile QB's put themselves at risk for injury more often and they can often play multiple positions if QB doesnt work out.  We all know your stance on the QB room as it is discussed on here often.  

3 is not ideal for a offense like we are looking to implement, but you can take care of your QB's by how you call plays and teaching the not to finish runs with contact but look for the sideline or the ground. 

13 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Think it depends on the system you run. You dont need to take a QB every year if you run a pro system if you have a couple guys you feel good about you can manage with a smaller room with 3 or 4  guys.  If you want mobile QBs you should probably take one every year.  Mobile QB's put themselves at risk for injury more often and they can often play multiple positions if QB doesnt work out.  We all know your stance on the QB room as it is discussed on here often.  

3 is not ideal for a offense like we are looking to implement, but you can take care of your QB's by how you call plays and teaching the not to finish runs with contact but look for the sideline or the ground. 

QBs transfer so often, it's best to take 1 per year regardless of system. 

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

It quite literally doesn't matter what style of offense you run.  1 out of every 2 QB's transfers from their original school.  YOU TAKE ONE EVERY YEAR!

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

It quite literally doesn't matter what style of offense you run.  1 out of every 2 QB's transfers from their original school.  YOU TAKE ONE EVERY YEAR!

Who's machines?

tumblr_lx6oylUB7j1r96xczo4_250.gif

VillainousDefinitiveArgentineruddyduck-m

I think I found a new avatar for you, StPaul. Even looks like Carl a little if you want to stick with the bald white guy with goatee look. :B)

By the way, Frost brought in 2 QBs last year. Is that 1 QB every year mantra an absolute, or can you average that over time? 2 in 2018 so we are good already in 2019?

34 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

By the way, Frost brought in 2 QBs last year. Is that 1 QB every year mantra an absolute, or can you average that over time? 2 in 2018, so we are good already in 2019?

He said he wants 5 total. So whatever gives him that most years. We have 4 now but we kind of have a log jam of young QBs which might not all stay. So he needs at least 1 QB recruit for 2019.

1 hour ago, swmohusker said:

How many do you need if you run a pro style system with a horrible Oline caoch? I would rather run than let defenders tee off on me. Didn't POB get sacked 7 times in mop up duty at Minny ... freaking Minny ... they should have 7 sacks against the Huskers in 100 games.

Could POB end up like Troy Aikman? Switzer helped him land at a team with an offence more suited to his style. Will Frost do the same?

39 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

By the way, Frost brought in 2 QBs last year. Is that 1 QB every year mantra an absolute, or can you average that over time? 2 in 2018 so we are good already in 2019?

I’m going to consider that avatar.  But Carl sitting in front of a pile of coke is just too good to let go

its not an absolute.  It’s the average 

Frost has already run off two scholarship QBs and we only have two left on the roster.

#FireFrost

• Plus1 5

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Frost has already run off two scholarship QBs and we only have two left on the roster.

#FireFrost

I seriously almost asked who the other one was.

4 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Thanks Obama

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, brophog said:

QBs transfer so often, it's best to take 1 per year regardless of system. 

Yes Qbs do transfer.  Especially when you over recruit the position with guys a year behind an established starter that cannot pass them on the depth chart. Especially in a pro system that needs a high volume of reps and a steep learning curve.  Can't have 5 guys in your room getting the work they need to be successful. I think if you manage a room well you can limit transfers.  Do u have to take a qb every year? No.  Most years yes.  Putting an absolute rule on something that has many factors seems silly.  

37 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Yes Qbs do transfer.  Especially when you over recruit the position with guys a year behind an established starter that cannot pass them on the depth chart. Especially in a pro system that needs a high volume of reps and a steep learning curve.  Can't have 5 guys in your room getting the work they need to be successful. I think if you manage a room well you can limit transfers.  Do u have to take a qb every year? No.  Most years yes.  Putting an absolute rule on something that has many factors seems silly.  

No one said it was absolute, just that it isn't system dependent. Transfers are a big reason why. 

It doesn't matter what system you run, only one guy plays. That means one guy isn't enough and two are too many. Hence the large transfer percentage at the position.

1 minute ago, brophog said:

No one said it was absolute, just that it isn't system dependent. Transfers are a big reason why. 

It doesn't matter what system you run, only one guy plays. That means one guy isn't enough and two are too many. Hence the large transfer percentage at the position.

There are some that say it is an absolute.  I think system can be a factor.  Another factor is quality of your starter and year of eligibility.   

Is it unusual to quit mid way through spring practice?  Maybe the writing was on the wall, but what made him not show up today? 

3 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Is Martinez 100% healthy. I keep seeing references to his shoulder only being 90% healed.

He is still a little under 100%, that's correct. Frost said in an interview this week that Martinez told him his shoulder felt like it was at 90%, and then Frost corroborated this by saying he's looked pretty good in practice but he can tell he doesn't have quite the same zip on the ball that he did on some of his high school film.

Just now, krc1995 said:

Is it unusual to quit mid way through spring practice?  Maybe the writing was on the wall, but what made him not show up today? 

I think Tuesday provided quite a bit of clarity when his reps were limited compared to some of the other quarterbacks. Now, he can focus on finding a place that fits his skill set rather than take reps from guys who could probably use them more. I think it's a pretty good move all the way around. One could perhaps even view it as a bit unselfish.

• Plus1 1

So, I’m a little unclear on the rumorville protocol. Does this mean that my rumor was likely well founded and confirmed? We’ll probably never know for sure but it sure seems the way this came about so quickly that there was likely more to it than just a depth chart issue or sudden, oddly timed, realization on POB’s part that he wasn’t cut out for this offense. I think I’ll keep paying attention to this sources info.

• Plus1 2

28 minutes ago, Enhance said:

He is still a little under 100%, that's correct. Frost said in an interview this week that Martinez told him his shoulder felt like it was at 90%, and then Frost corroborated this by saying he's looked pretty good in practice but he can tell he doesn't have quite the same zip on the ball that he did on some of his high school film.

I'm kind of wondering if he just doesnt trust it yet.  His surgeon reportedly said it's 100 percent better.

Best wishes to POB.  No surprise he didn't fit in this offense if you watched UCF.  Yes, Oregon State is a likely landing place.  

16 hours ago, Edison's Enemy said:

I guess I don’t get where the POB is too slow thinking comes from. Frost said himself that a 4.7 guy is definitely capable of running this offense; i.e. Derron Thomas.

POB had a similar 40 time, and had 640 yards/13 TDs on the ground as a junior. As a senior he had 626 yards and 8 touchdowns. He even had a receiving td.

When Lee had his concussion that wasn’t a concussion but was a concussion, POB was able to get 41 yards on the ground, with 14-yard and 12-yard gains. Unfortunately, our line had decided to turn from leaky faucet to a busted dam allowing seven sacks. SEVEN!!! That negated his rushing yardage.

I know when I saw O’Brien running with intent, he was able to get decent chunks.

A291C094-C413-4469-8D3C-297F68E80D4F.gif

As a QB...being a capable runner in high school is not the same as being a capable runner at the college level.

Again, if he proves me wrong good for him.  But until I actually see him run effectively against a Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, et al...I will continue to doubt.

9 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

I know your post is sarcasm.

However, I still cannot believe that are some Husker fans who actually think there are Husker fans who "...wanted POB to fail."

:blink: :facepalm: 

The sheer absurdity of that type of thought is mind-numbing.  No one wanted POB to fail.  It's just many of us saw his lack of speed in the spring game in 2017 and what happened against Minnesota and realized he just didn't have the quicks for Coach Frost's new offense.  He just wasn't a fit for what Frost wants to do offensively.

To Pat O'Brien...best of luck young man.  I wish you nothing but the best where ever you end up.

Edited by Making Chimichangas
  • Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Comfortably Numb said:

So, I’m a little unclear on the rumorville protocol. Does this mean that my rumor was likely well founded and confirmed? We’ll probably never know for sure but it sure seems the way this came about so quickly that there was likely more to it than just a depth chart issue or sudden, oddly timed, realization on POB’s part that he wasn’t cut out for this offense. I think I’ll keep paying attention to this sources info.

I think you're right that there's more to the story.  If you hear anything from your most accurate source and because rumorville vanished, you should probably post it here.  Politeness dictates not to pass along any dirt about POB but if Frost encouraged POB to leave, it would provide insight to how Frost and his staff operate, what they won't tolerate... etc., all of which would be reflected in who they recruit.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

Frost has already run off two scholarship QBs

Three, if you count Darlington.

Edited by Toe
  • Plus1 1