Which Nebraska QB would you choose for Frost's offense?

Pick a Nebraska QB (past or present)  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Players like Gill, Frazier, Frost, Crouch would excel in this offense.  However, much of that is due to our memories of them being very very well coached.  If they were at Nebraska any time from 2004 to 2017, they potentially would be muddled in the middle of the pack with everyone else.

Martinez is the wild card.  I would love to see him in this offense pre injury.  Post injury, his success would mirror what we saw with his career and there would be better options.

My #1 pick is Brook.  The guy was great at making decisions, staying calm under pressure, team player, better passer than the first 4 mentioned and enough speed and athleticism to punish defenses that don't respect it.

His decision making and ability to distribute the ball to play makers would be awesome in this offense.

Nothing against Berringer, but there is no way he would be a better QB that Frazier in any system.

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I really don't care what scouts say.  I saw the 2 QB's play for 4 years.  If I had any QB start for Nebraska regardless of system, it would be Frazier.

So if you were an NFL GM would you have taken Tommie over Brook?  

=======================  

My point above in response to "any system" was that Brook Berringer was more well suited for the NFL than Tommie Frazier.  But you are certainly entitled to your own opinion.  

2 minutes ago, NUance said:

So if you were an NFL GM would you have taken Tommie over Brook?  

=======================  

My point above in response to "any system" was that Brook Berringer was more well suited for the NFL than Tommie Frazier.  But you are certainly entitled to your own opinion.  

Yes, it's probably a crazy opinion to a lot of people, but I would take Tommie over Brook, regardless of system.

This is an unpopular opinion, but I think the romanticism and mythology of Berringer's "greatness" at NU gets overblown with Nebraska fans.  He was definitely a great young man who was a role model to a lot of Nebraska kids, and it's tragic that his life was taken way too soon.  But, IMO, he was just a "good" QB, and isn't in the same league as Frazier, and there are a lot of NU QB's I would put ahead of him.

• Plus1 1

I only voted once for Brook.  To me, he is a great fit for Scott's system but there are many good arguments for others.  I'm guessing Scott could have made many of the guys on this list "serviceable".  If Martinez were on this team this year, my guess is he wouldn't be playing QB but his speed would be utilized in another skill position.  

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, it's probably a crazy opinion to a lot of people, but I would take Tommie over Brook, regardless of system.

This is an unpopular opinion, but I think the romanticism and mythology of Berringer's "greatness" at NU gets overblown with Nebraska fans.  He was definitely a great young man who was a role model to a lot of Nebraska kids, and it's tragic that his life was taken way too soon.  But, IMO, he was just a "good" QB, and isn't in the same league as Frazier, and there are a lot of NU QB's I would put ahead of him.

I don't necessarily agree with your opinion of Berringer as a qb, but I do agree with your view of him being romanticized. It's a situation where his on field accomplishments are maybe remembered a bit greater than reality due to his death, yet if he had been able to play in the NFL and prospered we may view him as the best qb ever to play at Nebraska. His potential being left in perpetuity has both increased and possibly decreased his greatness as a quarterback. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, default_28 said:

I don't necessarily agree with your opinion of Berringer as a qb, but I do agree with your view of him being romanticized. It's a situation where his on field accomplishments are maybe remembered a bit greater than reality due to his death, yet if he had been able to play in the NFL and prospered we may view him as the best qb ever to play at Nebraska. His potential being left in perpetuity has both increased and possibly decreased his greatness as a quarterback. 

1.  I really like this post and I agree.  

2.  Is that "Joey" from the hit band Zit Remedy?  

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, Landlord said:

On a 10 point scale of good decision making, Ganz was an 8 and Martinez was a 4. Related, on a scale of being able to trust your QB to be smart and reliable and safe with the football, probably similar numbers of comparison. Marcus Mariota and McKenzie Milton, before anything else, are savvy, smart quarterbacks who don't make a ton of mistakes. Martinez had way more 'wow' moments that were great and 'wow moments that were headshaking.

T-Mart was closer to Ganz in throwing ability than Ganz was to him in running ability, but he also had a penchant for being a turnover machine. 

From the two years I compared earlier:

Interceptions:

Martinez - 12

Ganz - 11

So I'm not sure where you're coming up with your decision-making rating.  Martinez had turnover issues but they were mainly fumbling and I think a lot of that had to do with being hurt.

43 minutes ago, default_28 said:

I saw both play in person, Tommie was bigger and stronger.  Brook had football IQ and was more accruate.  Tommie is a headcase, this is the reason he was a horrible football coach.  For a pro style offense, I would take Brook.

• Plus1 1

I've got to go with Frazier, he just had IT. Accuracy would definitely be the weakness, but it's also worth pointing out he wasn't being asked to make high percentage throws. We didn't pass to move the ball, we did a lot of deep shots so nobody was going to complete 70% in the mid 90s offense.

Most of the QBs would be great fits though, and then it's just a matter of which strength (accuracy, decision making, athleticism) you like best or which weakness you dislike the most. It's totally unfair because for most of his career the decisions were great, but the OT interception Ganz threw against Texas Tech always comes to mind so I don't tend to consider his decision making a strength. He'd do well in this offense though.

• Plus1 1