Which QB Should Be The Starter

Starting QB  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Branno said:

I respectfully disagree with this opinion and feel the risks outweigh the rewards in a season most have written off. 

I just don't get the idea of playing it scared.  We've been told Martinez is at 90%, he will have another 4 months to heal and get his throwing shoulder stronger.  Martinez hurt his shoulder in February 2017, so he's already had over a year of letting it heal.  I don't know how much healthier it will get by sitting him out in 2018.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I just don't get the idea of playing it scared.  We've been told Martinez is at 90%, he will have another 4 months to heal and get his throwing shoulder stronger.  Martinez hurt his shoulder in February 2017, so he's already had over a year of letting it heal.  I don't know how much healthier it will get by sitting him out in 2018.

Its not just his shoulder recovery, it’s multi faceted. There are multiple reasons to let him redshirt, I don’t believe there is any real benefit to starting him this year and I don’t get why you and others feel the rush. 

Let him get another year to learn the system, heal, grow, and still have 4 years to start. Gebbia will be a pretty damned good QB in this system and Bunch looks surprisingly good.

There is no immediate need to start Martinez. 

13 minutes ago, Branno said:

Its not just his shoulder recovery, it’s multi faceted. There are multiple reasons to let him redshirt, I don’t believe there is any real benefit to starting him this year and I don’t get why you and others feel the rush. 

Let him get another year to learn the system, heal, grow, and still have 4 years to start. Gebbia will be a pretty damned good QB in this system and Bunch looks surprisingly good.

There is no immediate need to start Martinez. 

If he's the best QB, he should play.

• Plus1 6
36 minutes ago, Branno said:

I understand your argument, and I have stated why I disagree. It’s clear you either don’t care or aren’t listening to what I say so let’s leave it at that. 

I agree with your logic, but as a fan I think this season will be more fun to watch Martinez play, even if it doesn't get us any extra wins with the death schedule. I know it's short sighted, but I'm greedy I guess.

2 hours ago, Branno said:

No doubt Martinez is the best fit as Frost QB, but I think with the schedule we have this year it makes sense to redshirt him unless there is a major injury to Gebbia.

I’ve heard this before. What do we want to wait for if he is already the better guy? I

why not play the guy suited for your offense if he is already the best guy? Not saying he is for sure, but if Frost thinks he is, he isn’t going to say, alright, we’re going to RS you and start our 2nd best QB.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, ScottyIce said:

I’ve heard this before. What do we want to wait for if he is already the better guy? I

why not play the guy suited for your offense if he is already the best guy? Not saying he is for sure, but if Frost thinks he is, he isn’t going to say, alright, we’re going to RS you and start our 2nd best QB.

Because there are enough other missing pieces on the team in this transition year that we may not gain much from playing him. Perhaps, even though he is the better guy saving him makes the most sense in the long run.

The ceiling isn't that very this year. Transition year. New coach in every position. Really tough schedule.

I would understand either way Frost goes here. Get the best guy in place and play him, or teach him up and save some eligibility when he is closer to his prime. It's not hard logic to follow, really. Just depends what Frost wants to do.

2 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Frost's history at UCF backs you. Neither Milton nor Vedral redshirted. Frost is realistic in terms of expectations and realizing how fast things happen, but he is not a particularly patient man when it comes to winning. 

A lot of these guys won't be redshirting, at many positions. 

3 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

I think everyone is forgetting that Gebbia and Martinez ran against the 2nd string defense and Bunch ran against the 1's (at least that's what the newspaper guys said).

To me, that's indicative of a GREAT performance by Bunch.

The defense was more evenly split in terms of expected 1s than the offense was, though who sits where on the depth chart is full of speculation and guessing.  Bunch and Vedral did have what is widely believed to be the non-starting offensive line at this point. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Sparker said:

I would understand either way Frost goes here. Get the best guy in place and play him, or teach him up and save some eligibility when he is closer to his prime. It's not hard logic to follow, really. Just depends what Frost wants to do.

The thing with redshirts though is it can cost you a year of eligibility if the player leaves early. A player has to be 3 years removed from high school to declare for the draft. It doesn't happen often, but you do see some "redshirt sophomores", like Sam Darnold this year, enter the draft. That's a player you only had eligible his RS frosh/soph years.

A big reason you don't see more of these redshirt sophomores as early draft entrees is because so many of these guys never redshirted at all. I'm not remotely suggesting Martinez is an early entry based on one spring game, but the QBs under Frost at Oregon and UCF put up the kinds of numbers that would have made them considerations for doing so.

One final note on this subject: the NFL for the last several years has seen record numbers of early entrants, and there is a good reason why. When the league changed its rookie contract structure several years ago, it made the second contract of a player's career the big contract. There isn't nearly the disparity in pay for the top guys vs a mid round pick that there once was. It's better for a player to enter earlier and start the clock than stay a year longer and hope his stock improves. 

• Plus1 2

6 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

I'd sure hate to lose the freshman Martinez to a blown knee.  He is the future for sure but would be nice if we could bring him along a while.  A man is much stronger at 22, 23 than at 19.  So if he gets a bad injury, or is forced to play instead of heal, he never reaches his full potential.

Dudes body looks way more ready for it than Gebbia.

• Plus1 1

I believe that SF showed about 1/3 of his offense and didn't want to go fast - because the speed of this offense will be equally as important as the variety of plays.  With that said -  Bunch seemed to have the best control of his group.  If you watch the tempo when he is in it seemed quicker then either TG or AM.  So when NU opens up the play book and goes 110 miles an hour AB is the guy. 

Now by late in the season i could see AM taking over this team.

3 hours ago, Sparker said:

Because there are enough other missing pieces on the team in this transition year that we may not gain much from playing him. Perhaps, even though he is the better guy saving him makes the most sense in the long run.

The ceiling isn't that very this year. Transition year. New coach in every position. Really tough schedule.

Lol, so this line of thinking says Martinez will be the only good QB Frost will land, so we should save him so that we have him when our team has a chance, because after that there will be no chance for Frosty to even have a mediocre QB....

How about Martinez starts now and we land a good QB in every class to compete with him and then the best man takes over when ever he graduates or they pass AM on the depth chart?

• Plus1 1

I say you start AM game 1 if he's the best player.

If in game 6 he's a smidgen better than your starter, you save the redshirt.

That doesn't mean I think Frost will do that. He did play Vedral in garbage time last year, so I'm guessing if Martinez is 2nd string, he'll play. Although I dunno if UCF had another QB on the roster last year. Maybe Vedral was easily the 2nd best and the 3rd guy was awful.

• Plus1 1