Mavric

New Tunnel Walk Ideas 2018

Tunnel Walk Music  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A couple hours from now Moos probably heads this way, pours himself a whiskey neat, and chuckles at how many people will have lost their collective minds. Excellent troll job, sir! 

I'm willing to bet there have been players asking for change and that is why Moos says this.  If that's the case I'm fine with it.  They are the ones about to play not the fans in the stands.  If they want to walk out to some crap Kanye song and it pumps them up I'm all for it.  

3 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I'm willing to bet there have been players asking for change and that is why Moos says this.  If that's the case I'm fine with it.  They are the ones about to play not the fans in the stands.  If they want to walk out to some crap Kanye song and it pumps them up I'm all for it.  

I agree and honestly think it is probably time for a change. I think the players should have a say and, based off some of the quotes from Frost, it sounds like he thinks the same way. I think both Moos and Frost have a great understanding of the need to honor the past but also realize these players are the future of the program and we should accommodate many of their reasonable requests.

• Plus1 1

My guess is they'll have a remix of sorts and keep the initial part of Sirius as they walk through the tunnel and as they run onto the field it'll change to something more modern.

TBH, I imagine that most players are kinda indifferent about the issue. They have bigger things to worry about.

On 7/23/2018 at 7:54 PM, Toe said:

TBH, I imagine that most players are kinda indifferent about the issue. They have bigger things to worry about.

Same thing with some of the fan base,  all I want is for it to be so loud when they come out on the field it hurts.  GBR.

33 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

I’m assuming there’s going to be some sort of monitors / light show going on where you see the construction? 

That's what I thought too. Would be cool if they could make it kinda dark in there.

I noticed this during the BTN coverage.  I thought they looked different but couldn't remember for sure.

Yeah, that's much more plain than the old one. I'm betting that the parts that are under construction are some type of memorials, they wouldn't just leave these guys out:

KCYMPHQSGMWZGTM.20060903003341.JPG

10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

That's what I thought too. Would be cool if they could make it kinda dark in there.

That would be pretty awesome, it is always interesting to see how the tunnel walk is modified year over year.

I know its just a gate but I like the new(bars) gate a lot better. I thought the old gate(solid) looked kind of cheesy with the football silhouette players on it. 

• Plus1 2

7 hours ago, NebraskaHarry said:

I thought the old gate(solid) looked kind of cheesy with the football silhouette players on it. 

what-the-gif-7.gif

• Plus1 1

Oh geez. I don't really mind it all too much, but we keep adding all these, dare I say, gimmicky little additions to the Tunnel Walk and production of home games that just don't seem all that necessary. The smoke machines, the strobey ambulance lights in the tunnel, the like 18 flags they now carry out, that gate thing was kind of cheesy as well (in the Callahan days when it was closed and they pulled it open), but I wonder what this new screen addition is going to look and feel like.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

That's disappointing. The overhang and gates were a part of the aesthetic that I really liked. 

I'm wondering if the gates are just unfinished. The old ones looked pretty cool, the blank bars currently there not so much.

4 hours ago, Landlord said:

Oh geez. I don't really mind it all too much, but we keep adding all these, dare I say, gimmicky little additions to the Tunnel Walk and production of home games that just don't seem all that necessary. The smoke machines, the strobey ambulance lights in the tunnel, the like 18 flags they now carry out, that gate thing was kind of cheesy as well (in the Callahan days when it was closed and they pulled it open), but I wonder what this new screen addition is going to look and feel like.

I agree that most of these additions/changes have been pretty cheesy. Particularly I never have liked the flag carrying. It always struck me as insincere and patronizing. The solid player silhouetted doors or barred gates don't really matter either way to me but this new screen deal......it could be used in a cool, unique way and be okay or they could go full on Vegas and detract further from the tradition. We'll just have to wait and see. The only changes I would be really happy to see would be ending the players carrying flags out and changing the song to Enter Sandman. I'm okay with leaving it Sirius but I feel Enter Sandman would be a better (the best) choice. I'll reserve judgement on the new video board until I see what they do with it.

• Plus1 1

I like the idea of the flags, but it does come across as a hulk Hogan sort of entrance at times without know the entire backstory, so I can imagine how it would play with opposing teams fans who only watch us once or twice a year.

I'd be happy if we got rid of the smoke machine.... I'd like it more of they put it under the stadium, at the locker room doors.

I heard this song on the radio and it IMMEDIATELY made me think of Scott Frost and Nebraska. For a tunnel walk, I'd have it begin at 0:26. I think Sirius is dated for a tunnel walk theme.

On 8/26/2018 at 5:19 AM, JJ Husker said:

changing the song to Enter Sandman. I'm okay with leaving it Sirius but I feel Enter Sandman would be a better (the best) choice.

Leave that song to Virginia Tech. And if we change the song, I'd still prefer something that's not so old. Sirius was about 12 years old when we first started using it, while Enter Sandman is now 27 years old.

54 minutes ago, Toe said:

Leave that song to Virginia Tech. And if we change the song, I'd still prefer something that's not so old. Sirius was about 12 years old when we first started using it, while Enter Sandman is now 27 years old.

You leave it to Va Tech, I want it. Don’t care how old it is or if somebody else is using it. And yes I realize it’s probably not changing from Sirius (which also was being used by others before us) but it would be my preference. Show me a better intro song and I’ll consider it. That hasn’t happened in this thread yet.

BTW, I also like the gates with bars better than the solid panels with player silhouettes :dunno

They changed the entrance to the field. They removed the old doors and installed a gate, and now there's a video board surrounding the entrance.

cpX4J8Q.jpg

We'll see how it looks during the game, but to be honest, I don't like it. To me, Memorial Stadium has a very stately feel, and this kinda cheapens it, I think.

9 minutes ago, Toe said:

We'll see how it looks during the game, but to be honest, I don't like it. To me, Memorial Stadium has a very stately feel, and this kinda cheapens it, I think.

There are video boards over every tunnel entrance now, have been for a year or so. We have ribbon boards all along east & west stadium, and a giant video board over north stadium. On top of that, we have four screens on each of the old pediments, two of which are wrap-around screens.

One more video board isn't going to cheapen things that much.  :D

• Plus1 4

Part of what makes me cringe is the way it's just slapped on top of the old entrance, covering up the Nebraska logo. They could've at least matched the arch of the entrance - it's not like non-rectangular screens can't be built. And I still really hope they do something more with the gate, as the new one as it stands is easily a big step backwards from the old one.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Toe said:

Part of what makes me cringe is the way it's just slapped on top of the old entrance, covering up the Nebraska logo. They could've at least matched the arch of the entrance. (There's curved screens at the north end of the stadium, it's not like these things can't be built.) And I still really hope they do something with the gate, as the new one doesn't look nearly as good as the old one.

Can't please everyone. I think it looks awesome. New gate looks just as good as the old. It's time to change some things and minor things like this are a great way to do it. 

@Ziebol Seriously? You honestly think generic black bars look just as good as the bas-relief sculptures of some legendary Huskers?

6 minutes ago, Toe said:

@Ziebol Seriously? You honestly think generic black bars look just as good as the bas-relief sculptures of some legendary Huskers?

Generic black bars with a fully functional LED video board around it? Yes I do. See Colorado State stadium and what they do with their lights. Younger crowds will gravitate to that a lot more.  I am entitled to my opinion as you are to yours. 

Not to mention those statues were beginning to turn green

• Plus1 1

I saw that they replaced the East and West Stadium lights with LEDs. If they are able to change the colors of these lights, could this mean changing them to red for the tunnel walk? Imagine that at night

• Plus1 1

I think that screen is gonna look pretty awesome lit up before night games. I do have to agree with @Toe though they could have done a little more work to make it fit with the environment. The straight bottom edge with the arch visible behind looks bad.  Hopefully at some point they put a little design effort into it. It looks like maybe its set up with laser lights on the side to add a little extra flair. 

• Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, InOmaha said:

Saliva's "Ladies and Gentlemen" would be a good song.

Used to be iowa states song

• Plus1 1

On 8/27/2018 at 3:24 PM, knapplc said:

They changed the entrance to the field. They removed the old doors and installed a gate, and now there's a video board surrounding the entrance.

cpX4J8Q.jpg

I don't mind that they are in fact doing that, but yeah, it looks pretty poor and like a patch work still seeing the old facade underneath of it so clearly. I'll wait to see it in action though.

On 8/27/2018 at 4:15 PM, Toe said:

I wonder what they've done with these doors. They should be placed somewhere around the athletic facilities.

33 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I wonder what they've done with these doors. They should be placed somewhere around the athletic facilities.

They were talking about this on the HOL podcast.  They didn't know exactly where they were but it was their understanding that they had been moved to a different location as opposed to discarded.

It would be awesome if the smoke machine started going , and out drives a big combine harvester painted with the logos, with Herbie at the wheel and it drives out  leading the team , kind of like the Sooner Schooner.  

Doesn’t need to come out after every touchdown, but what a cool entrance that would be.  And for no good reason at all, it has a train diesel horn just blaring .