Govt & Election Reform Mega Thread

4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You do this quite often.  Darn near every time I share an article you claim I’m acting outraged.  I understand that you may use posting articles as a way to show outrage, however, it’s also possible that others share articles for informational purposes like normal rational people tend to do.  

As far as the legislation passed goes,  was it a standalone bill specifically related to dark money?   I believe the answer is no.  

Sorry, did you post it to congratulate him on his accomplishments in this area?

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sorry, did you post it to congratulate him on his accomplishments in this area?

Ah, more snark.  you just can’t seem to resist. 
No I posted to show the theme of dark money helping Republicans has shifted to Democrats.  Dems aren’t doing anything wrong.  Their playing by the same rules as Republicans.  They just did it much better in 2020.  

I just wonder how many people knew this.  I didn’t

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

No I posted to show the theme of dark money helping Republicans has shifted to Democrats.  Dems aren’t doing anything wrong.  Their playing by the same rules as Republicans.  They just did it much better in 2020.  

OK

Now, let's work to eliminate dark money and support politicians who want to do that.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

One time does isn't generally considered a trend.  But it will definitely be interesting to see what happens in the future.  Was Trump just that bad? Or are people losing faith in the entire GOP?

Six months ago, I would have thought the main goal was to bring back some stability.  But with the GOP seeming to double down with Trump's rhetoric, it might continue to cost them.  We'll see :dunno

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I understand.  You don't support making it easier for Americans to vote.  So, you don't support the bill.

Actually you don’t understand, like usual, and in my view on purpose.  If it’s a stand alone bill, I could get behind it.  If it’s included with other things I disagree with, then I don’t support that bill. 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Actually you don’t understand, like usual, and in my view on purpose.  If it’s a stand alone bill, I could get behind it.  If it’s included with other things I disagree with, then I don’t support that bill. 

Yes I do understand. You don't support those other measures that make it easier for people to vote.  You've made that clear and what I was talking about.

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Exactly. It is a plan of action by certain groups. 

Like the Cuddly Puppies Act as described by Ben Sasse.

You sir, are a puppy hater :laughpound

• Plus1 2

-”Activists are calling on Senate Democrats to kill the filibuster to enact once-in-a-generation voting rights legislation. But Joe Manchin wants his party to step away from the edge.

In a lengthy statement on Thursday, Manchin urged fellow Democrats to take a bipartisan approach rather than try and jam through a massive reform package on party lines.

"Pushing through legislation of this magnitude on a partisan basis may garner short-term benefits, but will inevitably only exacerbate the distrust that millions of Americans harbor against the U.S. government,” Manchin said."

-"Republicans say they have little desire to engage because they fundamentally don’t believe Congress should tell states how to run elections."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2021/03/25/manchin-voting-rights-compromise-477976

***Don't think Manchin is making friends on either side, and if his reluctance causes the dems congress in '22, they will bury him in 2024.

35 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

-"Republicans say they have little desire to engage because they fundamentally don’t believe Congress should tell states how to run elections."

I think this is a fundamental flaw in our process.  Republicans are saying this because they don't want the federal government telling Republican states they can't do things like gerrymandering.

Interestingly though, they just thought it was horrible when states changed their voting laws this past election.  THEN, it's fine for the federal government to tell states they can't do that.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, schriznoeder said:

@Archy1221 can you justify this?  How is this addressing "voter fraud" which is what all this legislation is supposed to be about, right?  How is giving another human being water criminal?  Does this law not seem to strike at the heart of our democracy? Are you good with this?  

• Plus1 2