Govt & Election Reform Mega Thread

21 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Because I’m still waiting for an answer to a question I asked before all that came up.  That’s how a conversation works. 

i am still waiting for your answer about where the democrats campaigned for open borders.   you never did answer that question.  

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, commando said:

i am still waiting for your answer about where the democrats campaigned for open borders.   you never did answer that question.  

Or the question I asked that he never answered on pg. 6 of this thread and again on pg. 8.  Same question.  Same dodge.  

• Plus1 2

Am I reading the law wrong?  I interpret it people can’t solicit votes by giving out drinks.  If I’m just handing out water bottles and saying “have a good day”, I don’t think it’s illegal.  Unless I’m wearing a candidates gear.  Which is illegal in most places I think; at least in NE.

10 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Am I reading the law wrong?  I interpret it people can’t solicit votes by giving out drinks.  If I’m just handing out water bottles and saying “have a good day”, I don’t think it’s illegal.  Unless I’m wearing a candidates gear.  Which is illegal in most places I think; at least in NE.

It says "No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person give, offer to give, or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to an elector"

That doesn't mean giving out water to solicit votes.  It means give out water to any voter waiting, period.

The law that is being repealed said:

"No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition, nor shall any person, other than election officials discharging their duties, establish or set up any tables or booths on any day in which ballots are being cast:"

So obviously the new language is put in to make it illegal to give someone waiting to vote water.  No solicitation required.

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

“I have arranged with Dodge City Transit to ensure that there will be temporary bus stops directly in front of these polling places on Election Day.  (Routes will be temporarily modified that day.)  Moreover, as usual, Dodge City Transit will provide free, door-to-door bus service to the polling places on Election Day.”  From the county election office. 

public transportation is free at least for those without their own transportation. 

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

What areas are you talking about. Who is the “they” you posted about. 

Probably the anonymous "they" who had their votes suppressed.  

In my state the rule is no approaching people within 50 feet of the door to the polling place.   Beyond that I was constantly being approached with water, chips, beads, and 'information.'

I was in line for 45 minutes with only the last 10 being in the quiet zone,  but that was my choice.  Anyone can go to any poll in the county or vote early.

• Plus1 3
13 hours ago, Scarlet said:

@Archy1221 can you justify this?  How is this addressing "voter fraud" which is what all this legislation is supposed to be about, right?  How is giving another human being water criminal?  Does this law not seem to strike at the heart of our democracy? Are you good with this?  

Maybe they don’t want people coming up to voters while waiting in line and telling them who to vote for.  People are still allowed to bring their own water though.  

Im fine with it cause it much to do about nothing.  Bring a drink if you anticipate a line.   That answer everything for you?  

• Plus1 2

The laws were made from a time when buying votes was somewhat normal. 

Back When Everyone Knew How You Voted | The National Endowment for the Humanities (neh.gov)

The practice of offering a dollar or two, a congratulatory tipple, or other goods—sometimes referred to as “soap”—for the trouble of voting was so common as to be considered socially acceptable. “In some instances,” Peter Argersinger, a historian of American populism, has written, “political leaders even agreed across party lines to standardize bribery practices and prices.”

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Maybe they don’t want people coming up to voters while waiting in line and telling them who to vote for.  People are still allowed to bring their own water though.  

Im fine with it cause it much to do about nothing.  Bring a drink if you anticipate a line.   That answer everything for you?  

No.  You never answered the question about why the Republicans are going through all these gyrations to change the election law under the debunked guise of "voter fraud"?  

You know the giving food and water provision was put in to discourage people waiting in line for hours.  

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

No.  You never answered the question about why the Republicans are going through all these gyrations to change the election law under the debunked guise of "voter fraud"?  

You know the giving food and water provision was put in to discourage people waiting in line for hours.  

People can’t wait one hour to eat???  Bring a water with you if your worried about dehydration.  

Limiting contact with people while in line to vote is a good thing in my opinion.  If you are asking about waiting in line for hours, ask the Democrats why they don’t have more polling places in GA democrat run counties.  

• Plus1 2
26 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

People can’t wait one hour to eat???  Bring a water with you if your worried about dehydration.  

Limiting contact with people while in line to vote is a good thing in my opinion.  If you are asking about waiting in line for hours, ask the Democrats why they don’t have more polling places in GA democrat run counties.  

Ummm...you didn't answer the question.  I'll ask it a different way.  Since voter fraud has been debunked, not proven, and definitely not proven in a court of law to have impacted the results of the most recent election and since the head of election security, a Trump appointee, claimed this was the most secure election in our county's history, why then would the Republicans go through the whole dog and pony show of "making the elections more secure" by making it harder to vote and thus reducing voter turnout?

I'll answer for you.  The less people vote the better chance the Republicans have.  Does that sound like a healthy party or democracy?   I'll answer that too.  No.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

"making the elections more secure" by making it harder to vote and thus reducing voter turnout?

It will not be hard to vote after any of those laws take effect.  If there is less voter turnout, that would be a problem to blame on those that don’t turn out.  The whole notion that it will be “harder” to vote is dumb.  

• Plus1 1