Corn Nation Editorial: The Grass is Only Greener in an Absence of Hope, Coach

It’s time for Frost and friends to focus on the task at hand and to stop talking about the past.

It was in an interview. Im sure he doesnt sit around all day ruminating on past staffs and administrations.  Is there any room at this point to question the focus of this staff?!  Frost gets to have a small beef with fans if he wants also. He knows first hand that our overwhelming passion isnt always milk and honey.  Winning will put all this editorial nonsense to bed and give the media something better to talk about hopefully. 

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Wonder if there is more context to that answer. He has stated before that Bo couldn't get over the hump etc several times before. Scott is too smart to just have an open ended answer like that without context in my opinion. 

I was thinking there might be more context to that quote as well! I don't see Frost praising the fans like he has then turning around and scolding them, just seems odd.

Frost is someone who passionately loves this state and this football program.  Like a lot of us, he's disappointed with the last 20 years of Nebraska football. He knows a lot more than most of us about how all of that went down, who made the mistakes and why they made them.

So you put a microphone in front of that guy and ask him questions about it, he's going to express that passion.  People can quibble over the words he used, but bottom line is, everyone says things ineloquently, or more pointedly than they intend, all the time.

Maybe that's how he really feels. Maybe that's only part of the quotes and we're missing a lot of context. Maybe there's not a lot more to any of it than that. 

• Plus1 2

You have Tom Osborne as a common thread for all of Nebraska's struggles after 1997 but clearly if you point that out you're the problem, just like Harvey Perlman is the root of all evil in Nebraska athletics.

Nevermind the fact that any sport that Osborne didn't touch as an AD is functioning just fine right now.

The fact that Nebraska handed off their national championship program to a running backs coach who got turned down by Minnesota is apparently just part of Osborne's genius.

I'm sorry that I don't worship the ground Osborne walks on. He was a fine football coach. He's been positively destructive to everything outside of TeamMates since.

If you can't recognize that literally every sport he touched as AD has struggled since, not sure I can do anything. The renovations on the stadium and other stuff? In the works before he showed up. PBA was forced on him.

Guy was there to try and fix his mistake with Solich, and he bungled that and left so it would be someone else's problem to fix. But yeah, he was a GREAT AD, right mhmm.

Incompetent leadership by Perlman didn't get Osborne installed permanently - it was the fans' blind passion for a man who had chosen poorly for his successor. Perlman's hand was forced.

It was Osborne's refusal or inability to control Pelini's emotional outbursts that led to Eichorst and all of that garbage. Perlman failed in his leadership, but it all stems back to 1998.

But whatever. Y'all keep living in your bubble that the 1990s were amazing and there were no gray areas and Nebraska never did anything shady under Osborne and Solich just needed more time and whatever other bulls#!t rationalizations we have to make in order to ignore questions.

I want to be excited for this staff, but if that means I have to accept your version of Tom Osborne, I'm sorry, but I won't. Probably means I shouldn't write for @CornNation any more, but goddamn, I'm not compromising myself to believe in a fake version of Nebraska.

We're not perfect, never were, and there's questionable actions by the leadership. Osborne's decisions as a head coach, while maybe taken from good intentions, were bad. And the hero worship, woof, I will never accept that.

I liked the Riley hire because I was hopeful Nebraska could/would move on from all the rose-colored memories of the 1990s. I admit it blinded me a bit to Riley's, um, limitations. But I desperately wanted, needed Nebraska to be able to survive without Tom Osborne hanging over it.

I want to believe that Nebraska could function outside of Osborne's circle, because what happens when the Good Lord calls him home? Do we just fold up the program, call it quits? What happens if Frost fails to bring home trophies?

We're delaying an existential crisis all in the interest of Instagram-able memories of Nebraska, while ignoring the issues that have led us here in the first place. It worries me. But whatever.

https://twitter.com/SaltCreekGBR/status/989131936269512704

There's your author defending his article.

TLDR: It's all Tom's fault, Harvey did his best, and SE was a fall guy because of the fans.

Unbelievable.

• Plus1 5

The article is dumb and I fully agree with Scott's statements. When we won 6 games and then 4 games last season I would have donated a kidney to win 9 games for 8 straight years again. It was atrocious to watch this football team under terrible leadership and coaching staff. Scott knows that if Bo would have just won 1 conference championship everyone would have backed off. That's is all we are asking for at this time. 1999 isn't getting any younger. 

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Did Frost steal their girlfriend? Piss in their Cheerios? 

Exactly my first thought; that the writer has a personal issue with Frost, Doc Tom, Husker success, etc...

Oh yeah, and also that the guy is a self important douchebag!

• Plus1 1