Husker Undrafted Free Agents

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

REALLY sucks for Jones.  He had a pretty good chance to get drafted last year.  Comes back.  Gets hurt.  Suffers through a dysfunctional four-win season.  And here he is.

Yes, he would have been drafted last year. Rushing back from injury to jump onto our sinking ship played hell with his draft status. May have been better-off just using his shirt after getting hurt then showing what he can do this coming season. 

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

We agree Gate's lacks work ethic.  However, my analysis it goes deeper than that.  Remember how badly he got whipped by that player from Tennessee in the bowl game two years ago?  Realistically, what has he done since to make himself a better player?  In the NFL he'll be going against guys better than that every day in practice and during exhibition games.  He basically blew off, or did the absolute minimum, in S&C for 3 years while at Nebraska and his poor physical performance at the combine showed it.  He's too slow and weak for OT, not strong enough to be OG, and well I won't finish that comment about him being an OC.   

And DPE...will make an NFL team--I think.  I think he has a better shot than Gates by far.  If he actually gets some blocking, he could be special again in the punt return game.  And in reality, DPE could make a team just playing special teams.

We're going to agree to disagree here and that's absolutely fine.  I think Gates has a better shot at making a roster simply because the OL has more slots open and therefore more opportunities.  I don't think DPE is good enough to make a NFL team as a WR and unless you're Devin Hester a NFL roster slot is far too valuable to use on a guy who only runs back punts and I think you'd agree with me that DPE is no Devin Hester.  Now, I admittedly didn't watch Nebraska's special teams too closely so I'm not sure if DPE played on any of the other teams outside of just being the punt returner.  I really hope both guys make teams and DPE is able to recapture the magic he had his freshman year when you held your breath every time he caught a punt because there was a non zero chance he was going to house it.

I can't find the source(s), but I remember on more than one occasion in the last several months people saying Gates had one of the better chances to make an NFL team (if not second behind Lee) because of the way the NFL is structured, how practices work, etc. It was later speculated that this would cater to his apparent lack of work ethic.

I don't generally care enough about the NFL to know if that's wholly true, but, I know it has been proffered more than once.

• Plus1 1

I agree with Chimi on this one.  Gates initially showed great potential but the last 2 years have been dismal as far as I have been able to observe.  Work ethic, attitude not very good. While the NFL is structured in  away that Enhance notes should benefit Gates, I find it hard to believe there won't be plenty of more qualified/skilled OL to take those spots.   I wish him well regardless. 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Enhance said:

I can't find the source(s), but I remember on more than one occasion in the last several months people saying Gates had one of the better chances to make an NFL team (if not second behind Lee) because of the way the NFL is structured, how practices work, etc. It was later speculated that this would cater to his apparent lack of work ethic.

I don't generally care enough about the NFL to know if that's wholly true, but, I know it has been proffered more than once.

+1 for the use of the word, "proffered".

• 2 weeks later...