2020 Recruiting Notes

11 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

Hmmmmmmm idk about this one. But offering another PG means to me one of two things: 

1. Green is leaving and we need another guard 

2. We need a backup ball handler next year outside of Banton and Mack 

Do you think Banton starts and plays the back up point guard role? That is what I am thinking but wanted your input.

10 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

Do you think Banton starts and plays the back up point guard role? That is what I am thinking but wanted your input.

If I had to project a starting 5 next year at this point it would be 

Mack

Stevenson

Thor

Banton

Ouedraogo

Bench Rotation guys: 

Burke

Walker

Cross

Allen

Deep bench guys:

Arop (if he’s here)

Green (if he’s here)

Mayen 

Easley

If we get Whitt to reclassify he joins the bench rotation and I’d guess Allen drops out even though he’s technically a forward and Whitt is a guard. They like Whitt a lot and I’d say he’d be a true backup point to Mack next year if they land him. If not then yeah I don’t think there will be a “true” backup- it’ll be more point guard by committee with Banton leading that role if needed. Between Burke, Banton, and Stevenson they can probably get through 4-5 minutes with Cam on the bench (they do this as is with Green, Burke, Cheatham). The whole idea of getting a bunch of guys that are 6’6-6’9 is that they’re all able to rotate/substitute for each other even if they play different positions. And Banton has added enough muscle (20+ lbs) that he can guard the 4 and also be a ball handler on O if needed. Mack/Stevenson/Thor/Banton gives us enough shooting and spacing on O with Ouedraogo down low. 

1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

Mack

Stevenson

Thor

Banton

Ouedraogo

Bench Rotation guys: 

Burke

Walker

Cross

Allen

Deep bench guys:

Arop (if he’s here)

Green (if he’s here)

Mayen 

Easley

If we get Whitt to reclassify he joins the bench rotation and I’d guess Allen drops out even though he’s technically a forward and Whitt is a guard. They like Whitt a lot and I’d say he’d be a true backup point to Mack next year if they land him. If not then yeah I don’t think there will be a “true” backup- it’ll be more point guard by committee with Banton leading that role if needed. Between Burke, Banton, and Stevenson they can probably get through 4-5 minutes with Cam on the bench (they do this as is with Green, Burke, Cheatham). The whole idea of getting a bunch of guys that are 6’6-6’9 is that they’re all able to rotate/substitute for each other even if they play different positions. And Banton has added enough muscle (20+ lbs) that he can guard the 4 and also be a ball handler on O if needed. Mack/Stevenson/Thor/Banton gives us enough shooting and spacing on O with Ouedraogo down low. 

I look at this list and wonder how many will stay as there is not enough playing time.  I believe that Green may leave after this year and  Arop will stick around for at least 1 more year.   Easley will continue to get playing time, as Fred really likes his hustle.   I'm sure Mayen is not coming here to sit the pine, unless he has 3 years.  It will be fun next year, as there will be plenty of competition to win playing time.

3 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

Mack

Stevenson

Thor

Banton

Ouedraogo

Bench Rotation guys: 

Burke

Walker

Cross

Allen

Deep bench guys:

Arop (if he’s here)

Green (if he’s here)

Mayen 

Easley

I'd agree with almost all of that except I don't see Ourdrago maintaining a starting role unless his hands and finishing ability improves dramatically

1 hour ago, Comish said:

I'd agree with almost all of that except I don't see Ourdrago maintaining a starting role unless his hands and finishing ability improves dramatically

It’ll be either him or Walker and given how young he is I expect a big time jump from him this offseason (he’s still not even 18). But yeah you can flip flop them if you’d like.

• Mavric changed the title to 2020 Recruiting Notes

18 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

I think Jervay might be told to move on. A walk-on could also be in the mix above. So that covers three of the four. We need to see if someone else moves on. 

Good chance that when you see 13/14 new players and most envision themselves being in the mix that 2-4 would move on if things don't go as they had hoped.

• Mavric unpinned this topic