Ben Miles....

3 hours ago, NUance said:

Yeah, and I probly exaggerate about recruiting a guy like Andy Janovich.  If a Jano-like player came along now in Nebraska high school football I'm guessing the current staff would find a place for him.  Heck, Jano was mostly a special teams demon his first couple of years at NU, IIRC.   

Plus the staff has made concerted attempts to reach out to the high school coaches and communities to let them know how players would be integrated into the program. 

21 hours ago, brophog said:

There is still that physicality in this offense, it just comes from the TE position. The FB is increasingly rare across all levels of football in part because it is a fairly specialized position in a game that is becoming positionless.

This offense is an amazing TE offense. They play inline, slot, wide, h-back, and probably some things we don't even have names for.  Getting so much out of the TE position is just another layer of things you have to somehow account for with this offense.

That's what kinda surprised me though...FB and TE are usually inter-changable.  Basically the ideal type of guy you want at TE is the same as what you want at FB: 6'2" 240 ish who can run, block, and catch.  I wonder if Miles just had no interest in trying TE, or maybe he did try and it (in this instance) just didn't work out?

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

That's what kinda surprised me though...FB and TE are usually inter-changable.  Basically the ideal type of guy you want at TE is the same as what you want at FB: 6'2" 240 ish who can run, block, and catch.  I wonder if Miles just had no interest in trying TE, or maybe he did try and it (in this instance) just didn't work out?

Some teams, and I believe Nebraska is one of them, want more length at the position.

The fact we all kinda dance around is roster makeover is part of a coaching change, and someone had to leave. 

A quick look at the roster shows the only TE below 6'3" is Bo Kitrell at 6'1". Most are 6'4" up to 6'8". Ben Miles is right around the 6'1" mark. So, I think the assessment that they want more length at the position is accurate.

Frost has also been going through all of his one-on-one meetings with the players and so, based on all of this, I think we can make a fair estimate as to what Frost said to him: his position doesn't exist anymore and he may struggle to compete and play at another spot on the field.

12 minutes ago, Enhance said:

A quick look at the roster shows the only TE below 6'3" is Bo Kitrell at 6'1". Most are 6'4" up to 6'8". Ben Miles is right around the 6'1" mark. So, I think the assessment that they want more length at the position is accurate.

Frost has also been going through all of his one-on-one meetings with the players and so, based on all of this, I think we can make a fair estimate as to what Frost said to him: his position doesn't exist anymore and he may struggle to compete and play at another spot on the field.

IIRC, Kitrell had been at FB in past. 

On 5/3/2018 at 10:03 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

Todd Christensen did well making the switch. He was 6'3" and 230.

23 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

This one kind of felt like a no brainer when Frost said the FB was out.

Kind of a bummer because it would have been fun to see Ben in a power offense but at least he will have a chance to move on now and still play somewhere.

there aren't many systems left that feature a FB.......everyone wants every touch made by  a guy who can take it to the house.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Headed to Texas A&M. Interesting

Pretty good landing spot all things considered.  Assuming Jimbo brings his offense from FSU, he carried a couple fullbacks on the roster.  Miles could possibly fill a similar role that Johnathan Vickers did for FSU which was a hybrid fullback/TE position over his career.  I hope Miles is able to excel down at College Station.