Audit finds mismanagement in Washington State athletics while Moos was AD

Huh, imagine that.....they’re having budgetary issues so instead of solving them they’re blaming the guy that is no longer there. I think we’ve all seen this same tactic at our own places of employment. At least it’s very common in the corporate world. This causes me absolutely no concern when it comes to Moos now being in charge of our athletic department. Even if there was some funny accounting going on in the athletic department at Wazzou I’m guessing NU doesn’t have the same challenges and doesn’t need to skew the numbers like might be required for any AD at WSU.

• Plus1 4

4 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Huh, imagine that.....they’re having budgetary issues so instead of solving them they’re blaming the guy that is no longer there. I think we’ve all seen this same tactic at our own places of employment. At least it’s very common in the corporate world. This causes me absolutely no concern when it comes to Moos now being in charge of our athletic department. Even if there was some funny accounting going on in the athletic department at Wazzou I’m guessing NU doesn’t have the same challenges and doesn’t need to skew the numbers like might be required for any AD at WSU.

They are blaming the guy that did it.  Whether he is still there or not is irrelevant.  And whether he could do the same at Nebraska or not is irrelevant as well.

• Plus1 3
15 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

9 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

They are blaming the guy that did it.  Whether he is still there or not is irrelevant.  And whether he could do the same at Nebraska or not is irrelevant as well.

Yeah........That was kind of my point, it’s pretty much irrelevant for us here at Nebraska.

Landlord and his click bait topic titles...:facepalm:

• Plus1 2

Sounds like he did some dam good 'management' to find ways to generate fan interest and donor and other public support for the athletics there.   That IS his job!   

Enticing donors to give by showing them what they get for the big money he is asking for is quite logical, reasonable and good management.

Attendance figures are not important to budget concerns UNLESS one is trying to project into the future one's ability to sell tickets in the future based on recent history of fan attendance.  Weather, team success, scheduling, etc all way into actual attendance levels on a game by game basis.  Long term, you have to have a product that will sell.  That means winning and offering something fans want to spend hard earned money to see.   NU has been fortunate to be able to keep selling as many tickets as they have.  Attendance is difficult to measure at any stadium reliably as entrants come in late, leave early, exit and return, etc.   Media, guests, family, etc.   They KNOW how many tickets they collected money for but can't be as accurate on the numbers at games for a variety of logistical reasons.  For example, one can get great attendance by making admission free for everybody.   But if you're trying to sell premium seats or membership in donor clubs, etc., when there is little or no interest as your program is small, with an outdated and non-competitive stadium etc., you better do some 'fishing' for big fish with some attractive bait.  

If attendance is regularly well below tickets sold, then you already have some basic 'donation' built in to the regular / cheap seat prices.   Sounds like some sour grapes by faculty and administration who have the problem of managing the department going forward and likely don't have the Bill Moos 'salesmanship' capabilities.    

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Landlord said:

"The environment within Athletics ... did not support a culture of compliance or fiscal responsibility," according to the audit, which was completed in mid-April.

This quote, from the article not from Landlord, seems very odd to me. Fiscal responsibility in athletics? Nothing about collegiate athletics has ever been fiscally responsible. There's a reason that for decades it could be used as a tax write off.

And in terms of "supporting a culture of compliance," as long as they aren't covering up felonies, I don't really care.

• Plus1 2

Likely an audit started from a complaint filed by faculty at WSU upset about athletic spending. People with no relationship business/development knowledge. Seen it before first hand. 

However...yes, there are tax implications for accounting for the "benefits."  Minor though.  Ticky tack.  

The IMG stuff?  No clue.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Not sure I understand why this is a budget-related problem.  Your budget doesn't directly correlate to butts in seats, it correlates to cash earned from tickets sold. You get that cash whether people show up to the game or not.

If you have a budget problem, you want to focus on tickets sold, not on actual attendance.  This is kind of a curious gripe.

I was going to say the same thing.

I could understand if they were complaining because Moos was asking for addition to the stadium but plenty of schools announce tickets sold.

If it truly was making sure every seat was filled to call it a sellout , Nebraska wouldnt have as long of a streak.. unless you sell a crap ton of standing room only tickets.

Just now, RedNebraskan said:

If Moos didn't hire Frost, I wonder if we would be thinking about this differently.

Yeah, if he'd screwed the pooch on the football hire this would be another in a long list of complaints and bitching about him. Good thing he got it right.

• Plus1 1