Bryan Brokop...

2 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but there has been a lot of discussion about this. On one hand it is probably the best way to handle things to be more competitive and keep up with the other programs that do it because it's like extra scholarships. On the other hand, there are plenty of people that argue that's not the "Nebraska way" and we shouldn't force anyone out. 

In my opinion, if they aren't helping the team after 3 years I have no problem trying to help them find a better fit for them to finish school.

The "Nebraska Way" of doing things was an easy motto to talk about when NU was dominating college football in the 90s.  Even then, Osborne brought in a lot of "not so nice" players to help push NU over the top and get to those national championships.  After NU stopped being the dominating team, some fans want hang on to the "Nebraska Way" as some type of mythological/legendary way of "doing things right". 

• Plus1 4

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The "Nebraska Way" of doing things was an easy motto to talk about when NU was dominating college football in the 90s.  Even then, Osborne brought in a lot of "not so nice" players to help push NU over the top and get to those national championships.  After NU stopped being the dominating team, some fans want hang on to the "Nebraska Way" as some type of mythological/legendary way of "doing things right". 

I meant more that people argue we're supposed to be nicer at Nebraska and helping guys leave the program is not nice. "Visit Nebraska. Visit Nice." :facepalm: Stupid slogan

Just an argument from some, probably not many.  Personally I don't agree with it.  If they've had college paid for and you help them find a landing spot, I think that's plenty nice.

40 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I meant more that people argue we're supposed to be nicer at Nebraska and helping guys leave the program is not nice. "Visit Nebraska. Visit Nice." :facepalm: Stupid slogan

Just an argument from some, probably not many.  Personally I don't agree with it.  If they've had college paid for and you help them find a landing spot, I think that's plenty nice.

I am agreeing with you.  My point is that it was a lot easier for fans to act all high and might and say how "nice" we are as a school, football program, and state when NU was one of the best football programs in America.  At some point, if NU is going to want to get back to playing championship-level football, they need to run a program that isn't always "nice".  I think Frost will take the right approach to running his program to get NU back to the championship-level.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am agreeing with you.  My point is that it was a lot easier for fans to act all high and might and say how "nice" we are as a school, football program, and state when NU was one of the best football programs in America.  At some point, if NU is going to want to get back to playing championship-level football, they need to run a program that isn't always "nice".  I think Frost will take the right approach to running his program to get NU back to the championship-level.

:cheers

• 3 weeks later...

40 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Confirmed that he is leaving the football team but will remain in school.

Is he eligible, under that NCAA rule being discussed in another thread, to stay on scholarship but not be counted against the scholarship limit? I would assume so. Simple to Decker, I guess.

10 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Is he eligible, under that NCAA rule being discussed in another thread, to stay on scholarship but not be counted against the scholarship limit? I would assume so. Simple to Decker, I guess.

Yep, it sounds like the rules for medical hardships are being relaxed, and this will allow schools to keep kids on a scholarship to allow them to finish school, but not count against the 85-scholarship limit.

This is smart for kids who lose the drive/ability to play football, but want to finish their education.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yep, it sounds like the rules for medical hardships are being relaxed, and this will allow schools to keep kids on a scholarship to allow them to finish school, but not count against the 85-scholarship limit.

This is smart for kids who lose the drive/ability to play football, but want to finish their education.

This will more than likely grow the competitive divide in college athletics (football specifically). If your athletic program has the capital to put the "non-contributors" on scholarship but not count against the 85-scholarship limit, some schools will be able to pay for 100-120 (or whatever number) scholarships and some will struggle just to get to the 85 limit. Thus, you can "cut" players off your 85 roster (while not affecting their academic standing) and just keep the contributors. This will create a disparity in the quality of depth between programs.

This may be a new way for Nebraska to get an edge. I hope Frost and Moos are willing to take advantage of these new NCAA rules.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

This will more than likely grow the competitive divide in college athletics (football specifically). If your athletic program has the capital to put the "non-contributors" on scholarship but not count against the 85-scholarship limit, some schools will be able to pay for 100-120 (or whatever number) scholarships and some will struggle just to get to the 85 limit. Thus, you can "cut" players off your 85 roster (while not affecting their academic standing) and just keep the contributors. This will create a disparity in the quality of depth between programs.

This may be a new way for Nebraska to get an edge. I hope Frost and Moos are willing to take advantage of these new NCAA rules.

It will definitely favor the schools with the most amount of $.  Basically, when you have a kid who's been in the program for a few years and they don't show a sign of contributing, you can tell them "You can stay at the school, but we want to remove you from the team, or you can transfer to a different school if you want to keep playing football."  I would think the choices from the kids will be about half and half between those two options.

35 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

One caveat I wonder about to this is how many kids you could convince to take part in that, though. People who aren't on the 85-man or a walk-on can't (or, at least, shouldn't) take part in team meetings, workouts, activities, etc. I don't know if you'd be able to have an abundance of capable athletes hiding in the wings. Maybe there are some loop holes and workarounds. It also sounds like this rule mainly applies to kids who get there first and then decide to quit. You'd have to convince a lot of kids to quit I would think to really make it a valuable loophole.