OLB Kaden Johnson [Wisconsin - Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

96 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Johnson commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

Another one

Huskers trending for Top247 OLB Kaden Johnson

247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Allen Trieu compares him to New York Giants linebacker Markus Golden, projecting him as a potential early round NFL Draft selection. Here’s the full scouting report from Trieu:

“Lean body right now with above average height and good arm length. Needs to add weight when he gets to college. Very good athlete. Basketball player with natural fluidity. Gets off the ball quickly. Has the foot speed and coordination in space to make open-field tackles. Does a good job of staying disciplined and keeping contain when asked to do that. Also played offense and shows the ball skills to be an asset in coverage. Shows a solid array of pass rush techniques.

“Will need to get stronger in college and adjust to the competition level. Projects as a stand-up OLB in a 3-4, but can play SAM in a 4-3 and could potentially grow into a weakside defensive end as well. How early he plays will largely depend on how quickly he can add the necessary weight, but should be a starter in time and potentially a higher-end NFL Draft choice.”

• Plus1 1

As excited as I am, this feels like one where if* we can get him officially on board he'll get the hype to be a year one contributor. To me based on what that 247 said and what history shows is that he may need a year or two to really get into a rhythm. Caleb Tannor is one that comes to mind where he was going to be our pass rush threat right away and now 2 years in many have abandoned all hope despite his role starting to grow. 

I am pumped it sounds like he could be on board, but all the "year one starter" talk makes me nervous and sets this kid up for backlash if he isn't all over the field 8 games into his career.

• Fire 1
25 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

As excited as I am, this feels like one where if* we can get him officially on board he'll get the hype to be a year one contributor. To me based on what that 247 said and what history shows is that he may need a year or two to really get into a rhythm. Caleb Tannor is one that comes to mind where he was going to be our pass rush threat right away and now 2 years in many have abandoned all hope despite his role starting to grow. 

I am pumped it sounds like he could be on board, but all the "year one starter" talk makes me nervous and sets this kid up for backlash if he isn't all over the field 8 games into his career.

I think this every time people start proclaiming a recruit is going to be a starter their Freshman year.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think this every time people start proclaiming a recruit is going to be a starter their Freshman year.

You're right. That 247 article literally says he'll need to put on some weight and get used to the level competition. I think he'll be special one, but it's been made pretty clear he likely isn't a day one starter. With how hard they are hitting juco OLB's still I think our staff may feel that way too.

That being said, he is one big piece we absolutely need and a long term player who can help get us back on track. 

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

You're right. That 247 article literally says he'll need to put on some weight and get used to the level competition. I think he'll be special one, but it's been made pretty clear he likely isn't a day one starter. With how hard they are hitting juco OLB's still I think our staff may feel that way too.

That being said, he is one big piece we absolutely need and a long term player who can help get us back on track. 

Yep, long term, he appears to be a player that has a good chance to contribute.

2 hours ago, spurs1990 said:

Thank you for this.  I totally agree.  Bring kids in, let them develop.  If they start by their redshirt soph year then perfect.  Very very few should be wanted on the field as a true fresh 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Thank you for this.  I totally agree.  Bring kids in, let them develop.  If they start by their redshirt soph year then perfect.  Very very few should be wanted on the field as a true fresh 

I disagree with your last sentence... both Saban and Urban Meyer have said,  you recruit kids that can be day 1 starters out of HS.  

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to OLB Kaden Johnson [Wisconsin - Signed LOI]