OLB Kaden Johnson [Wisconsin - Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

96 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Johnson commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

59 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

I guess I just get tired of continually seeing people say that x player needs a couple years to develop before he gets on the field.  We need players that can come in right away and play if we want to compete IMO.  

To be clear, there's a difference between "contributing" and "starting".

A player who isn't physically ready to start, could possibly contribute to the team.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

Currently this year, there are 10 true freshman on the 2 deep for Bama with 6 starting.  OSU has 4 on the 2 deep with 0 starting but had 8 true freshman not redshirt and play last year on the 2 deep. 

So, you're saying that between Alabama and OSU, there are 6 true freshmen starting out of probably around 50 true freshmen on the two teams combined.

Yep, pretty much falls in line with the vast majority of true freshmen do NOT start their freshman year and need to sit out a year or two to be ready to start.

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, you're saying that between Alabama and OSU, there are 6 true freshmen starting out of probably around 50 true freshmen on the two teams combined.

Yep, pretty much falls in line with the vast majority of true freshmen do NOT start their freshman year and need to sit out a year or two to be ready to start.

In 2 years at Bama, they have had 15 true freshman out of 49 burn redshirts and play.  OSU has had 13 out of 43.  Nebraska has had 8 out of 52.  

I know you guys are stuck on the whole "starter" kick but if the kid can come in and be a constant contributor from day 1,  he falls in the same line as a "starter" to me.  Teams these days rotate so much that being a starter isnt that important anymore. 

2 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

I guess I just get tired of continually seeing people say that x player needs a couple years to develop before he gets on the field.  We need players that can come in right away and play if we want to compete IMO.  

When your entire linebacker corps needs an overhaul like ours does, well, there's certainly an opportunity for guys to play right away...

1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

In 2 years at Bama, they have had 15 true freshman out of 49 burn redshirts and play.  OSU has had 13 out of 43.  Nebraska has had 8 out of 52.  

I know you guys are stuck on the whole "starter" kick but if the kid can come in and be a constant contributor from day 1,  he falls in the same line as a "starter" to me.  Teams these days rotate so much that being a starter isnt that important anymore. 

How many of those were 5 star recruits?  

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

How many of those were 5 star recruits?  

Bama currently has 9 kids in the top 100. Ohio State has 8. Nebraksa has 1. We won't get another and they will get at least 1 more. Think of that same rotation year after year after year. Even more lopsided if you go top 250 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Bama currently has 9 kids in the top 100. Ohio State has 8. Nebraksa has 1. We won't get another and they will get at least 1 more. Think of that same rotation year after year after year. Even more lopsided if you go top 250 

Thank you for looking that stuff up!  I think given those stats, it’s more likely for TOSU and Bama to have freshmen on the two deep than a Nebraska.  They have more 5 star talent coming in and more junior draftees leaving early than Nebraska.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Thank you for looking that stuff up!  I think given those stats, it’s more likely for TOSU and Bama to have freshmen on the two deep than a Nebraska.  They have more 5 star talent coming in and more junior draftees leaving early than Nebraska.  

Why do they have to be 5* players in order for them to contribute early?  We get enough 4* and high 3* players a year that they should be able to contribute.  

I understand that higher rated guys will more than likely be ready to contribute earlier but there is no reason we couldnt have had a couple other freshmen, especially the higher rated kids, get some time.  We "supposedly" struggled at the WR position this year but yet we brought in 4 - 4* recruits and 1 (Wan'Dale) was used as a RB while another (Chase) got 4 games and the others were not used. 

We struggled on the OL and yet we kept Benhart back to RS when he very well could have been playing RT and allowing Farniok to move to G.  Benhart might not have the strength but he sure had the size and mobility to play. 

There are other examples that can be brought up but I have already typed enough stuff that I probably wouldnt read because its to long.

• Mavric changed the title to OLB Kaden Johnson [Wisconsin - Signed LOI]