OLB Kaden Johnson [Wisconsin - Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

96 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Johnson commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

14 hours ago, broganreynik said:

When was the last in-home with Wisconsin? If memory serves me correct, he “committed” to Wisky before coming here over the weekend. But the “insiders” said he committed to us while on his official.

The rumor is that he was stringing along WI’s coaches AND our coaches so our staff pulled his offer and he tried to get back in our class but we moved on. So this seems to support the notion that he was stringing the coaches of both programs along. 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, HuskerPwr said:

The rumor is that he was stringing along WI’s coaches AND our coaches so our staff pulled his offer and he tried to get back in our class but we moved on. So this seems to support the notion that he was stringing the coaches of both programs along. 

Hearing the same thing here.  He would not commit, so Frost & company moved on.

12 hours ago, HuskerPwr said:

HOL also speculating that we had one spot open.  We were going for Johnson but when he strung things along we thought we had a good shot at Slusher so we went that direction.

I thought we had room for both so I'm not sure I really buy that but it might have been a consideration - especially if we were set on having one open spot for a late recruit or transfer.

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

HOL also speculating that we had one spot open.  We were going for Johnson but when he strung things along we thought we had a good shot at Slusher so we went that direction.

I thought we had room for both so I'm not sure I really buy that but it might have been a consideration - especially if we were set on having one open spot for a late recruit or transfer.

Yeah, it seems like we were trying to save face a little bit by coming out in front of it before signing day and saying Kaden lost the coaches’ trust, etc. instead of being disappointed on signing day when he chose the Badgers. I guess what I’m saying is, even if our coaches hadn’t “moved on” from him and tried to stay in the mix, he would have likely chosen WI and Frost knew that. This is pure speculation on my part. 

58 minutes ago, HuskerPwr said:

Yeah, it seems like we were trying to save face a little bit by coming out in front of it before signing day and saying Kaden lost the coaches’ trust, etc. instead of being disappointed on signing day when he chose the Badgers. I guess what I’m saying is, even if our coaches hadn’t “moved on” from him and tried to stay in the mix, he would have likely chosen WI and Frost knew that. This is pure speculation on my part. 

Eh, most of the reports I've seen say he was very strongly considering Nebraska to the point of basically committing.  But he then either backed off that commitment or wasn't 100% for whatever reason and things went south.

• Fire 1

Word is something happened while the coaches were at Johnson's basketball game (Saturday I believe) that changed our minds.  No word on what that possibly could have been.

Supposedly he still hadn't made his intentions known as of the start of the dead period.  Johnson tried to check in on Monday but we had apparently changed our minds.  Also, Minnesota had apparently moved on some time ago - not sure if that was something with Johnson or they just didn't think they were in the mix.  And also a report that Wisconsin had also moved on to some extent.  So the Oregon State rumors might not have been completely fabricated.

Also another mention that we thought we were going to get Slusher might have had something to do with it.  But it wasn't as strongly-worded this time.  And I'm still not sure that really had anything to do with it as we have two spots left and those two would have fit the profile nicely.

I think it seems like the combination of Johnson slow-playing the entire situation and something that Frost saw at the basketball game that didn't sit well made us look elsewhere.

• Plus1 3