OLB Kaden Johnson [Wisconsin - Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

96 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Johnson commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

12 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Easy to say at Bama and Ohio State. We aren't going to get those type of kids here 

I disagree because it is a subjective statement. A day one starter at Nebraska might not be at Alabama. The statement is about recruiting yourself forward no matter where your team is at right now. We all want the 5 star kids but 3's and 4's can still meet the need. 

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, zeWilbur said:

I disagree because it is a subjective statement. A day one starter at Nebraska might not be at Alabama. The statement is about recruiting yourself forward no matter where your team is at right now. We all want the 5 star kids but 3's and 4's can still meet the need. 

Not if those 3s and 4s need a year or two to physically develop to the point of being able to contribute.  When Saban talks about a kid that can contribute day one, in many ways, he's talking about physically.  3s and 4s many times are less ready and need time to put weight on or get strong enough.

If a kid simply isn't physically ready, he's not ready.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
23 minutes ago, zeWilbur said:

This right here. 

32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not if those 3s and 4s need a year or two to physically develop to the point of being able to contribute.  When Saban talks about a kid that can contribute day one, in many ways, he's talking about physically.  3s and 4s many times are less ready and need time to put weight on or get strong enough.

If a kid simply isn't physically ready, he's not ready.

If a kid needs two years to develop then he isn't a day one starter. A day one starter is simply better than what you currently have, not what every school currently has. Some kid that needs two years to develop into a starter at Alabama might be physically ready to start as a freshman at Nebraska based on their current rosters.

Just now, Archy1221 said:

How many true freshman start for Ohio State or Alabama?  Not sure where to look that up.

Currently this year, there are 10 true freshman on the 2 deep for Bama with 6 starting.  OSU has 4 on the 2 deep with 0 starting but had 8 true freshman not redshirt and play last year on the 2 deep. 

1 minute ago, Stumpy1 said:

I guess I just get tired of continually seeing people say that x player needs a couple years to develop before he gets on the field.  We need players that can come in right away and play if we want to compete IMO.  

And I think Johnson can contribute right away, he's just going to contribute better after a few years of development. But the people saying he's not a day 1 guy - did Garrett Nelson seem like he was going to be a day 1 contributor? I know he wasn't a starter, but I don't think most people are expecting Johnson to be either. But rotating him and Nelson with Domann and Tannor on the other side works for me.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to OLB Kaden Johnson [Wisconsin - Signed LOI]