OLB Kaden Johnson [Wisconsin - Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

96 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Johnson commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't understand the tactic.  

Coach:  "You have to commit now or we won't hold a spot"

Kid:  "Okay, I am in"

----------------------------

Kid still takes visits and doesn't spout off about it on twitter so coach never knows OR he takes visits and coach calls him and says "Why are you taking visits, I told you that you couldn't do that"  Kid says "I didn't take a visit" 

• Plus1 1

It would be hard to figure out how to go about it.

When players don't commit you have to tell other players, some who might definitely want to go to the school, that you're not sure if you have room. Then sometimes by the time your #1 choice says he doesn't want you, the other players have decided on a different school.

And you have to deal with egos, because all of them, including your #2, 3, 4 picks, are all dominant in high school.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

It would be hard to figure out how to go about it.

When players don't commit you have to tell other players, some who might definitely want to go to the school, that you're not sure if you have room. Then sometimes by the time your #1 choice says he doesn't want you, the other players have decided on a different school.

And you have to deal with egos, because all of them, including your #2, 3, 4 picks, are all dominant in high school.

As I discussed with swmo in the Nash thread, honesty is the only way to handle it.  If a kid gets upset by that, how will he handle being 5th string as a freshman? Life requires being able to analyze reality and respond to it. 

With waiting on kids I think some you'd wait until signing day, while others get a spot if they want to commit now.  If you fill up, thats they way the cookie crumbled.

40 minutes ago, runningblind said:

As I discussed with swmo in the Nash thread, honesty is the only way to handle it.  If a kid gets upset by that, how will he handle being 5th string as a freshman? Life requires being able to analyze reality and respond to it. 

With waiting on kids I think some you'd wait until signing day, while others get a spot if they want to commit now.  If you fill up, thats they way the cookie crumbled.

Doesn’t have much to do with that convo.  That was discussing an overall board ranking of prospects.  Telling a prospect that he was 2nd in your board after Corcoran is different.  

Every team has a positional board.  Local kid that is high in the board you might pressure him a bit to make a decision.  Especially depending on how you feel about the rest of your prospects for that position.  

11 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Doesn’t have much to do with that convo.  That was discussing an overall board ranking of prospects.  Telling a prospect that he was 2nd in your board after Corcoran is different.  

Every team has a positional board.  Local kid that is high in the board you might pressure him a bit to make a decision.  Especially depending on how you feel about the rest of your prospects for that position.  

I hear you and agree, I'm just saying to be up front with the kid no matter what you want them to do. 

8 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I hear you and agree, I'm just saying to be up front with the kid no matter what you want them to do. 

I agree.  Honesty is the best bet.  I believe our staff informs prospects where they are on the board.  You would have to with over 400 offers.  

If that fails you could just pull a PJ Fleck and lock the door and set a timer for the prospect to commit.  

• Haha 2
23 hours ago, teachercd said:

I don't understand the tactic.  

Coach:  "You have to commit now or we won't hold a spot"

Kid:  "Okay, I am in"

----------------------------

Kid still takes visits and doesn't spout off about it on twitter so coach never knows OR he takes visits and coach calls him and says "Why are you taking visits, I told you that you couldn't do that"  Kid says "I didn't take a visit" 

It's more...

Coach: We only can take 1 more LB this class and we have 3 kids we are still high on, you being the top. If one of the others commits before you we don't have any more room available

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

It's more...

Coach: We only can take 1 more LB this class and we have 3 kids we are still high on, you being the top. If one of the others commits before you we don't have any more room available

This definitely makes sense to me. However it still seems like you're pushing a kid to make a decision he isn't ready to. Seems like it sets you up for a decommitment and then maybe other targets are gone too. It makes sense to be straight forward with a kid like this but I still think you've gotta take the kid who's ready to commit vs pushing another guy for one. 

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

It's more...

Sure...so commit and still look around.  That is what I would do.

22 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

This definitely makes sense to me. However it still seems like you're pushing a kid to make a decision he isn't ready to. Seems like it sets you up for a decommitment and then maybe other targets are gone too. It makes sense to be straight forward with a kid like this but I still think you've gotta take the kid who's ready to commit vs pushing another guy for one. 

If it's the way Big Ern put it....that's life.  Decisions like this happen all the time in life.....admittedly most are not this significant and public.  But, people need to make decisions and move forward.  

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

If it's the way Big Ern put it....that's life.  Decisions like this happen all the time in life.....admittedly most are not this significant and public.  But, people need to make decisions and move forward.  

Totally agree...I would compare it to a job.  You get an offer you accept it...You are starting in 2 weeks and next thing you know a better offer comes along...more money, closer commute, whatever...what do you do?

I am under contract for my job...but there a a few places I would leave my place for...even if I am still under contract.  It makes me sick to think about possibly doing that but in the long run it would be best for me.

• Mavric changed the title to OLB Kaden Johnson [Wisconsin - Signed LOI]