Trumping up a war?

25 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

Couldn't tell you about the Iranian government, but the dozens of Iranians that I met through work who came to the US for graduate school were excellent people. 

They are. I feel like they're what we are going to be if/when the Ever Trumpers fully take over. By and large a good populace with a minority crazy-pants hardcore few making us all look bad.

Sad thing is - they'll have nukes.

North Koreans are likely good people too.

When we actually have the right to vote we have to f#&%ing fight to keep it. Not just assume everything's going to keep being fine, which is what the people who might not support Trump but don't think what he's doing is a big deal are doing. They are culpable.

9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh....really......

i am not to upset with the pentagon or trump on this 1.   they didn't purposely push a false narrative.    these injuries are the type that can take awhile to show up.   these are not people being blown up or injured by shrapnel that you can see instantly.   

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, commando said:

i am not to upset with the pentagon or trump on this 1.   they didn't purposely push a false narrative.    these injuries are the type that can take awhile to show up.   these are not people being blown up or injured by shrapnel that you can see instantly.   

Correct, the stuff I’ve read says they are being treated for concussion symptoms.  I get head injuries are serious, but I also get a little nervous about CNN driving a potential frenzy going that could get our POTUS to feel like he needs to save face.

To me CNNs headline makes it seem worse than it is and almost seems to be provoking some people into demanding retaliation.

1 hour ago, commando said:

29 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Correct, the stuff I’ve read says they are being treated for concussion symptoms.  I get head injuries are serious, but I also get a little nervous about CNN driving a potential frenzy going that could get our POTUS to feel like he needs to save face.

To me CNNs headline makes it seem worse than it is and almost seems to be provoking some people into demanding retaliation.

When I watched the news this morning, what you said became clear.  They explained it pretty well that it was symptoms that didn't show up right away.

Now, I wasn't watching CNN.  But, I have no reason to believe they didn't do the same thing.

43 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

not sure where to put this so I'll do it here. 

I just saw this also -  I won't type what I think - it would get me banned on HB but this guy should be impeached for this alone.  Not fit to govern.   

The book states that the meeting took place six months into Trump’s presidency after his generals became concerned about “gaping holes” in Trump’s knowledge of America’s key alliances. The idea was to bring Trump to the Pentagon’s Situation Room, where military leaders, so the plan went, would give him a crash course on who America’s allies were, why they were worth keeping on side, and where on earth they were located.

However, the meeting seems to have descended into chaos almost immediately. Tillerson, then-Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis, and National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn reportedly took turns trying to explain their points to Trump. But Trump is said to have first appeared bored out of his mind before he got increasingly angry.

The account states Trump repeatedly interrupted the lesson after apparently being triggered by a word or phrase uttered by the military leaders. One example given is that he heard the word “base” during the lesson, which sparked him into launching a tirade about how “crazy” and “stupid” it was that the U.S. paid to build and maintain bases overseas.

It was reportedly during a conversation about Afghanistan that Trump blew his top.

The president reportedly called Afghanistan a “loser war,” and told his military leaders: “You’re all losers... You don’t know how to win anymore... I want to win... We don’t win any wars anymore... We spend $7 trillion, everybody else got the oil and we’re not winning anymore.” It’s reported that Trump was so angry at this point that he wasn’t breathing properly.

In his most incendiary comment, Trump—a man who, remember, managed to get out of military duty in Vietnam due to a supposed bone-spur problem—is said to have told the assembled forces: “I wouldn’t go to war with you people... You’re a bunch of dopes and babies.”

The comment reportedly left the room dumbfounded. Tillerson was “visibly seething,” and decided to speak up. The secretary of state said: “No, that’s just wrong... Mr. President, you’re totally wrong. None of that is true.” When the meeting ended soon afterward, Tillerson reportedly stood with a small group of confidants and said: “He’s a f@#king (TGs edit)moron.”

• Plus1 3
12 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I just saw this also -  I won't type what I think - it would get me banned on HB but this guy should be impeached for this alone.  Not fit to govern.

The people surrounding him failed to do their duty and get rid of him. And they aren't speaking up.

18 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The people surrounding him failed to do their duty and get rid of him. And they aren't speaking up.

i am sure any 1 of those generals could have stepped up and broke his nose.    if bones spurs could keep him out of vietnam a broken nose would have caused him to retire

On 1/14/2020 at 5:07 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Yep....for a long time I’ve read about how the younger population in Iran likes the western world and really wants to be progressive. But, the politically active people (both young and old) suck. 

And at least for awhile, Iran had the largest percentage of Under 30 population in the world. 

It's no secret that the conservative think tanks that have shaped Republican foreign policy (often tacitly supported by Dems) has had Iran in its sights for more than 30 years. "All roads lead to Tehran" as they said in one report of the Project for the New American Century.

And whether Iraq, Iran, Libya or wherever we encounter unfriendly Islamic leadership, the hope is that this silent majority will rise up and depose the theocracy. A coalition of the intelligentsia, the academics, the secular, the young, the repressed ethnic minorities. In other words, every group these same conservatives want to marginalize and suppress in their own country. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

And at least for awhile, Iran had the largest percentage of Under 30 population in the world. 

It's no secret that the conservative think tanks that have shaped Republican foreign policy (often tacitly supported by Dems) has had Iran in its sights for more than 30 years. "All roads lead to Tehran" as they said in one report of the Project for the New American Century.

And whether Iraq, Iran, Libya or wherever we encounter unfriendly Islamic leadership, the hope is that this silent majority will rise up and depose the theocracy. A coalition of the intelligentsia, the academics, the secular, the young, the repressed ethnic minorities. In other words, every group these same conservatives want to marginalize and suppress in their own country. 

Are these your words?  Very well said!