Trumping up a war?

So much respect for the military...

Good god, read the whole story. It's incredible reporting and extremely insightful into Trump's worldview.

Mattis, Tillerson, Gary Cohn, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, leaders of other military branches & others set up a tutorial for Trump to learn about our military and strategic foreign policy because he was so ignorant.

Over the course of the meeting, Trump:

• Said we should charge South Korea rent for troops or pull out
  • Said we should collect from NATO allies (who don't actually owe us) and said "You would totally go bankrupt if you had to run your own business." (irony probably lost on him)
  • Accused Iran of cheating their obligations of the Iran deal and repeatedly said he would pull out of it
  • Asked why America hadn't "won" in Afghanistan yet & threatened to remove the U.S. commander in charge there
  • "You're all losers. You don't know how to win anymore."
  • Asked why we couldn't get oil as payment for troops in the Persian Gulf
  • "I want to win. We don't win wars anymore."
  • "I wouldn't go to war with you people. You're a bunch of dopes and babies."
  • (Interesting non-Trump tidbit: Claims Tillerson thought to himself: "Gosh darn it, Jim [Mattis], say something, why aren't you saying something?" Eventually Mattis boiled over and said “No, that’s just wrong. Mr. President, you’re totally wrong. None of that is true.” and ultimately, after Trump left, "He’s a f---ing moron."

Unreal. The guy's a moron and a disgrace to the entire country. No f#cking way someone with these shortcomings can be CIC for four more years.

Edit: I see others beat me to it. I'll leave my post as a short recap of the key stuff from the story.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

Part of Trump's America First platform was to take a non-interventionist stance on most military ventures: they're expensive, they don't work, they'll hate us anyway. Trump was always clear that he opposed the Iraq Invasion. The man was sometimes right. 

Ron and Rand Paul also worked this side of the street. Conservatives might like the gun-blazing American show of force that flag-waving patriotism seems to favor, but they can also be lured over to the "f*ck em, let them fight their own stupid wars on the other side of the world" argument. It was the rationale they tried to rally around when Trump abandoned Syria just a few weeks ago, but it will get tested if Trump has further plans for Iran. I think someone in a Mattis role probably talked the f#&%ing moron down from a knee-jerk escalation. Trump has little perspective beyond how any decision or event reflects on him personally. 

I don't think the base understands or wants to accept that our own military has grave concerns about its Commander in Chief. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, commando said:

kk...doesn't really fit here...but it is part of the armed sevices so will post here.    i wonder if that camo pattern is smart for a space force .   

I read the replies, and I think my favorite was "They are eerily similar to our Earth Force uniforms."

• Haha 2
  • 5 months later...

Something is going on in Iran   :dunno

https://news.trust.org/item/20200715122556-a24j0

July 15 (Reuters) - At least seven ships have caught fire at the port of Bushehr in southern Iran, the Tasnim news agency reported on Wednesday.

No casualties have been reported so far, the agency said.

There have been several explosions and fires around Iranian military, nuclear and industrial facilities since late June. (Reporting By Babak Dehghanpisheh; editing by John Stonestreet)

• 4 months later...

If you think Trump picking a SC justice before the election, how about starting a war just before his replacement takes office.  Talk about sabotaging your replacement.  

Trumping up a war indeed

The Israel Defense Forces have in recent weeks been instructed to prepare for the possibility that the U.S. will conduct a military strike against Iran before President Trump leaves office, senior Israeli officials tell me.

Why it matters: The Israeli government instructed the IDF to undertake the preparations not because of any intelligence or assessment that Trump will order such a strike, but because senior Israeli officials anticipate “a very sensitive period” ahead of Biden's inauguration on Jan. 20.

• The IDF's preparedness measures relate to possible Iranian retaliation against Israel directly or through Iranian proxies in Syria, Gaza and Lebanon, the Israeli officials said.

Flashback: Last week, the New York Times reported that Trump raised the possibility of attacking Iran’s uranium enrichment facility in Natanz in a meeting with senior members of his national security team.

• Trump raised the idea after being briefed on an International Atomic Energy Agency report about Iran’s growing stockpiles of enriched uranium, but top officials — including Vice President Mike Pence and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo — warned about the risks of regional escalation, per the Times.
  • Trump seemed convinced that it would be too risky to strike Iran directly, but has considered other options, the Times reports.

What's happening: Israeli minister of defense Benny Gantz spoke twice in the last two weeks with Christopher Miller, Trump's acting defense secretary. They discussed Iran as well as Syria and defense cooperation.

• Last Sunday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met in Saudi Arabia with Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman. One of the main issues discussed was Iran, Israeli officials say.
  • Pompeo visited Israel and several Gulf countries last week to discuss Iran. State Department officials traveling with Pompeo told reporters “all options are on the table."
  • While Pompeo was in the Gulf, U.S. Central Command announced that B-52 strategic bombers conducted a “short-notice, long-range mission into the Middle East to deter aggression and reassure U.S. partners and allies." That was seen as another signal to Iran.
  • Hossein Dehghan, an adviser to Iran’s leader and a possible candidate in Iran's upcoming presidential elections, told AP last week that a U.S. military strike against Iran could set off a “full-fledged war” in the Middle East.

What’s next: Senior Israeli officials tell me they expect Israel will get prior notice ahead of any U.S. strike against Iran. But they're concerned that won't be sufficient to fully prepare. Thus the order to the IDF to start taking preparatory steps under the assumption that such a scenario is possible.

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Yep. A fleet of them says we're going to carpet bomb stuff.

Two says we're not going to drop many bombs, but they'll be big enough to do the job.

I was not aware, but they carry up to 20 cruise missiles these days (potentially nuclear). Also, we pulled this same stunt in November and last January.

These slow old geezers aren't getting anywhere near a conventional military with full anti-aircraft capabilities to drop bombs. They would be shot out of the sky in minutes.