OT Matthew Anderson [Nebraska- Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

26 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Anderson commit?

• Nebraska
    • Louisiana Tech
    • Western Kentucky

This poll is closed to new votes

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed ^^^ this read.  It would be a blast to see him play tennis.  I bet that is a bit weird with his size.  Anyway, being a tennis player myself it would be fun to see his footwork at that size.  Love that he attacks everything he likes to participate in.  Sounds like we found a gem who loved his Mom.  Special.

• Plus1 2
On 5/16/2018 at 7:35 AM, TonyStalloni said:

On the surface it might seem odd to offer a player who has no other offers from P5.  If I trust the coaches to see talent (I know we've said that before but what choice do we have!) then I have to think they saw something in him that would work for this offense.

Two points: 1) Under both Pelini and Riley we had several 4* OL recruits who ended up being busts, and 2) OL is the one position group where "star ranking" is not as important.  Great coaching and development can turn a bunch of walk-ons into All-Americans, because an OL can be greater than the sum of its parts.

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Two points: 1) Under both Pelini and Riley we had several 4* OL recruits who ended up being busts, and 2) OL is the one position group where "star ranking" is not as important.  Great coaching and development can turn a bunch of walk-ons into All-Americans, because an OL can be greater than the sum of its parts.

Honestly, the number of 3 star busts at OL is more concerning to me over the years than the 4 star ones.  We basically went 0-5 on OL commits in 2013.  That's difficult to build back up from that.

8 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Agree totally.  I'd rather have five 3* kids who are well coached and play as a unit than five 4 or 5* kids who are poorly coached in a weak system and who often lack motivation.

This isn't directed at anyone specifically, but there seems to be a mindset that 3* kids are more coachable than higher rated kids.  I want 4* and 5* kids who the coaches can coach and also fit in the system.  I'd also like a coaching staff who can see how they can turn a 2 or 3* kid into a 5* kid by the time he graduates.  That's where Wisconsin is kicking our butt.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, STL Husker said:

This isn't directed at anyone specifically, but there seems to be a mindset that 3* kids are more coachable than higher rated kids.  I want 4* and 5* kids who the coaches can coach and also fit in the system.  I'd also like a coaching staff who can see how they can turn a 2 or 3* kid into a 5* kid by the time he graduates.  That's where Wisconsin is kicking our butt.

I agree. I think Frost will do that- I think he sets the tone for how his program will be run and what will be expected of them. So if they commit there is a standard that must be set. I think it is good to lay the law down so the kids know coming in. No red carpet will be laid out. 

27 minutes ago, STL Husker said:

Ya, I want to be in on kids like this.

https://247sports.com/Article/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-Football-Staffs-personal-touch-won-Harry-Millers-commitment-118985604

OSU will have the best interior lineman duo in the country.  It won't matter how well you coach kids up when you are as far behind as we are.

It's all a process ... but we have many mountains to climb.  It's gonna take some recruiting cycles to get into better athletes.  For now, couldn't be happier to find Mr. Anderson.  In the future, we all know that we will need to improve.

7 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Ya, I want to be in on kids like this.

https://247sports.com/Article/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-Football-Staffs-personal-touch-won-Harry-Millers-commitment-118985604

OSU will have the best interior lineman duo in the country.  It won't matter how well you coach kids up when you are as far behind as we are.

It's all a process ... but we have many mountains to climb.  It's gonna take some recruiting cycles to get into better athletes.  For now, couldn't be happier to find Mr. Anderson.  In the future, we all know that we will need to improve.

It's a combination of finding enough 4 and 5 stars that WANT to be coached,  along with hard working lower rated kids with chips on their shoulders and coaching them all up.   That combination along with scheme/ play calling can beat Ohio state.  We will never be Ohio State having only 4 and 5 star kids and never were. 

We don't need to be to win the conference a handful of times and make a few playoff appearances in the next 15 years however. 

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

While I don't necessarily disagree, to a point. It was interesting when I looked up the last three years 1st team AA linemen which consisted of 14 players. 

9 four/five stars

5 three/lower stars

Pretty one sided when you factor in the quantity difference in four/five starts per year vs three/lower. 

• Plus1 1