OT Matthew Anderson [Nebraska- Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

26 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Anderson commit?

• Nebraska
    • Louisiana Tech
    • Western Kentucky

This poll is closed to new votes

44 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So we have all heard he is under the radar because there is a ton of talent in Louisiana this year. So if someone spent the time to evaluate the kid where would he be ranked do you suppose?

I'd say it's less a talent issue than a situation one. Kid played TE as a soph and was around 235 when he moved to OT as a junior. You're unlikely to assert yourself to a great extent playing a new position that slim. We got wind of him because somebody's buddy at Nicholls really liked him at a camp and gave us the heads-up since it was obvious they wouldn't get him anyway. Kid has plenty of potential, he's got the frame, feet, and motor. He just needs more development than those higher ranked guys that are experienced and already weigh 280-plus. 

22 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

So he might end up being really good one day for the Huskers.  I'm curious with this offer and the one to the dude from Norway.  Is there not 1 OT 2019 unrated prospect from the state of Nebraska worthy of an early offer?  Is that how far OL play in the state has fallen?

Maybe they assume they can get those kids later on or as a Walk-on.

So they attack kids that they need to get on early to build that up and then use the Nebraska kids as backup options since a lot of them want to play in Nebraska.

9 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Maybe they assume they can get those kids later on or as a Walk-on.

So they attack kids that they need to get on early to build that up and then use the Nebraska kids as backup options since a lot of them want to play in Nebraska.

Might be right.  I just find it hard to believe that a kid that is a converted TE and a kid that plays in Norway are more offerable than even one in state kid.  There HAS to be one OL from the state in 2019 worthy of an offer.

30 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

So he might end up being really good one day for the Huskers.  I'm curious with this offer and the one to the dude from Norway.  Is there not 1 OT 2019 unrated prospect from the state of Nebraska worthy of an early offer?  Is that how far OL play in the state has fallen?

Ideal OT body build is pretty rare, generally speaking. But seems especially rare historically in Nebraska.

We thought we had an in-state OT in Chris Walker, but even he wasn't able to put the ideal pounds on the ideal frame.

Just doesn't seem we see many OT frames in this state. Baker and Sterup come to mind. 

We pump out a decent amount of interior lineman though and imo, have snagged the best one in the state this year. Although he might play Dline.

8 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Ideal OT body build is pretty rare, generally speaking. But seems especially rare historically in Nebraska.

We thought we had an in-state OT in Chris Walker, but even he wasn't able to put the ideal pounds on the ideal frame.

Just doesn't seem we see many OT frames in this state. Baker and Sterup come to mind. 

We pump out a decent amount of interior lineman though and imo, have snagged the best one in the state this year. Although he might play Dline.

Walker is a redshirt freshman and is listed at 6-8 and 275 lbs.  Still a bit small for an OT but I would have to believe it's a bit early to say he couldn't do it.  Especially considering the S&C he received his 1st year there.  

But you're right.  OT from the state has been almost extinct over the last 2 decades

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Walker is a redshirt freshman and is listed at 6-8 and 275 lbs.  Still a bit small for an OT but I would have to believe it's a bit early to say he couldn't do it.  Especially considering the S&C he received his 1st year there.  

But you're right.  OT from the state has been almost extinct over the last 2 decades

Some people (part of new S&C team) a lot smarter than I studied Walker's body this spring and determined he'd likely have to add too much bad weight to get it done. 

But that really doesn't matter. I wish we were pushing out more, but it just isn't happening. 

1 hour ago, Warrior10 said:

Some people (part of new S&C team) a lot smarter than I studied Walker's body this spring and determined he'd likely have to add too much bad weight to get it done. 

But that really doesn't matter. I wish we were pushing out more, but it just isn't happening. 

This article says Walker was already 300lbs.  Then burned off 60 and then built back 35.  So it must have been some REALLY bad weight if he was at 300 already and they thought he had to add more bad weight.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/huskers-think-zach-duval-s-workouts-are-brutal-but-it/article_9dbc0492-7d27-5e27-b6c1-82ef5456bf5a.html

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

This article says Walker was already 300lbs.  Then burned off 60 and then built back 35.  So it must have been some REALLY bad weight if he was at 300 already and they thought he had to add more bad weight.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/huskers-think-zach-duval-s-workouts-are-brutal-but-it/article_9dbc0492-7d27-5e27-b6c1-82ef5456bf5a.html

As @Warrior10 intimates, Duval was quoted this spring to say that after evaluating Walker's body type with Dave Ellis, he informed Frost that Walker can never be built into an OT, which is why, as the article you cite notes, he is now on the defensive line.

Here is Duval's quote about Walker:

“He cannot hold the mass you’re talking about on the O-line unless we start giving him massive amounts of fat allowance. Fat doesn’t speed you up and it’s harder to slow down, right? It’s not an engine, it’s just adding mass to the car, which your engine has to work harder to move,” Duval said. “That’s Chris in a nutshell.”

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/husker-strength-coach-duval-talks-combining-science-and-art-of/article_86336a7b-92a5-59b3-be35-1f93c10aa711.html

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

As @Warrior10 intimates, Duval was quoted this spring to say that after evaluating Walker's body type with Dave Ellis, he informed Frost that Walker can never be built into an OT, which is why as the article you cite notes he is now on the defensive line.

Here is Duval's quote about Walker:

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/husker-strength-coach-duval-talks-combining-science-and-art-of/article_86336a7b-92a5-59b3-be35-1f93c10aa711.html

I wasn't arguing with Warrior.  I was conversing.  I was surprised to find out Walker weighed 300lbs.  And it must have been a very bad 300lbs if they said he couldn't be that and play OL.

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I wasn't arguing with Warrior.  I was conversing.  I was surprised to find out Walker weighed 300lbs.  And it must have been a very bad 300lbs if they said he couldn't be that and play OL.

No problem. I was just adding some specifics to the conversation. From Duval's perspective, you are right that it was bad weight, or in Duval's words, "just adding mass to the car, which your engine has to work harder to move". I think it would be really educational and interesting to hear Duval and Ellis have these conversations.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to OT Matthew Anderson [Nebraska Commit]
  • Mavric pinned this topic