Jump to content
Mavric

QB Logan Smothers [Nebraska Commit]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Player: Logan Smothers

Hometown: Athens, Alabama

School: Athens

Position: Quarterback

Height: 6-2

Weight: 180

40 Time

Offers: Nebraska, South Alabama, Southern Mississippi, UAB

Visits: 6/13/18; 7/27/18

 

Twitter

 

247 Composite: #417 Overall; #12 DTQB; .8639; :star:star:star 

 

Rivals: #8 DTQB; :star:star:star 
247: #15 DTQB; :star:star:star 
ESPN: 

 

Hudl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rated his visit a 10.  No word on if a brother attended as well.

 

Has visits set up to Auburn, Mississippi State and Alabama in the next week.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Supposedly almost pulled the trigger. 

Seems to be a theme lately.  Are the coaches talking the players out of doing it?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Seems to be a theme lately.  Are the coaches talking the players out of doing it?  

I'm would guess they would encourage a 2020 kid to take a breath and think it over. 

 

Not sure who else has fit that theme lately?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

I'm would guess they would encourage a 2020 kid to take a breath and think it over. 

 

Not sure who else has fit that theme lately?

Didn't the unrated OT almost do it?  And the JUCO DT?  I also thought there were a couple others

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warrior10 said:

Ran a 11.01 100 dash this year. 


Here is a video from his Freshman year where he ran 11:55 in the 100 yard dash.  

 

 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Didn't the unrated OT almost do it?  And the JUCO DT?  I also thought there were a couple others

Not everyone is going to commit instantly on their visit. I don't know that it's a bad thing either, it's easy to get caught up in a moment and then not mean it. 

 

So to answer your question, no I don't know if the staff is telling them to wait. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Seems to be a theme lately.  Are the coaches talking the players out of doing it?  

I would say "yes". I heard (I think from the 247 podcast) that the staff specifically did this with the unrated OT and JUCO DT. Frost has said that when a kid commits to the program, they commit to him. So, I think they only want guys to commit when they are completely ready to end the recruiting process.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Not everyone is going to commit instantly on their visit. I don't know that it's a bad thing either, it's easy to get caught up in a moment and then not mean it. 

 

So to answer your question, no I don't know if the staff is telling them to wait. 

I am quite aware that not everyone is going to commit on an initial visit.  It is just interesting as the post just above this one says, the coaches don't want anyone to commit unless they are all N and done.  Which got me wondering about the string of players that were reportedly ready to commit on the spot.  Meaning, you would think the player would know the position the coaches have on this so it's just something I wouldn't expect to hear very much if at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I am quite aware that not everyone is going to commit on an initial visit.  It is just interesting as the post just above this one says, the coaches don't want anyone to commit unless they are all N and done.  Which got me wondering about the string of players that were reportedly ready to commit on the spot.  Meaning, you would think the player would know the position the coaches have on this so it's just something I wouldn't expect to hear very much if at all.

Good point. If the coaching staff has the policy that recruits are only allowed to commit once they agree to shutdown their recruiting process, we should expect to see little to no decommitments and no visits to other programs. Also, if someone commits during their visit (like Jackson Hannah wanted to), then you would think those are solid commitments and they would take no visits to other programs.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shoot, if it was basketball you want the verbal because pretty much everyone backs off...in football it is so different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its neat, he is setting the precedent of the standards he expects in his program. If you say your gonna do something- then do it. Stand behind your word. I love it. At some point some kid will decommit- but I love the emphasis on dont commit unless you really mean it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kinda like it, especially for the 2020 players. And obviously Frost has mentioned several times how it made him feel when Osborne told him to stay at Stanford for the spring to make sure. It let him know he was concerned about him as a person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the smart move. We're talking about a 2020 quarterback recruit with an underwhelming offer-list. If we are only taking one qb we better be sure he's the right one. Plus if we're right about him that offer-list won't stay underwhelming. We impressed him now, does he stay impressed when the big-dogs of the SEC come calling? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Said he nearly committed to Nebraska after his visit.  

 

Was at FNL at Ohio State last week.  They didn't offer but he said Urb said they will be recruiting him hard. 

 

Nebraska still leads but he's keeping an eye on Ohio State.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Said he nearly committed to Nebraska after his visit.  

 

Was at FNL at Ohio State last week.  They didn't offer but he said Urb said they will be recruiting him hard. 

 

Nebraska still leads but he's keeping an eye on Ohio State.

How hard can you recruit someone, if you don't offer them? :dunno

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2018 at 10:31 PM, Danimal said:

It's the smart move. We're talking about a 2020 quarterback recruit with an underwhelming offer-list. If we are only taking one qb we better be sure he's the right one. Plus if we're right about him that offer-list won't stay underwhelming. We impressed him now, does he stay impressed when the big-dogs of the SEC come calling? 

The coaches think he is the right one according to the OWH.  Today they said Verduzco said all QB offers are committable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:18 PM, StPaulHusker said:

The coaches think he is the right one according to the OWH.  Today they said Verduzco said all QB offers are committable.

 

First, of course he's going to say offers are committable, saying otherwise admits that they "play the game"..  Second, Smothers is far from our only 2020 qb offer, are they all the right one?  There is certainly a pecking-order and cases where we'd go for a commit vs telling them to take some time with the decision.  They are obviously pretty interested,, but as to whether they are sold enough on his game and the security of his potential commitment to commit to him only the legit insiders know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Danimal said:

 

First, of course he's going to say offers are committable, saying otherwise admits that they "play the game"..  Second, Smothers is far from our only 2020 qb offer, are they all the right one?  There is certainly a pecking-order and cases where we'd go for a commit vs telling them to take some time with the decision.  They are obviously pretty interested,, but as to whether they are sold enough on his game and the security of his potential commitment to commit to him only the legit insiders know. 

Schaefer said this morning on Sharp & Benning that he could see Smothers being the first 2020 commit because they like him that much.  So I'll go with that

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2018 at 7:40 PM, Mavric said:

Rated his visit a 10.  No word on if a brother attended as well.

 

Has visits set up to Auburn, Mississippi State and Alabama in the next week.

 

From this post ... it's been two weeks and there is no news about how these visits went?  Some big programs ... I would think we would be reading something in the last week about at least his visit to Alabama.

 

Hmmm ... even his Twitter feed has been dead since his Husker visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

About 9.99 a month

Free to see predictions and since there is only one prediction made and only one expert it's pretty easy to figure out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ziebol said:

Free to see CB's. 

 

Yeah, there is only 1 prediction and it is for Nebraska. I wonder who it could be from lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

 

Yeah, there is only 1 prediction and it is for Nebraska. I wonder who it could be from lol.

Me

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2018 at 1:29 PM, StPaulHusker said:

Schaefer said this morning on Sharp & Benning that he could see Smothers being the first 2020 commit because they like him that much.  So I'll go with that

 

That I would agree is good stuff to be going with. That Ohio State and bama now have qb-commits helps us here, not just in terms of a commit but in terms of avoiding a decommit down road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, if the guy is the first QB to commit and Frost says we are only taking one -  how do we know if this guy is the 'right one' if we have made offers to several?? Just because he says 'yes first' that doesn't mean he is the best QB for us unless Frost believes all are equal or that if all is not equal, this is the best QB that they think will return the offer wt a commit. 

Just seems early to be tied down to the one guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

So, if the guy is the first QB to commit and Frost says we are only taking one -  how do we know if this guy is the 'right one' if we have made offers to several?? Just because he says 'yes first' that doesn't mean he is the best QB for us unless Frost believes all are equal or that if all is not equal, this is the best QB that they think will return the offer wt a commit. 

Just seems early to be tied down to the one guy. 

Sounds like someone who struggles with commitment in relationships because they might miss out on "the one"

  • Plus1 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

So, if the guy is the first QB to commit and Frost says we are only taking one -  how do we know if this guy is the 'right one' if we have made offers to several?? Just because he says 'yes first' that doesn't mean he is the best QB for us unless Frost believes all are equal or that if all is not equal, this is the best QB that they think will return the offer wt a commit. 

Just seems early to be tied down to the one guy. 

If you put out an offer you stand behind, be prepared for a commitment. If you only want one guy, better only give a commitable offer to one guy.

 

Just like my dad always said, if you are going to have relations, be prepared for a child to arrive. It may not happen....but it also might.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TGHusker said:

So, if the guy is the first QB to commit and Frost says we are only taking one -  how do we know if this guy is the 'right one' if we have made offers to several?? Just because he says 'yes first' that doesn't mean he is the best QB for us unless Frost believes all are equal or that if all is not equal, this is the best QB that they think will return the offer wt a commit. 

Just seems early to be tied down to the one guy. 

To be honest maybe they are looking for another developmental guy since Martinez will have job locked down for a few years. Instead of bringing in a stud who will transfer 1 year in. Idk 

 

i think qb recruiting expectations are high after a .95 Martinez in 2 months 

 

Then another 4 star in 19 class. 

 

Then smothers is barely rated? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

To be honest maybe they are looking for another developmental guy since Martinez will have job locked down for a few years. Instead of bringing in a stud who will transfer 1 year in. Idk 

 

i think qb recruiting expectations are high after a .95 Martinez in 2 months 

 

Then another 4 star in 19 class. 

 

Then smothers is barely rated? 

makes sense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watching some of his film a bit for the first time. He seems pretty good to me. Looks really fast for a QB. Arm looks pretty good- makes some nice tight throws in space. I would be happy with his commitment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is #1 on our QB board from the sounds of it. 

 

Ran an electronic 4.48 at Ohio State's FNL camp.  That is some serious wheels for a Jr. to be, especially at QB.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Smothers will do wonders under Frost. If Martinez or Gebbia is QB when he gets here, he’s athletic enough to pull a Bobby Newcombe, who played WR/WB/PR in ‘97 while backing up Frost and started QB in ‘98. I can see Smothers being an impact player and get on the field as a WR/RB also waiting to take over as QB. 

 

We we can use athletes like him in this system!!

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2018 at 9:08 PM, Huskers93-97 said:

To be honest maybe they are looking for another developmental guy since Martinez will have job locked down for a few years. Instead of bringing in a stud who will transfer 1 year in. Idk 

 

i think qb recruiting expectations are high after a .95 Martinez in 2 months 

 

Then another 4 star in 19 class. 

 

Then smothers is barely rated? 

To be fair he's young and that's bound to go up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bhunt7 said:

I think Smothers will do wonders under Frost. If Martinez or Gebbia is QB when he gets here, he’s athletic enough to pull a Bobby Newcombe, who played WR/WB/PR in ‘97 while backing up Frost and started QB in ‘98. I can see Smothers being an impact player and get on the field as a WR/RB also waiting to take over as QB. 

 

We we can use athletes like him in this system!!

I like the Newcombe idea. Genius 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2018 at 9:08 PM, Huskers93-97 said:

To be honest maybe they are looking for another developmental guy since Martinez will have job locked down for a few years. Instead of bringing in a stud who will transfer 1 year in. Idk 

 

i think qb recruiting expectations are high after a .95 Martinez in 2 months 

 

Then another 4 star in 19 class. 

 

Then smothers is barely rated? 

 

I'm liking that you are choosing to be honest.  :-)  FYI, lately you seem to say "to be honest" in your posts more then prior posts.   Ha ha.

 

Anyway, I don't think Smothers is a "developmental guy" as you mean it.  He wouldn't be #1 on Frost & Co. board if he were on that developmental board, in my opinion.  Sure, everyone needs development as a recruit.  Yet, I think the staff must project him as the leader and player that will fit and execute their scheme and plans best.  However, it is noted that he doesn't have much of a rating.  Thus, in this I give credit to Frost & Co. As to have him #1 of their board means they have done their research and believe they have their man.

 

FYI, I'm not debating you ... just expressing how I'm seeing it.  Hope it adds to the conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 11:51 AM, BigRedN said:

 

I'm liking that you are choosing to be honest.  :-)  FYI, lately you seem to say "to be honest" in your posts more then prior posts.   Ha ha.

 

Anyway, I don't think Smothers is a "developmental guy" as you mean it.  He wouldn't be #1 on Frost & Co. board if he were on that developmental board, in my opinion.  Sure, everyone needs development as a recruit.  Yet, I think the staff must project him as the leader and player that will fit and execute their scheme and plans best.  However, it is noted that he doesn't have much of a rating.  Thus, in this I give credit to Frost & Co. As to have him #1 of their board means they have done their research and believe they have their man.

 

FYI, I'm not debating you ... just expressing how I'm seeing it.  Hope it adds to the conversation.

Good points. I also don't think we would have him #1 on the board if he was going to come in a play WR the first few years. If he is our #1 in 2020 then I see him RS and taking some time to develop at the QB position (as Gebbia and Martinez are older and above him on the depth chart). If down the road (ie his Junior year) we bring in someone younger that will play over him is when he would switch to WR... at least in my opinion. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×