QB Logan Smothers

HuskerBoard Predictor  

34 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Smothers commit?

• Nebraska
    • Southern Mississippi
    • UAB

This poll is closed to new votes

I think Smothers will do wonders under Frost. If Martinez or Gebbia is QB when he gets here, he’s athletic enough to pull a Bobby Newcombe, who played WR/WB/PR in ‘97 while backing up Frost and started QB in ‘98. I can see Smothers being an impact player and get on the field as a WR/RB also waiting to take over as QB. 

We we can use athletes like him in this system!!

• Plus1 2

On 7/5/2018 at 9:08 PM, Huskers93-97 said:

To be honest maybe they are looking for another developmental guy since Martinez will have job locked down for a few years. Instead of bringing in a stud who will transfer 1 year in. Idk 

i think qb recruiting expectations are high after a .95 Martinez in 2 months 

Then another 4 star in 19 class. 

Then smothers is barely rated? 

To be fair he's young and that's bound to go up.

2 hours ago, bhunt7 said:

I think Smothers will do wonders under Frost. If Martinez or Gebbia is QB when he gets here, he’s athletic enough to pull a Bobby Newcombe, who played WR/WB/PR in ‘97 while backing up Frost and started QB in ‘98. I can see Smothers being an impact player and get on the field as a WR/RB also waiting to take over as QB. 

We we can use athletes like him in this system!!

I like the Newcombe idea. Genius 

On 7/5/2018 at 9:08 PM, Huskers93-97 said:

To be honest maybe they are looking for another developmental guy since Martinez will have job locked down for a few years. Instead of bringing in a stud who will transfer 1 year in. Idk 

i think qb recruiting expectations are high after a .95 Martinez in 2 months 

Then another 4 star in 19 class. 

Then smothers is barely rated? 

I'm liking that you are choosing to be honest.  :-)  FYI, lately you seem to say "to be honest" in your posts more then prior posts.   Ha ha.

Anyway, I don't think Smothers is a "developmental guy" as you mean it.  He wouldn't be #1 on Frost & Co. board if he were on that developmental board, in my opinion.  Sure, everyone needs development as a recruit.  Yet, I think the staff must project him as the leader and player that will fit and execute their scheme and plans best.  However, it is noted that he doesn't have much of a rating.  Thus, in this I give credit to Frost & Co. As to have him #1 of their board means they have done their research and believe they have their man.

FYI, I'm not debating you ... just expressing how I'm seeing it.  Hope it adds to the conversation.

On 7/7/2018 at 11:51 AM, BigRedN said:

I'm liking that you are choosing to be honest.  :-)  FYI, lately you seem to say "to be honest" in your posts more then prior posts.   Ha ha.

Anyway, I don't think Smothers is a "developmental guy" as you mean it.  He wouldn't be #1 on Frost & Co. board if he were on that developmental board, in my opinion.  Sure, everyone needs development as a recruit.  Yet, I think the staff must project him as the leader and player that will fit and execute their scheme and plans best.  However, it is noted that he doesn't have much of a rating.  Thus, in this I give credit to Frost & Co. As to have him #1 of their board means they have done their research and believe they have their man.

FYI, I'm not debating you ... just expressing how I'm seeing it.  Hope it adds to the conversation.

Good points. I also don't think we would have him #1 on the board if he was going to come in a play WR the first few years. If he is our #1 in 2020 then I see him RS and taking some time to develop at the QB position (as Gebbia and Martinez are older and above him on the depth chart). If down the road (ie his Junior year) we bring in someone younger that will play over him is when he would switch to WR... at least in my opinion. 

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...

40 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Can he play corner?

I can. While I don’t have the speed, agility, range, hands, general football IQ, being able to back pedal, and the fact I’m 28 , I feel I could compete with how our corners played last year.

• Plus1 4
  • Mavric changed the title to QB Logan Smothers
  • Mavric pinned this topic