2018 World Cup

Now we are to the point that I reach every few years where we are down to 4 teams and I wish I knew enough about each one to care and actually get into the sport.  But, oh well....I don't.....so......

Soccer to me is a strange sport in that, just because of my total lack of knowledge of the sport, I can't get interested in a game.  BUT....I always sit and watch the highlights when they are on because the highlights are usually pretty cool.

Also...from what I can tell....Soccer is possibly the only sport where the casual observer like me never knows exactly when the game is going to end.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Now we are to the point that I reach every few years where we are down to 4 teams and I wish I knew enough about each one to care and actually get into the sport.  But, oh well....I don't.....so......

Soccer to me is a strange sport in that, just because of my total lack of knowledge of the sport, I can't get interested in a game.  BUT....I always sit and watch the highlights when they are on because the highlights are usually pretty cool.

Also...from what I can tell....Soccer is possibly the only sport where the casual observer like me never knows exactly when the game is going to end.

I don't get the comments of not knowing when the game is going to end.  I like soccer's running clock, with adding stoppage time when necessary.  Full time is 90 minutes long, and there can be injury/stoppage time added on after full-time.  Generally, if a team has control of the ball and is within scoring range, the referee won't blow the whistle ending the match.  In the World Cup, the knockout rounds will add on 30 minutes of extra time (two 15 minute halves) if the match is tied after full time.  If the match is still tied after extra time, it goes to penalty kicks.

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't get the comments of not knowing when the game is going to end.  I like soccer's running clock, with adding stoppage time when necessary.  Full time is 90 minutes long, and there can be injury/stoppage time added on after full-time.  Generally, if a team has control of the ball and is within scoring range, the referee won't blow the whistle ending the match.  In the World Cup, the knockout rounds will add on 30 minutes of extra time (two 15 minute halves) if the match is tied after full time.  If the match is still tied after extra time, it goes to penalty kicks.

You basically answered the question. 

The added time at the end doesn’t make sense. 

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

DVRed World Cup matches watched at 2x speed.  Watch in real time when something interesting happens.

Game Changer

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

You basically answered the question. 

The added time at the end doesn’t make sense. 

Instead of stopping the clock for injuries in soccer (along with no timeouts), the 4th referee keeps a tally of how much time to add in each half due to the game not being played when players get injured and there is a stoppage in play. They clearly show how much time is added at the end of each half, so I don’t get it when people say “how much time is left in the match?”  A match is basically 90 minutes plus injury/stoppage time, which is identified at the end of each half. Big tournaments like the World Cup and Euro Cup add in extra time after the 90 minutes in case of a tie match during the knockout round. 

8 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Instead of stopping the clock for injuries in soccer (along with no timeouts), the 4th referee keeps a tally of how much time to add in each half due to the game not being played when players get injured and there is a stoppage in play. They clearly show how much time is added at the end of each half, so I don’t get it when people say “how much time is left in the match?”  A match is basically 90 minutes plus injury/stoppage time, which is identified at the end of each half. Big tournaments like the World Cup and Euro Cup add in extra time after the 90 minutes in case of a tie match during the knockout round. 

I noticed the (+5) beside the clock at the end of the game last night which indicated 5 more minutes.  I know for a fact that previously watching a soccer match, it wasn't posted like that and I was watching with a soccer fan and he was even having a hard time telling me how much time was added to the game.

46 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I noticed the (+5) beside the clock at the end of the game last night which indicated 5 more minutes.  I know for a fact that previously watching a soccer match, it wasn't posted like that and I was watching with a soccer fan and he was even having a hard time telling me how much time was added to the game.

I have never watched a match and not seen the +5 (or whatever) shown beside the clock when it has gone to extra time.  I am not doubting that you have encountered that, so that explains your confusion.

57 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I have never watched a match and not seen the +5 (or whatever) shown beside the clock when it has gone to extra time.  I am not doubting that you have encountered that, so that explains your confusion.

I watch a pretty significant amount of soccer and the +5 (or whatever) has always been there. Could see how it would be confusing if you were watching a match where this was not there though.

The Belgians' luck ran out.  Anyone who saw that headed cross that went in for their first goal against Japan knows what I'm talking about.  ;)

I think Croatia has the goods to beat England but I always wonder how healthy teams are.  It's not like this is the Stanley Cup finals but it matters.  I think Uruguay could've taken France down with Cavani, for example.  If England win today, I guess I have to root for the French (though I'm always going to be a fan of Pickford's regardless - I want him to do well and just have his team lose so I guess I'd hope for an own goal or something).

Think of stoppage time as the portion of the 90 minutes we all spent watching people roll around.  I love that we don't have to worry about commercials breaking up play in soccer.

p.s. - I find it incongruous that the author of this cartoon is a fan of Le Coq:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1999235813723139&set=a.1386099735036753.1073741827.100009102194551&type=3&theater

• Plus1 1

I watched about the last 20 minutes of Belgium-France yesterday. Usually those last few minutes are pretty exciting, but that was just... awful to watch (at least for casual viewers). At one point, I thought there may be a sniper in the stadium with all the guys flopping to the ground.

Hopefully today's game match will be better to watch

52 minutes ago, GSG said:

I watched about the last 20 minutes of Belgium-France yesterday. Usually those last few minutes are pretty exciting, but that was just... awful to watch (at least for casual viewers). At one point, I thought there may be a sniper in the stadium with all the guys flopping to the ground.

Hopefully today's game match will be better to watch

It's super frustrating for casuals and other folks.  France was doing some flopping and getting the calls pretty consistently.  I thought Eden Hazard was fouled late in that game but no kick was given.  It's like Nebraska playing basketball against Duke or something.  You have to be one of the blue bloods to get the calls.  I've shared above, I think, that the Danes played good soccer this World Cup but weren't getting any calls despite not flopping.  I wish they'd have used the VAR to punish the divers instead of just checking on whether penalty kicks should be given or whatever...