Solich Invited Back to Receive Tom Osborne Award

25 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

I think part of that is probably cause we watched more of Bo. Saban might not be as bad, but he is still a loose cannon from time to time.

Yep. People often think Pelini was clear out on the edge because we - as Husker fans - are much more familiar with him.  Those kind of antics are not all that uncommon.  That doesn't make them right but to try to act like Pelini was the outlier isn't accurate.

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yep. People often think Pelini was clear out on the edge because we - as Husker fans - are much more familiar with him.  Those kind of antics are not all that uncommon.  That doesn't make them right but to try to act like Pelini was the outlier isn't accurate.

Lol this one still cracks me up. Muschamp is up there with Bo too.

Image result for will muschamp gif

• Plus1 1

A coach can and perhaps should get outraged when bad things like horrible officiating calls, horrendous player mistakes (malicious intent, etc) occur.   The difference with Bo was he often just 'lost it' and was irrational.   It is not unreasonable to get angry in situations where people do stupid or irresponsible things.   Fans can take the 'normal' sorts of things.  Bo Pelini played under Woody Hayes (I think) and he acted just like him.   He was a ticking time bomb and when he threatened Grampa Bill Snyder with a physical attack, that was the first sign.  This was troubling to me before he was even hired by TO.   He took some of those anger managment things but I have rarely seen such measures actually work.  Most individuals with temper control issues never really get past them.   If they're an explosive type, it is simply the way they are and you never know when or if another episode will occur.  

Fiery, tough minded coaches often can inspire the players on their team to fire up and play harder.  Football at its best is played by players who are playing with controlled rage.   Hopefully Frost is this kind of coach.  We don't need 'Mr Rogers" (Mike Riley was maybe a little too nice if that's possible) but we don't need Woody Hayes either.

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Bo Pelini played under Woody Hayes (I think) and he acted just like him. 

Woody Hayes was gone a decade before Bo's playing days.

9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

That narrative doesn't exist. 

You're kidding, right?  You seriously don't remember reactions from some in our fan base, that worm Harvey Perlman and his toadie AD, and the national media when Bo got in Taylor Martinez's face?  Or about how he acted on the sidelines in that travesty @ Texas A+M?  Or how during our games ABC, ESPN, or any other network carrying our games would focus a camera on Bo at all times just waiting for that meltdown?  And, you don't remember that one of the reasons Bo was fired was because he was such a meanie?

Bo was constantly singled out for getting angry.  You may not agree, but there definitely was that narrative being pushed.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

A coach can and perhaps should get outraged when bad things like horrible officiating calls, horrendous player mistakes (malicious intent, etc) occur.   The difference with Bo was he often just 'lost it' and was irrational.   It is not unreasonable to get angry in situations where people do stupid or irresponsible things.   Fans can take the 'normal' sorts of things.  Bo Pelini played under Woody Hayes (I think) and he acted just like him.   He was a ticking time bomb and when he threatened Grampa Bill Snyder with a physical attack, that was the first sign.  This was troubling to me before he was even hired by TO.   He took some of those anger managment things but I have rarely seen such measures actually work.  Most individuals with temper control issues never really get past them.   If they're an explosive type, it is simply the way they are and you never know when or if another episode will occur.  

Fiery, tough minded coaches often can inspire the players on their team to fire up and play harder.  Football at its best is played by players who are playing with controlled rage.   Hopefully Frost is this kind of coach.  We don't need 'Mr Rogers" (Mike Riley was maybe a little too nice if that's possible) but we don't need Woody Hayes either.

Jesus man, I never remember Bo punching a player.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

You're kidding, right?  You seriously don't remember reactions from some in our fan base, that worm Harvey Perlman and his toadie AD, and the national media when Bo got in Taylor Martinez's face?  Or about how he acted on the sidelines in that travesty @ Texas A+M?  Or how during our games ABC, ESPN, or any other network carrying our games would focus a camera on Bo at all times just waiting for that meltdown?  And, you don't remember that one of the reasons Bo was fired was because he was such a meanie?

Bo was constantly singled out for getting angry.  You may not agree, but there definitely was that narrative being pushed.

Not kidding. There was never a narrative that "Bo was the only coach who got mad at the refs or his players." That's a huge exaggeration. Pretty much no one said or thought that.

One of the reasons he was fired is because he was an asshole, although more of it was the plateauing and blowouts, but that doesn't in any way make your claim true.

Also, he deserved all the attention he got for the Martinez episode, and brought the hyper focus from the camera on himself. It definitely got old at times but there was a reason it happened.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Not kidding. There was never a narrative that "Bo was the only coach who got mad at the refs or his players." That's a huge exaggeration.

One of the reasons he was fired is because he was an asshole, although more of it was the plateauing and blowouts, but that doesn't in any way make your claim true.

We agree on most of the reasons why he was fired.  Yes he was (and probably still is) an a-hole and the increasingly common blow-out losses under his watch were unacceptable.  However, I'll just say we agree to disagree on the narrative issue because at this point there is nothing to be gained by exhuming, beating even more, that dead horse.