JUCO DT Tony Fair [UAB Commit]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

No projects. Leave that in Bo's era. 

Well if we do land Tony Stark Fair he is most likely ahead of the HS guy that comes in.

Yes, project was probably not the right word but I couldn't think of another word to use. I don't know who we will get but most likely, the hs guy won't be a day 1 starter but could still contribute in his first season. We also have a couple players that are multiple and could slide to the Nose position.

1 minute ago, HuskermanMike said:

Well if we do land Tony Stark Fair he is most likely ahead of the HS guy that comes in.

Yes, project was probably not the right word but I couldn't think of another word to use. I don't know who we will get but most likely, the hs guy won't be a day 1 starter but could still contribute in his first season. We also have a couple players that are multiple and could slide to the Nose position.

I was being snarky because I feel that as fans we can expect more than projects. I know what you meant though and was just pulling your leg. Nebraska should always be looking to bring in day 1 starters or getting as close to it. At the very least, guys who just need one year of development to make an impact. 

• Plus1 1
22 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Nebraska should always be looking to bring in day 1 starters or getting as close to it. At the very least, guys who just need one year of development to make an impact. 

I agree with the sentiment, don't agree with it in practice. Guys that are seen as potential day 1 starters are also guys that tend to transfer when they aren't day 1 starters. Project players aren't a bad thing, provided they aren't risks for that reason. A well oiled program, especially at a school that isn't likely to load up on 5 stars every year, is one that can get in a constant replacement cycle. That means you want some players that may not be ready for a few years to act as experienced replacements.

22 hours ago, Vince R. said:

I was being snarky because I feel that as fans we can expect more than projects. I know what you meant though and was just pulling your leg. Nebraska should always be looking to bring in day 1 starters or getting as close to it. At the very least, guys who just need one year of development to make an impact. 

Well, that is so not Fair.

:)

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, brophog said:

I agree with the sentiment, don't agree with it in practice. Guys that are seen as potential day 1 starters are also guys that tend to transfer when they aren't day 1 starters. Project players aren't a bad thing, provided they aren't risks for that reason. A well oiled program, especially at a school that isn't likely to load up on 5 stars every year, is one that can get in a constant replacement cycle. That means you want some players that may not be ready for a few years to act as experienced replacements.

I get you. I just think project is a type of player that Nebraska doesn't have to reach for. Nebraska can get a 4 star average on both lines if they recruit to the best of their abilities. Now, not every 3 star is a project either. Some guys are just terribly evaluated. When I see project, I think year 3 or 4 they will finally come around, and I think these days, thats a death wish. Guy's like Okuyemi, Guy, Vestal, Washburn (?) are projects.

10 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

As far as Tony Fair, the only project for him is to lose 20 lbs and convert some of that weight into muscle. Which I think he could do quickly. 

Yea I agree, I believe his playing weight should be around 315 ish with those gains being muscle and the fat gone. Watching his highlight video I see why coach Dawson likes this guy. He understands that block shedding technique he teaches where the player gets off the block and holds contain. Now, he might just need to work on handling double teams better but he has plenty of time to do that and don't forget he will enroll early so he will have a full winter and summer of Duval to get him ready. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Yea I agree, I believe his playing weight should be around 315 ish with those gains being muscle and the fat gone. Watching his highlight video I see why coach Dawson likes this guy. He understands that block shedding technique he teaches where the player gets off the block and holds contain. Now, he might just need to work on handling double teams better but he has plenty of time to do that and don't forget he will enroll early so he will have a full winter and summer of Duval to get him ready. 

Spot on. A lot of times technique is dependent on conditioning. Once guys feel like they can play all day, consistency becomes a lot easier. 

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to JUCO DT Tony Fair [UAB Commit]
  • Huskerzoo pinned this topic
  • seaofred92 unpinned this topic