JUCO DT Tony Fair [UAB Commit]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

"When you commit to us, we commit to you."--Scott Frost

42 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

From what I gather, Nebraska recruited over Tony. Something like their plan B option (in this case, elder Daniels) was more appealing as a proven talent at the D-1 level or assurance of transfer eligibility, or both. Definitely can't blame the staff for getting a plan B ready, as Fair had 23 credits to make up.

Still, it does fly in opposition to their typical steadfastness with a recruit. Schaefer's quote "He's going to graduate" does leave open the possible that he might not be a December grad, which seems to be a deal breaker for the staff with JUCO.

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

Where did you see/hear this?  That's not how he worded it in what I saw.

He said this on his daily call in to the radio this morning.  

I think it's obvious there's way more to this story than we know here.  It's possible the academics were taking some time to get worked out and the staff told him that they need to look elsewhere as a backup plan.  When that backup plan happened, Fair's academics were still in question, and they parted ways.  I hope it was more mutual than it sounds.  Certainly looks like the kid wanted, still would want, to be a Husker.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Judging by the Tweet from Tony, either Tony is a smart kid and took the high road or he is ok with how Frost and Co. handled this whole thing. 

Yeah but it’s StPaul and he likes to throw shade when he can. 

• Plus1 1

54 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

"When you commit to us, we commit to you."--Scott Frost

I suspect we don't have the entire story, but this is big time college football. You want top 15 classes, conference championships and playoff berths?  Sometimes hard decisions have to be made if circumstances change to make the team better. A D1 starter grad transfer at DT wants in, and other options have emerged. It is what it is, but it looks like the staff was up front with Tony.  

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I suspect we don't have the entire story, but this is big time college football. You want top 15 classes, conference championships and playoff berths?  Sometimes hard decisions have to be made if circumstances change to make the team better. A D1 starter grad transfer at DT wants in, and other options have emerged. It is what it is, but it looks like the staff was up front with Tony.  

Honestly, I don't care that this player isn't committed any longer.  I'm well aware of what it takes to play big boy football these days.  If I were coach, I'd run the program like Nick Saban and not give a good gotdamn what anyone said.

• Plus1 2

Yeah, I'm far from an expert, but I was under the impression that we were taking up to 30 recruits. I'm inclined to believe that Tony Fair has a very good work ethic(23 hours in one semester), did what was asked of him and Nebraska bailed on him. If you want to run the program like Nick Saban, all the "if you are committed to us, we are committed to you" statements need to stop. The defensive line I watched this year needs all the help it can get. If his play suffered a little this year, the academic workload had a lot to do with that, I would guess. 

I don't know. I don't want to be compared to Alabama off the field, just on it. You don't have to be a cut throat douche to succeed. It might make it easier, but at what cost? I trust the coaches over all, but a situation like this shows that they are not perfect. s#!t happens. Acknowledge it's kind of a s#!tty situation, and move on. I hope Tony Fair accomplishes his goals and doesn't blow up on a future opponent's team. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, Lonestar_Husker said:

Yeah, I'm far from an expert, but I was under the impression that we were taking up to 30 recruits. I'm inclined to believe that Tony Fair has a very good work ethic(23 hours in one semester), did what was asked of him and Nebraska bailed on him. If you want to run the program like Nick Saban, all the "if you are committed to us, we are committed to you" statements need to stop. The defensive line I watched this year needs all the help it can get. If his play suffered a little this year, the academic workload had a lot to do with that, I would guess. 

I don't know. I don't want to be compared to Alabama off the field, just on it. You don't have to be a cut throat douche to succeed. It might make it easier, but at what cost? I trust the coaches over all, but a situation like this shows that they are not perfect. s#!t happens. Acknowledge it's kind of a s#!tty situation, and move on. I hope Tony Fair accomplishes his goals and doesn't blow up on a future opponent's team. 

Too many unknowns to really judge the character of anyone involved in this.  Like assuming he has good work ethic bc he took 23 hours.  Maybe he took 23 hours bc he wasn't getting it done early in the process.  Frost being a cutthroat doesn't fit with him honoring a RB who has torn his 2nd acl in as many seasons (both knees).  Supporting Washington, watts, and canty until the last minute last year before camp.  

I will need more info to make a call on how the coaches handled it, but Tony seems to have handled it with class and best of luck to the young man.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

Welcome to the board,  your opinion isnt worth crap till you have reached 1000 posts with 500 like votes. 

Dang. Still have some work to do. :)

Chinander’s tweet that “the middle is CLOSED” with his commitment (in July) makes me wonder what is really going on with Fair. Guessing they know more than what they are letting on and “grades” is the best cover story. We may never know, unless he ends up committing to a school in Colorado or Washington. ;)

• Fire 1
  • Mavric changed the title to JUCO DT Tony Fair [UAB Commit]