Spatchc$%k Chicken (on the grill)

This is my first spatchc$%ked chicken.  I've heard of this for years but never done one. 

To "spatchc$%k" a chicken, or any poultry/fowl, is to turn a raw bird onto its breast, cut out the backbone, and cook it "butterflied."  The theory is that it makes the meat more even so the cooking is more even, and you don't have parts that are overdone while you're waiting for the thicker parts to cook. 

There are tons of recipes for spatchoc$%ked chicken.  I tend to rely on my two food gurus - Kenji Lopez-Alt and Meathead Goldwyn, the geniuses behind (respectively) The Food Lab & AmazingRibs.

Kenji gave me the basic recipe for spatchc$%ked chicken:

1 whole chicken, 3 1/2 to 4 pounds (1.6 to 1.8kg)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Pat chicken dry with paper towels and place on a large cutting board, breast side down. Using sharp kitchen shears, remove backbone by cutting along either side of it. Turn chicken over and lay out flat. Press firmly on breast to flatten chicken. For added stability, run a metal or wooden skewer through chicken horizontally, entering through one thigh, going through both breast halves, and exiting through other thigh. Tuck wing tips behind back. Season generously with salt and pepper.

Light 1 chimney full of charcoal. When all charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread coals evenly over half of coal grate. Alternatively, set half the burners of a gas grill to high heat. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill, and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil grilling grate.

Place chicken, skin side up, on cooler side of grill, with legs facing toward hotter side. Cover grill with vents on lid open and aligned over chicken. Open bottom vents of grill if using a charcoal grill. Cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of breast registers 110°F (43°C). Carefully flip chicken and place on hotter side of grill, skin side down, with breasts pointed toward cooler side. If using a gas grill, reduce heat to medium-low. Press down firmly with a wide, stiff spatula to ensure good contact between bird and grill grates. Cover and cook until skin is crisp and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of breast registers 145 to 150°F (63 to 66°C), about 10 minutes longer. If chicken threatens to burn before temperature is achieved, carefully slide to cooler side of grill, cover, and continue to cook until done. Do not leave the lid off for longer than it takes to check temperature.

Transfer chicken to a cutting board and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Carve and serve.

Meathead gave me the flavoring, a basic set of herbs that goes really well with the spatchc$%ked grilled chicken method.

Simon and Garfunkel Spice Rub Recipe

1 tablespoon dried crushed parsley
2 tablespoons dried crushed sage
1 tablespoon dried crushed rosemary
1 tablespoon dried crushed thyme
1 tablespoon dried crushed oregano
1 tablespoon dried crushed basil
1 tablespoon dried crushed bay leaf
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar

And this is how it turned out.  No pictures of the carved result - we ate it too fast.  There's some left over to chop up for Big Salad tomorrow night.  Yum!

AMxN3NX.jpg

A couple nights ago I made Hawaiian Huli Hulu chicken using this method. It was amazing. I used a little larger 5 Lb. bird. Also the directions/video I saw for spatchc$%king listed one more step. After removing the backbone I snipped the small piece of cartilage that attaches the breastbone on the inside of the carcass at the head end. Just look for the small white Dot and cut it, the end of the breast bone will immediately pop out. This makes it lay much flatter. I did not skewer the legs, it didn't seem necessary although it was extremely floppy and a leg quarter did fall off by the time I was done with the multiple turns required for Huli Huli. The recipe video I found used a dry rub rather than marinade) and the Amazing Ribs version of Huli Huli sauce. My son and I ate the whole 5 Lb. chicken in one sitting. Normally we're both done with about 2 pieces of chicken but it was so good we each devoured a half.

• 1 year later...

• 1 year later...