2021 PG Chucky Hepburn [Wisconsin Commit]

11 hours ago, teachercd said:

This year will be interesting for Wisconsin.  I think they are on a downward trend but we will see.

What makes you say Wisconsin is on the downward trend?  Greg Gard has just put together two of the best classes in program history between 2020 and 2021, including a month of September that landed Wisconsin four four-star players per 247.  To go further, seven of those commits are among the top-25 players Wisconsin has ever landed.

After a good 2017 class, Gard had a disastrous 2018 (sort of hard to place blame on Tyler Herro de-committing for Kentucky) and needed to push a scholarship ahead in 2019 after landing Tyler Wahl (four-star out of the Minneapolis suburbs).  Worked out to many's surprise, especially since Jalen Johnson was always going elsewhere and it was believed the Badgers were playing catch-up in Ben Carlson's recruitment.

On-court coaching is something no one has ever questioned Gard.  He's very good, and the recruiting is quickly catching-up.

3 minutes ago, badgers007 said:

What makes you say Wisconsin is on the downward trend?  Greg Gard has just put together two of the best classes in program history between 2020 and 2021, including a month of September that landed Wisconsin four four-star players per 247.  To go further, seven of those commits are among the top-25 players Wisconsin has ever landed.

After a good 2017 class, Gard had a disastrous 2018 (sort of hard to place blame on Tyler Herro de-committing for Kentucky) and needed to push a scholarship ahead in 2019 after landing Tyler Wahl (four-star out of the Minneapolis suburbs).  Worked out to many's surprise, especially since Jalen Johnson was always going elsewhere and it was believed the Badgers were playing catch-up in Ben Carlson's recruitment.

On-court coaching is something no one has ever questioned Gard.  He's very good, and the recruiting is quickly catching-up.

This makes me think it...Gard is not Ryan, not even close.  When I say downward trend I mean that Gard will not keep up (he has already not kept up) what Ryan was able to do, which was simply amazing.

If you think that Gard will accomplish the same that Ryan did, well, good luck on that.  

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

This makes me think it...Gard is not Ryan, not even close.  When I say downward trend I mean that Gard will not keep up (he has already not kept up) what Ryan was able to do, which was simply amazing.

If you think that Gard will accomplish the same that Ryan did, well, good luck on that.  

No one will mistake Greg Gard for Bo Ryan when you're looking at Ryan's entire 15-year tenure (took him 12 to reach his first Final Four), especially when Gard has coached... 3.5 seasons?  To start their careers, Greg Gard is 80-47 with three NCAATs and two Sweet 16 appearances and Ryan was 87-49 with four NCAATs, one Sweet 16 and one Elite 8.  The results are, relatively, comparable and, looking ahead, Gard has put together the three best recruiting classes (2017, 2020, 2021) in program history.  Such was life under Ryan, Wisconsin will still be a consistent NCAAT team.

ETA: Whatever your thoughts may be, as an outsider, it's an exciting time for Wisconsin's basketball program.  Between 2020 and 2021, Wisconsin has seven of its 25 best commits in the rankings era.

23 minutes ago, badgers007 said:

No one will mistake Greg Gard for Bo Ryan when you're looking at Ryan's entire 15-year tenure (took him 12 to reach his first Final Four), especially when Gard has coached... 3.5 seasons?  To start their careers, Greg Gard is 80-47 with three NCAATs and two Sweet 16 appearances and Ryan was 87-49 with four NCAATs, one Sweet 16 and one Elite 8.  The results are, relatively, comparable and, looking ahead, Gard has put together the three best recruiting classes (2017, 2020, 2021) in program history.  Such was life under Ryan, Wisconsin will still be a consistent NCAAT team.

ETA: Whatever your thoughts may be, as an outsider, it's an exciting time for Wisconsin's basketball program.  Between 2020 and 2021, Wisconsin has seven of its 25 best commits in the rankings era.

I think another thing to consider will be how much better Illinois is going to be from here on out, what happens with Michigan, What happens with Nebraska.  

Also...I can't see Gard getting the sweet calls that Bo did at home, can you?  Bo OWNED that building and the refs.

• 5 months later...

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...