** 2018 Opponent Previews: Iowa (Game 12) **

7 hours ago, Red Five said:

Let's not pretend that Iowa's offense has turned a corner or anything against Illinois.  Yes, they scored 63, but with only 400 yards of total offense (203 rush, 197 pass).  Iowa had 6.7 yards/play on the day, and on the season Illinois gives up 7.1 yards/play.  (We averaged 10.5 yards/play against Illinois).

But Iowa's D is stout and very similar to MSU.  They only allow 4.3 yards/play (MSU is at 4.5 yards/play).

Illinois tuned the ball over 4 times, and (more importantly) Corbin only had one carry due to injury.

I’m struggling to think of a blackshirt who can stick with Iowa’s TEs. We will get burned by their play action multiple times I fear.  I’m hoping for no rain, because if our playbook is limited again, it could get ugly. It pains me to think this way, but I think we’re still a season away from turning the tables on the Hawkeyes. 

49 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I’m struggling to think of a blackshirt who can stick with Iowa’s TEs. We will get burned by their play action multiple times I fear.  I’m hoping for no rain, because if our playbook is limited again, it could get ugly. It pains me to think this way, but I think we’re still a season away from turning the tables on the Hawkeyes. 

49 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Domann can run with either on of them. His disadvantage will be giving up size to both, but he can definitely run with them and I think will be a huge piece of the gameplan by Chinander. I also think Chin may use Deontai Williams more in the box to help with this as well. 

8 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Domann can run with either on of them. His disadvantage will be giving up size to both, but he can definitely run with them and I think will be a huge piece of the gameplan by Chinander. I also think Chin may use Deontai Williams more in the box to help with this as well. 

Good points.  I also believe that TE coverage is a huge point of emphasis for Chinander this week.  We need to be real physical and smack some guys.  That way they'll think twice about crossing the middle on their slant routes.  

On 11/17/2018 at 2:49 PM, Moiraine said:

Last I checked it’s supposed to rain most of the day in Iowa City on Friday

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I refuse. But ya, Saturday is now just supposed to be cloudy with a high of 47 and 8mph winds. I think good weather helps us more than it helps Iowa so hopefully that stays the same.

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I was looking at Saturday on accident :(

I was going to ask but you had said Friday earlier so I assumed you were still looking at Friday.:lol: 

21 hours ago, Red Five said:

Let's not pretend that Iowa's offense has turned a corner or anything against Illinois.  Yes, they scored 63, but with only 400 yards of total offense (203 rush, 197 pass).  Iowa had 6.7 yards/play on the day, and on the season Illinois gives up 7.1 yards/play.  (We averaged 10.5 yards/play against Illinois).

But Iowa's D is stout and very similar to MSU.  They only allow 4.3 yards/play (MSU is at 4.5 yards/play).

The key to me is rush defense. Iowa is still stout, but MSU was very elite against the run. Iowa isn't quite there and I think that gives us what we need to move the ball. If we can be effective on the ground I like our chances. You know we are going to bust the defense on at least 1 vertical passing play, the key will be completing that pass, something we didn't do against MSU.