** 2018 Opponent Previews: Iowa (Game 12) **

Regardless of the weather and how Iowa's defense compares to MSU, I expect to score more than 9 points. Martinez seemed a little off all day, and maybe you can chalk that up to the weather and defense but I expect him to be his usual self this week. We're not putting up 50, but I think we can score.

I'm more worried about our defense, Iowa's line doesn't seem great this year but my understanding is it's way better than MSU's. The safeties are going to need to show up again, they are going to get bodies on the LBs a lot. At least I don't think Chinander will ask our DL to just stand there and get destroyed by the zone blocking, some run blitzes and penetration will be helpful.

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

Not sure what you mean by that. An average is just that - an average.

Yes, an average is an average. But there are teams that stay the same throughout the season, some who get gradually better, some who get worse, some who get a lot better. Seeing as we’re in the last category, season averages aren’t a very good way to measure where we’re at right now.

It seemed like on TV that going against the wind esp at beginning of game was def not good if you were trying to pass? Did the wind ever lighten up or seem to change direction? It just looked like some Martinez passes were really wobbly those first few drives.

Iowa game should be different.  I haven't even checked the weather though...

19 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Yes, an average is an average. But there are teams that stay the same throughout the season, some who get gradually better, some who get worse, some who get a lot better. Seeing as we’re in the last category, season averages aren’t a very good way to measure where we’re at right now.

What I'm really just wanting to convey is that:

1. You have a statistically really good defense (Iowa's) going up against a statistically very good offense (ours).

2. Iowa's defense is a machine against the run, but not that fast on the edges.

3. Iowa hasn't played that many dynamic offenses like ours, so there's a chance that our offensive style outclasses their stout defense.

4. Weather seems to be a bigger factor to our offensive style compared to their offensive style, so if the weather is bad, it probably favors Iowa.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

What I'm really just wanting to convey is that:

1. You have a statistically really good defense (Iowa's) going up against a statistically very good offense (ours).

2. Iowa's defense is a machine against the run, but not that fast on the edges.

3. Iowa hasn't played that many dynamic offenses like ours, so there's a chance that our offensive style outclasses their stout defense.

4. Weather seems to be a bigger factor to our offensive style compared to their offensive style, so if the weather is bad, it probably favors Iowa.

I agree, and the only concern I have regarding #3 is they've shut out Maryland and Illinois which are the most comparable running games to ours in my mind. Obviously we can pass much better than those teams, but to your fourth point the weather may cancel out that advantage. Wisconsin and (surprisingly) Northwestern are the only teams to have much success running on them. Don't know how NW did, but I think we need to hit a few passes to have much of a running game.

Kinda funny how both Adrian Martinez and Iowa's Nate Stanley have an identical 198 pass completions going into Friday's contest.

Adrian's came on 309 attempts (64.1% comp.) to Nate's 338 attempts (58.6% comp.).

They are very close in passing yards (AM: 2357 to NS: 2486).

Both have scored an identical 22 TDs this year, but in different ways: Nate Stanley, 21 passing, 1 russhing; Adrian Martinez, 15 passing, 7 rushing.

Martinez has a slight edge in Rating: 139.6 to 135.5.

Martinez has thrown 7 INT to Nate Stanley's 9.

Nate Stanley has punted twice this season (30.5 ave). He did it 3 times last season (37.0 ave.).

Adrian Martinez has not yet shown his punting prowess. :D

• Plus1 1

So while I'm concerned about the Iowa defense they do appear to be very good at shutting down average to bad teams but against teams with good talent and offense they have been very vulnerable and thus 4 loses.  I am nervous about the outcome but if the Huskers can keep up the good performance on offense I hope we can go out pick up 30 points and win the game.  They are a solid, balanced team so to win will take a team effort because I don't see Iowa giving the game away with errors and sloppy play. 

I'm really anxious to see our O go against another very stout run D without the wind.  Mich St and Iowa, IMO, pose the greatest test to this O.  Very solid run D and a very good front 7.  Michigan beat us like a drum.  Granted it was game 3, but we only scored 10 points.  A huge step forward would be a win against Iowa in their house.  Strength vs strength on Friday.