Vaha Vainuku

6 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

I don't have any knowledge or experience with this, but is it crazy to think guys stay in the weight room etc. when on their mission? I mean, it's not a coordinated program obviously, but I'd guess they find a way to stay in solid shape otherwise there would be no point to lock these guys in for a scholly if they are going to melt for 2 years?

I was thinking the same thing. His mission was in the Bay area, not in a third world country. I'm sure he had access to a weight room on a regular basis. Did he stay in the shape he needed to?  I don't know.

He suffered a Lisfranc injury his first contact practice at Utah and that hampered him from then on. If he's recovered from that, which supposedly he has, and if he's regained the agility he had in high school, I'm excited to see what he can do.

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

I don't have any knowledge or experience with this, but is it crazy to think guys stay in the weight room etc. when on their mission? I mean, it's not a coordinated program obviously, but I'd guess they find a way to stay in solid shape otherwise there would be no point to lock these guys in for a scholly if they are going to melt for 2 years?

He doesn't really look out of shape in the photo

Surprised our grad-transfer turned-out to be a DT that we're guessing could be tried on O-line but with new coaches being able to put current non-contributors on non-athletic scholarship this is the year to try such moves. It is nice that he has two years of eligibility left, certainly increases his chances of having an impact. 

7 hours ago, Spooky Tooth said:

Watching his HUDL highlights, it's almost cartoonish when he attacks linebackers. When he goes up against D Linemen he just blows them up. This one intrigues me.

Both of these commits today share that desire to hit people. That's definitely been missed, not only in our opinion as fans, but the coaches as well. Aggressiveness or lack thereof has been a common criticism of coaches on both sides of the ball this spring.

Both of these commits have good upside but carry increased risk, too. Even if these individuals don't pan out, the traits the coaches are looking for will lead to success down the road.

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Danimal said:

Surprised our grad-transfer turned-out to be a DT that we're guessing could be tried on O-line but with new coaches being able to put current non-contributors on non-athletic scholarship this is the year to try such moves. It is nice that he has two years of eligibility left, certainly increases his chances of having an impact. 

Do we only get one? 

12 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

I also don’t have first hand experience, but I believe the people on a mission have very limited work out options.  Most get their exercise from running/biking/etc.  They have a place they stay, and other missionaries to hang out with (and other church based people), but it’s not like 9-5 thing.  For example, they only get to call their family (if memory serves me correctly) 2 times a year.  

With regard to your second point, I believe some programs believe the player is worth the risk.  Others, such as BYU and Utah, are more supportive of a player’s choice to go on a mission.  

(I’m not sure about the above, as my knowledge about Mormon missionaries is limited.  I encourage people to correct me were I’m wrong.)

Serving as a LDS Missionary is VOLUNTARY!   It is encouraged as it can change you DRAMATICALLY for the better.

I wouldn't have traded my 2 years in Fiji for anything...except Mrs. The Mean Farmer!

Back in my 20s I witnessed a couple of acquaintances have their athletic careers destroyed by serving.  And they were OK with that.

Depending on where you go there aren't such things as weight rooms, time to devote to them, balls to throw, coaching etc..  Imagine the changes in nutrition if you serve in a 3rd world country! 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I stand corrected.

Was it ever mandatory?

You ALWAYS have the ability to make your own choices.   I have told my own kids that serving a mission will be a great addition to your life, but if YOU don't want to go then please don't. 

I don't think it was ever mandatory, but long ago a leader (or prophet himself) would show up on your doorstep and say that you have a calling to go preach in part xxx,yyyy of the world.  Under these circumstances you probably had a hard time saying no.   Some did, most didn't.

Today if you want to serve you need to fill out paperwork, schedule several interviews, and upon the recommendations from those interviews your application will be formally sent in.  Then you choose to accept a call to server wherever they tell you to, and then pay for it ALL yourself.

There are some today who pressure their kids to go and serve despite their willingness or conviction.   I think those days are slowly closing however.

Another way to state it - Salvation is NOT dependent on serving as a missionary. 

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, macroboy said:

Do we only get one? 

I didn't mean to imply that you only get one. Just that I was surprised that with all the talk about grad-transfers the one we get turned-out to be a DT rather than an area of immediate need. Maybe we try to move him to O-line but he'll have to acclimate himself to a new scheme and position in a short amount of time to do much in 2018. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Danimal said:

I didn't mean to imply that you only get one. Just that I was surprised that with all the talk about grad-transfers the one we get turned-out to be a DT rather than an area of immediate need. Maybe we try to move him to O-line but he'll have to acclimate himself to a new scheme and position in a short amount of time to do much in 2018. 

My guess is this player (can't really call him a kid as he's 25) is pretty smart if he graduated from college in 3 years.

19 hours ago, TheMeanFarmer said:

You ALWAYS have the ability to make your own choices.   I have told my own kids that serving a mission will be a great addition to your life, but if YOU don't want to go then please don't. 

I don't think it was ever mandatory, but long ago a leader (or prophet himself) would show up on your doorstep and say that you have a calling to go preach in part xxx,yyyy of the world.  Under these circumstances you probably had a hard time saying no.   Some did, most didn't.

Today if you want to serve you need to fill out paperwork, schedule several interviews, and upon the recommendations from those interviews your application will be formally sent in.  Then you choose to accept a call to server wherever they tell you to, and then pay for it ALL yourself.

There are some today who pressure their kids to go and serve despite their willingness or conviction.   I think those days are slowly closing however.

Another way to state it - Salvation is NOT dependent on serving as a missionary. 

How would it compare to something like confirmation in the Catholic church? What percentage of men go on a mission? I'm assuming almost all Catholics go through confirmation, although that's a bit different. You really don't have much of a choice when you're 14, heh.