OG Michael Lynn [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

27 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Lynn commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

7 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

Interesting that he made it known during his Soph year that if Colorado offered he'd commit. They didn't and still haven't offered. 

CU recruiting is perplexing.  They passed on Lynn, the local kid who appears to be a solid 3* recruit.  But they gave a scholie to a 2* OL from Austria?  Weird.  LINK

==========================  

Lynn is a good get for us.  Glad to have him :bigredn:

10 minutes ago, brophog said:

But based on his video, he's very lacking in technique. He's a big guy that's playing tackle, not a tackle that just happens to be big. 

I agree with the poster above, Anderson has a nastiness I don't see here. Both of these players, imo, need some time.

I think overall it's just VERY hard to find quality OTs coming out of high school.  After Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, USC, LSU, etc. get their pick there aren't a lot to go around.  Sean Callahan has noted several times over the last few months that even some the best Pipeline tackles from the 90s played guard in the NFL.  So until we start competing on the national level - or have a really good in somewhere - we're probably looking to mostly get some "project" guys and hope to build them up from there.

Farniok was barely a four-star but even when he was in high school there were rumblings that he'd end up at guard.  Jaimes was a higher three-star but not that close to a four-star.  Brokop was about the same but flamed out.  Gates was barely a four-star and was pretty decent but is a guard if he makes it in the NFL.  Paul Thurston was a mid-four-star but didn't pan out.  Tyler Moore was the last solid four-star OT we got but ran into personality issues.  Even in the supposed Callahan recruiting boom we got basically nothing for highly-rated OT recruits. 

Just a very hard position to recruit.

• Plus1 3
On 8/6/2018 at 4:31 PM, Mavric said:

I think overall it's just VERY hard to find quality OTs coming out of high school.  After Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, USC, LSU, etc. get their pick there aren't a lot to go around.  Sean Callahan has noted several times over the last few months that even some the best Pipeline tackles from the 90s played guard in the NFL.  So until we start competing on the national level - or have a really good in somewhere - we're probably looking to mostly get some "project" guys and hope to build them up from there.

Farniok was barely a four-star but even when he was in high school there were rumblings that he'd end up at guard.  Jaimes was a higher three-star but not that close to a four-star.  Brokop was about the same but flamed out.  Gates was barely a four-star and was pretty decent but is a guard if he makes it in the NFL.  Paul Thurston was a mid-four-star but didn't pan out.  Tyler Moore was the last solid four-star OT we got but ran into personality issues.  Even in the supposed Callahan recruiting boom we got basically nothing for highly-rated OT recruits. 

Just a very hard position to recruit.

I agree on this about how hard it is to recruit OTs. The amount of kids who are at least 6'6 275 - that can also play football well are slim to begin with

15 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I agree on this about how hard it is to recruit OTs. The amount of kids who are at least 6'6 275 - that can also play football well are slim to begin with

Yep. And like Mav said, even those guys who do have that size and the requisite athleticism wind up at places like Bama, OSU, Notre Dame, etc. Unless the kid has a reason to like NU to begin with we're not going to get that type of recruit 95% of the time. I played high school ball with Brandon Scherff, who played OT at Iowa a handful of years ago and wound up winning the Outland for them. He was pretty freakish athletically but even he was extremely raw (played only one year of offensive line in HS) and he STILL wound up at guard in the NFL. 

Dudes that can put it all together and come out of the gates ready to play OT are extremely, extremely rare. It's what LT is such a premium position for NFL teams.

Mav summed it up quite well. Personally I'm still salty Baker Steinkuhler didn't wind up playing OT, but he made his choice so you can't really fault him. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really like how he plays til the whistle even if the play has moved from his area.  This is the type of line recruiting that needs a couple years in the NU weight program - however should lead to several guys being solid fits as upperclassman.  Oklahoma is way ahead of NU right now but i feel like those will be some really good games down the road.

• Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Mavric changed the title to OG Michael Lynn [Nebraska Commit]