Athlon Rates Frost as the Seventh-Best Coach in the B1G

As of right now, I don't think you can objectively put Frost ahead of Meyer, Franklin, Dantonio, Chryst, Ferentz, Fitzgerald or Harbaugh. All seven of those guys have accomplished things at their current schools. Frost hasn't done anything at Nebraska yet.

In the near future though, I think Frost will be much higher. 

• Plus1 2

Just now, Hans Gruber said:

As of right now, I don't think you can objectively put Frost ahead of Meyer, Franklin, Dantonio, Chryst, Ferentz, Fitzgerald or Harbaugh. All seven of those guys have accomplished things at their current schools. Frost hasn't done anything at Nebraska yet.

In the near future though, I think Frost will be much higher. 

I might as well get this out of the way now.

- Ferentz had been to three BCS/New Year's 6 games

- Fitzgerald has three 10-win seasons at Northwestern

- Chryst has won back to back New Year's 6 games

- Harbaugh took Michigan to an Orange bowl in 2016 and came within an eyelash of winning the Big 10.

I don't think Meyer, Franklin or Dantonio need any explanation.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

I might as well get this out of the way now.

- Ferentz had been to three BCS/New Year's 6 games

- Fitzgerald has three 10-win seasons at Northwestern

- Chryst has won back to back New Year's 6 games

- Harbaugh took Michigan to an Orange bowl in 2016 and came within an eyelash of winning the Big 10.

I don't think Meyer, Franklin or Dantonio need any explanation.

They even said right in the article they expect Frost to move up the poll in the next 2 years.

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Couple points:    The best coach for Nebraska is the best coach in the country.  If we can't get the very best, then we want the next to the best or the third best.   We certainly don't go out and hire the 'future' of NU football by spending many millions of dollars to hire the 7th best coach in one of 5 of the top conferences making him somewhere around the middle of the pack of coaches in major school Div 1.   Nebraska expects to be a top ten program, not a top 60 program.   We had that with Riley, Pelini, Callahan, Solich.  To argue Frost is a middle of the pack coach is just not reasonable unless you believe Moos and Company are no better than our prior management.   At this point, I would SURE HOPE your wrong.

Secondly, I allowed that Frost might not be the best Big Ten coach as Meyer may be considerably better - arguably.   At this point, however, I am not sure I would trade Frost for ANY other coach in the country.  He is young, energetc, has demonstrated his capability to coach a team to great success, has learned under some of history's very best, most successful, etc.  He is a Husker at heart (or sure as heck it is hard to argue otherwise).   He knows NU football and is Nebraska born and raised.   His resume' is excellent and until he shows otherwise, I will steadfastly maintain he deserves to be considered one of the top 25 in all of college football and that means he's better than most of the Big Ten.

What in the bloody hell are you talking about :lol:

• Plus1 1
On 6/13/2018 at 4:05 PM, Edison's Enemy said:

Don’t get me wrong; I’m a huge fan of Frost and don’t think there was a better candidate out there. That being said, he hasn’t proven himself as a head coach at the P5 level yet. Objectively speaking, that puts him lower on the list. 

1. Meyer

2. Franklin

3. Chryst

4. Dantoni

5. Ferentz

6. Harbaugh

7. Fitzgerald

8. Frost

9. Brohm

10. Fleck

11. Allen

12. Durkin

13. Smith

14. Ash 

Even Ferentz wouldn't agree with your list. He isnt a better coach than Harbaugh, no matter how overrated Jimmy is. 

6 hours ago, Truth in Ruin said:

So 6 Big Ten coaches are better than the previous coach of the year?  Gaaaawd damn there’s some amazing coaches in the B1G!...

yes.

Unless you think Paul Chryst is the best coach in the B1G, since he's the 2 time reigning B1G coach of the year. Interestingly, Urban Meyer has never won that award.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, brophog said:

Because coaches on talented teams often get punished for having too good of a team relative to their (high) expectations.

aka because coach of the year awards mean very little as a metric of determining who are or aren't the best coaches around

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Landlord said:

yes.

Unless you think Paul Chryst is the best coach in the B1G, since he's the 2 time reigning B1G coach of the year. Interestingly, Urban Meyer has never won that award.

Earle Bruce was the last Ohio State football coach to be named the conference COTY. That was in 1979.

My viewpoint on this is simple. If you took every AD in the country and said you are losing your current coach. You can only choose a coach from the big 10 for your replacement. I think Urban Meyer is the most selected and Scott Frost would be second. Jim Harbaugh and James Franklin a toss up for 3rd. 

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

My viewpoint on this is simple. If you took every AD in the country and said you are losing your current coach. You can only choose a coach from the big 10 for your replacement. I think Urban Meyer is the most selected and Scott Frost would be second. Jim Harbaugh and James Franklin a toss up for 3rd. 

A lot of it depends on the situation.  If Bill Snyder up and decided today he's done and KState is looking for a new coach from only the B1G, I'm sure they'd definitely take a hard look at Meyer.  However, Dantoni would probably be the best fit and guy they pursue the hardest.  Good coaches need to be in the right situation in order to succeed.  Steve Spurrier had the Florida Gators ranked every year he coached them and over half the time finished the season in the top 10.  He goes to South Carolina, loses a lot more games, and has them finish unranked almost two thirds of the time.  Chip Kelly was great at Oregon.  This doesn't mean he'll be great at UCLA.  Sometimes, great programs win despite who the coach is.  I think we can look at Wisconsin and see one of those programs.  Another program like this would be Boise State.  They seem to win no matter who is on the sideline.  Then, there are programs that continue to struggle no matter who the coach is.  Texas right now would be one of those.  There are good capable coaches out there that still struggle. 

this is a stupid poll, based on no games coached in  the Big, by Frost.  What we do know is this, he took UCF and made a winner out of what he  had......he has really good experience to draw upon......Athlon is merely guessing, stuff like this is not worth my read time...yes, there is a learning curve for any newbie in a new league........so that makes him 7th best?

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Franklin is a more proven coach than Frost. I'm confident Frost is better but I'm a Nebraskan and  there may still be people who aren't sure of his consistency since he's only had 2 years. Also, UCF won the Fiesta the year before their winless season. The athletes they had probably weren't as awful as you'd expect.

1 minute ago, Hunter94 said:

this is a stupid poll, based on no games coached in  the Big, by Frost.  What we do know is this, he took UCF and made a winner out of what he  had......he has really good experience to draw upon......Athlon is merely guessing, stuff like this is not worth my read time...yes, there is a learning curve for any newbie in a new league........so that makes him 7th best?

It's not a stupid ranking. It just has a stupid title. It's not really a best coach ranking. It's more of a proven coach ranking.

• Plus1 1