Finally! Blackshirt Talk

This is defcorn 11!!!

We are going to ruin everything about the Huskers, throw away our tradition and stomp all over Bob Devaney's grave if we don't hand out the Blackshirts the way God & Tom Osborne intended!!!!!

I pray to God, little baby Jesus & Ndamukong Suh's swim move that we hand them out after the last week of camp, before the first game.  If we don't do it exactly like that and no other way, the terrorists have already won.

• Plus1 9

Kevin Ramaekers was taking it pretty hard from Charlie McBride in a Nebraska defensive film room the Tuesday after a Husker football game in 1991. McBride kept rewinding a play over and over. It always turned out the same. Ramaekers couldn't do anything about it but sink down in his chair.

"He called me the Dancing Bear," Ramaekers said. "He said, 'I can't believe I have a starting Dancing Bear on my squad."'

That was nothing compared to what would happen a few hours later to the defensive tackle from Norfolk, Neb. Ramaekers repeated the same mistake in practice and McBride, the Huskers' long-time defensive coordinator, was coming with something way more damaging than a cutesy nick-name. Ramaekers was about to forfeit his "Blackshirt" practice jersey. Words could not describe what that meant to a 20-year-old sophomore who had wept only months before when he first found it hanging in his locker.

"Coach McBride grabbed me by the neck and said, 'Take that off right now and give it to Jamie (Liewer),"' Ramaekers said. "If you were going to mess up, he wanted you going about 120 mph and I was going about 50. Talk about humbling. I walked down to the scout team and people were standing around thinking, 'This guy was a Blackshirt, and he just gave it away."'

http://www.kearneyhub.com/huskersnews/past-players-say-defense-lacks-the-old-swagger/article_dc951890-57f3-5432-9d7c-6e10f0091c8e.html

• Plus1 7

"Who's a Blackshirt? Well, it started off as the 11 starters," Chinander said. "To understand where it's at, it's not the 11 starters that's important. It's who deserves to be a Blackshirt. At that point in time (under McBride), it just so happened to be that those guys were doing everything the right way. And that was just the whole team at Nebraska at that time."

But right now? As a defense tries to find its footing after 4-8 season that was one of the worst statistical defensive seasons in modern Husker history?

"There might be 14 and there might be four," Chinander said. "The important thing is not only do they prove themselves on that field on Saturday by the way they play. They got to practice the right way and the way their teammates depend on them. They've got to go to school and they've got to be a Blackshirt on campus when they leave our building. They've got to be a Blackshirt in the community when they leave our building. They've got to be a Blackshirt in every facet of their life and they don't get one."

Chinander also said once a Blackshirt is handed out, it can be taken away as quickly as it was received.

"They have to know that, 'Listen, you don't own that Blackshirt, you're renting that Blackshirt and rent's due every day, bub.'"

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I both hated and loved how Bo handled them.  Seemed that every time he decided to hand them out, the next game brought us a woeful defensive performance.  I might just side with @KnappIc on this one, even through all his hyperbole.  Haha.

The difference would be that going by what the coaches are saying, is that they would lose their blackshirts whereas once Bo handed them out, they kept them