Finally! Blackshirt Talk

49 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Remember when you could talk about the Blackshirts as just being the starting 11?  

Every year we have a new DC, the "tradition" just keeps getting more convoluted.

That's what traditions do. The "tradition" of the Tunnel Walk has added video screens, music, even more music, light shows, smoke, fireworks, etc. Talk about convoluted! 

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I think it seems more complex than it did 25 years ago because football is more complex than it was 25 years ago.  You give the 11 starters argument, but the defense may not start the same 11 players from game to game, given the opponent.  I don't have an issue with more than 11 guys getting Blackshirts, but I would limit it to the nickel back, dime back, or even extra d-lineman.

I mean, yeah, they could give them to a few extra players and no one is going to throw a fit.  My point is just hand them out to who you think will be they key contributors in the fashion of starting a game and move on.

It doesn't have to be like it's been.

17 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Again.  Just stating my opinion that the simpler time of just handing them out to the 11 starters was good enough.  The only question used to be, "Who are the starters?"  Now there is a checklist that has to be completed before we know.  If you don't have anything better to do than to make snarky posts on my comments, I suggest moving on.  

And I am just stating what I know about the tradition with no snark.

I prefer simple as well. But the people in power might not, so I go along with it because I genuinely trust Scott's vision for the program.

For now anyway.

32 minutes ago, Landlord said:

That's what traditions do. The "tradition" of the Tunnel Walk has added video screens, music, even more music, light shows, smoke, fireworks, etc. Talk about convoluted! 

Some evolutions are good.  Some aren’t.  IN MY OPINION, what’s happened to this particular one was not.  It took the identity of the top defensive unit and turned it into an individual achievement award.  

But whatever.  Sorry for having an opinion on something once again.

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

We've "evolved" into having to ask when and how many shirts will be handed out.  And what the criteria is.  And did they check with McBride.

Simpler was better regarding this area of Husker football.

The Blackshirt tradition evolved from a color of the jersey to identify defensive starters to a symptom of a defensive toughness and mentality (which occurred back in the 60's). When that happened, the approach to who gets one and when also evolved. Hopefully, the whole defense gets back to a group of tough SOBs, and handing those things out will be a no brain again. 

To get a little of the history right, it was Mike Corgan who was sent to the store by Devaney one day in 1964 to buy some new practice jerseys. There were different colors for first-string and second-string defense, and also for first- vs second-string offense. First mention of the Blackshirts in a Nebraska was in 1969 (a few years before Kiffin was made DC, I believe).

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Toe said:

To get a little of the history right, it was Mike Corgan who was sent to the store by Devaney one day in 1964 to buy some new practice jerseys. There were different colors for first-string and second-string defense, and also for first- vs second-string offense. First mention of the Blackshirts in a Nebraska was in 1969 (a few years before Kiffin was made DC, I believe).

I thought i had heard that, but a little differently --- in that, they didn't have enough shirts at the sporting goods store, so they HAD to get some with a different color.

6 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Some evolutions are good.  Some aren’t.  IN MY OPINION, what’s happened to this particular one was not.  It took the identity of the top defensive unit and turned it into an individual achievement award.  

But whatever.  Sorry for having an opinion on something once again.

No problem in having an opinion. The point of messageboards is for me to tell you that your opinion is stupid, and for you to tell me the same :P

To say that the tradition has always historically just been the starting defensive unit is disingenuous, IN MY OPINION :lol: The tradition is a symbol of a standard of excellence on that side of the ball. Once the way it had mostly been done wasn't pairing well with what it represented, it started to change. 

One of the largest reasons this became a big deal was because of the way BP reacted to being asked about them. It was a clear pressure point for him and yet he just kept doing things his way and reacting poorly to the questions.

Personally, would I prefer they just get handed out preseason and be done with them? Yeah, I would. But, I understand what's led to things being the way they are now. This also all ultimately comes down to one thing - playing good defense. Start doing that and everything else will work itself out.

• Plus1 1

What Is Nebraska's Blackshirt Tradition Now?

The passing of time has led to some uncertainty as to exactly when the Cornhuskers began wearing black contrast pullovers in practice. Some recall it happening in spring practice, others in the fall, the week before the second game at Minnesota. Devaney continued with first, second and third teams for the opener, a 56-0 victory against outmanned South Dakota.

In preparation for Minnesota, however, Devaney and staff divided the team into offensive and defensive units. And to differentiate, he assigned colored pullovers. 

In all likelihood, backs coach Mike Corgan purchased the black pullovers at a local sporting goods store, getting a good deal, as the story goes, because the black ones weren’t selling.

Corgan was noted for his frugality.

Previously, when players were practicing on defense, they wore more traditional gray pullovers. But with the two-platoon system, defensive assistants George Kelly and Jim Ross decided to give the black pullovers to the first defense to motivate those on the lower units.

Here’s an important point, however. The black pullovers were handed out before each day’s practice and picked up afterward. A player might have one on Monday and not on Tuesday. 

The black pullovers had to be earned at each practice. Kelly and Ross began referring to “Black Shirts” (often two words until about 1978) or “Blackshirts” to motivate the defense. The designation caught on almost immediately. And again, it was performance-based.

Mike Babcock with Hail Varsity gives some insight into the beginning of the Blackshirt tradition.

• Plus1 3

As a fan I am kinda over the "Blackshirts tradition."  Back in the 60's when it started the defense had 11 starters week in and week out and it didn't change except for injury.  Now with all the different offenses there can be 15 to 18 different players penciled in depending on the team we are playing and substitutions on different downs.  If the kids want it and it can be figured out easily I'm not opposed to it.

9 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I'm not an OWH subscriber so I don't know what Sam's proposal is.  But I agree with Jay.

This reply mentions waiting until after the bowl game to award Blackshirts? I hope Sam didn't really suggest that