Finally! Blackshirt Talk

37 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

This misses the point. Statistics are like bikinis: What they show you is revealing, but what they hide is VITAL. Great. A whole 100 people took the time to Google blackshirts when it was mentioned. But where are the stats for the number of people that didn't? For how many did the reference go straight over their head?  And more importantly, how many would more clearly have understood where Nate Gerry played college ball (without needing to Google) if he had simply said "University of Nebraska"? This graph makes my point. How many hundreds of thousands of people were tuned in and paying attention when he said that. And you only got 100 people to jump through the hoop you wanted them to jump through?  How about not putting hurdles in front of people (outside Nebraska) understanding your brand in the first place?

Some players don't even say their schools - some say their home towns or high schools. Nate is under no obligation to brand UNL when his face shows up for two seconds in a broadcast.

Don't get me wrong - I get what you're saying. But, this isn't the university trying to brand themselves. It's a former player giving a shoutout to something that matters to him. Nobody here questions that the brand is "Nebraska" and "Cornhuskers/Huskers." But, the Blackshirts are a part of the university's brand architecture.

41 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

This misses the point. Statistics are like bikinis: What they show you is revealing, but what they hide is VITAL. Great. A whole 100 people took the time to Google blackshirts when it was mentioned. But where are the stats for the number of people that didn't? For how many did the reference go straight over their head?  And more importantly, how many would more clearly have understood where Nate Gerry played college ball (without needing to Google) if he had simply said "University of Nebraska"? This graph makes my point. How many hundreds of thousands of people were tuned in and paying attention when he said that. And you only got 100 people to jump through the hoop you wanted them to jump through?  How about not putting hurdles in front of people (outside Nebraska) understanding your brand in the first place?

Maybe the rest of the hundreds of thousands of people watching already know a) he graduated from the University of Nebraska....or b)  The Nebraska defense is called the Blackshirts, so they don't need to google it.

Honestly, most of the people watching don't sit there and listen to where every single player is saying he's from.  I bet you less than 10% care or listen to every player.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Maybe the rest of the hundreds of thousands of people watching already know a) he graduated from the University of Nebraska....or b)  The Nebraska defense is called the Blackshirts, so they don't need to google it.

Honestly, most of the people watching don't sit there and listen to where every single player is saying he's from.  I bet you less than 10% care or listen to every player.

The 100 is not a count. Just wanted to repeat that.

As far as branding goes, when people hear Nebraska they think about corn. When people hear “Blackshirt” maybe they think “hey that sounds cool, what is it?”

22 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The 100 is NOT a count. It’s a way to compare the peak popularity of the term to other moments.

It could be 5 million people searched it yesterday. Or maybe it was 12. The chart shows you that a lot more than usual looked on the day Gerry mentioned Blackshirts.

She's right. Here's an example that illustrates her point exactly:

riley-trend.thumb.jpg.3a0eb155cdc1a91cf6273c5bb7a0b27e.jpg

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

The buffaloes scored reasonably well last year, but were shut out by Washington State (94 passing yards, and 98 rushing). Does anyone know why? Injuries, great scheme by WSU? Weather?

Faced with driving rain, winds and low temperatures, the Air Raid offense of No. 15 Washington State converted to a ground game.

Leach acknowledged the weather was brutal.

"The first half was pretty extreme," Leach said. "The wind was blowing and all the swirling rain makes it tough."

Phillip Lindsay rushed for 98 yards for Colorado (4-4, 1-4), which was coming off its first Pac-12 win. Lindsay came in needing just five yards to top 1,000 for the season.

"That was the worst offensive performance we've had since I've been a coach here," Colorado coach Mike MacIntyre said.

The Buffaloes used three quarterbacks, who completed just 13 of 34 passes for 94 yards, and were held to 174 yards of offense.

"Mainly they just whipped us," MacIntyre said. "Washington State played great tonight."

ESPN