Finally! Blackshirt Talk

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I appreciate Stille's attitude but he might want to back off the Wistrom/Peter standard just a hair. If the players need to get to that level for blackshirt, we may never have one again.

He explained that they had just been in film session and it was pointed out that there were a couple plays where he didn't pursue from the back side like he should have.  They got out of the meeting and went to the locker room and the Blackshirt was there.  He said he didn't feel like some of his effort that they had just gone over was worthy of a Blackshirt so he traded it back for a yellow jersey.

So it would seem to be more about effort than performance.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He explained that they had just been in film session and it was pointed out that there were a couple plays where he didn't pursue from the back side like he should have.  They got out of the meeting and went to the locker room and the Blackshirt was there.  He said he didn't feel like some of his effort that they had just gone over was worthy of a Blackshirt so he traded it back for a yellow jersey.

So it would seem to be more about effort than performance.

I sort of figured his reasoning for turning it down was likely that he felt he could do more in the effort area. That's the way guys with the right attitude think. But my only reason for saying he shouldn't hold himself to the Wistrom/Peter level is because those guys are basically the pinnacle of attitude and effort of a blackshirt. Not sure anyone will ever out do those two in that area. But it sure is refreshing to finally see some guys that get it and trying to emulate it. It's never been about performance to me, although that usually follows on the heels of the other traits.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I sort of figured his reasoning for turning it down was likely that he felt he could do more in the effort area. That's the way guys with the right attitude think. But my only reason for saying he shouldn't hold himself to the Wistrom/Peter level is because those guys are basically the pinnacle of attitude and effort of a blackshirt. Not sure anyone will ever out do those two in that area. But it sure is refreshing to finally see some guys that get it and trying to emulate it. It's never been about performance to me, although that usually follows on the heels of the other traits.

Can't out do someone if you aren't at least trying.  I think he's got the right attitude.  As a coach for a few years we would give them out since my father actually earned one way back in the day.  I would have players ask me when they were going to get theirs.  I would actually point out stuff like this.  I would ask them if they were running 100% on this play (I could obviously tell they werern't),  if they said no I would just ask them if they thought they really deserved it  (normally it wasn't just one play that I would point out).  Most of the time they would say no and most of the kids actually wanted to earn them.  Funny thing is too My father in the first 16 yrs of coaching didn't hand them out until he switched schools and took over a team with the longest losing streak in the state.  Gave them something to be proud of even when we weren't winning games.  Eventually they stopped quitting when things got tough like Riley teams and we won a bunch of games.  There is no reason to think Nebraska can't get back to a dominating defense with a bunch of guys with the right attitude.

Stille is a blackshirt.  Pretty sure he was hard on his game and if you take the mic out of it, the brothers in the locker room would understand. 

Just got to let big fella know that some of the greatest blackshirts have had plays on a day they wished they had back.  He's doing well and getting better and better.  It's all you could want

• 3 weeks later...