Get with The Program

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Great.....but, I'm to the point with these types of programs that I'm not impressed anymore with the fact the team is doing them.  We have had them here before and we saw the ultimate results in the fall.

Now, if they actually instill a mentality that carries into the fall.....GREAT.....

100% agree...these things have sort of become a fad that so many college teams use.  Just speaking from a HS coaching viewpoint (we have done these in the past as well) usually we look at this as a little break for the staff and something different for the player to do.   

• Plus1 2

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Great.....but, I'm to the point with these types of programs that I'm not impressed anymore with the fact the team is doing them.  We have had them here before and we saw the ultimate results in the fall.

Now, if they actually instill a mentality that carries into the fall.....GREAT.....

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

100% agree...these things have sort of become a fad that so many college teams use.  Just speaking from a HS coaching viewpoint (we have done these in the past as well) usually we look at this as a little break for the staff and something different for the player to do.   

Agree with both. I think tearchcd hits it on the head, and to expand a bit, in the middle of summer work-outs it helps the mental aspect of the players (along with physical) to changing up the routine of work-outs from just being in the gym. 

8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think if they are used in conjunction with OTHER means of creating and continuing the team atmosphere, then it will be worth it.  But, I’m with you at this point - until it shows results in the fall/winter, I’m not going to get rah rah about these any more. 

This training appears to be the very kind of thing that our football team has needed for a long  time:   a good dose of 'toughness' - both physical and mental along with the consequent self confidence that completing these types of efforts can produce.  Bigger, stronger and faster is BOTH physical and mental or it should be.   You need to have the inherent 'want to' or 'hunger' as Mike Minter once put it I recall.  Once you have the hunger, you can develop the physical and mental stamina and power to accomplish your goals and objectives.  

I believe Frost is attempting to recruit players with the hunger and as much of the physical and mental capability as possible.   Once on campus, he and the staff will do all reasonable things possible to increase each player's abilities through practice and repetition and reinforce that internal hunger and 'want to' factor where possible.   For players without the hunger, the early exit is highly likely.   If you don't have the hunger, you won't complete the training regimen nor will your leadership and self confidence emerge.    Lead, follow or get out of the way!    I think we've seen such a big roster turnover as a direct result of the foregoing.   

This fall will be so exciting to see just how far this new team (in many ways this team will be so dramatically different than last year's) has come.   Will they come out with the heart and fire and determination and toughness (I think that is what seperated Frost from almost all others really) that exemplifies the Program or not?    Answer comes in a matter of 11 weeks or so.   Can't wait.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

These things are more or less just a business industry. Some smart entrepeneurs found a way to become beneficiary middle men, and once enough people were doing it everyone decided they had to because everyone else was doing it. 

6 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

This training appears to be the very kind of thing that our football team has needed for a long  time:   a good dose of 'toughness' - both physical and mental along with the consequent self confidence that completing these types of efforts can produce.

We've been doing this exact training since at least 2012.

• Plus1 3
6 hours ago, Landlord said:

These things are more or less just a business industry. Some smart entrepeneurs found a way to become beneficiary middle men, and once enough people were doing it everyone decided they had to because everyone else was doing it. 

Yep...it is a business and enough coaches have bought the service that it is sticking around.  

The players carrying a big heavy log around does no more to "build a team" then those backyard cookouts do...but it is all part of the process that has become big time sports and there is not anything wrong about it...it is just how it is.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I imagine the cost is well over 6 figures for them to come out... Hope it returns some positive gains this year!

marketing, nothing revolutionary here........boot camp basics.......yawn.

23 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Maybe the results would’ve been worse without it :)

• Plus1 1