Get with The Program

I really just want this to be it, ya know?  I let myself go all in back in 2008.  By 2012 when it started becoming too obvious that s#!t just wasn't going to trend up I started losing the passion.  By the time the final whistle of the 2014 BYU game blew I had all but put my candle out.

Videos like this make me want to reignite the flame, but the fear of getting burned is still too fresh. 

1 hour ago, Redux said:

I really just want this to be it, ya know?  I let myself go all in back in 2008.  By 2012 when it started becoming too obvious that s#!t just wasn't going to trend up I started losing the passion.  By the time the final whistle of the 2014 BYU game blew I had all but put my candle out.

Videos like this make me want to reignite the flame, but the fear of getting burned is still too fresh. 

I hear ya brother. Watching the final play that game was one of those "is this really what we've become" moments. A doormat? I've been pretty numb since then. I was trying to get pumped last year, but the loses we're so depressing, and seeing us get rolled in person at Michigan was embarrassing.

But we've turned a corner. The team fought tooth and nail for every game after we left Ann Arbor. Frost is building something special and he's doing it the right way. I've been getting those goosebumps again when I watch new Husker videos. It's going to be a hmm of a ride, so hop on!

1 hour ago, Redux said:

I hear ya, I really do. But this time you have to let it go. Because if it doesn't happen with Scott Frost, it probably isn't going to happen again. If we fail AGAIN, who will be able to overcome 25 years? 

Let it go because if it works, the hype will make it so much more worth it.  You won't be wishing you would have relaxed and enjoyed the ride.  If it comes crashing down again, at least you enjoyed the build up one more time.

Life's too short, so let's ride.

G. B. M. F. R. 

No one knows what will happen.  But if Nebraska was ever going to return to prominence, we needed a great hire for head coach.  I think we got it, but I don't think it will happen as fast as some think.  I expect improvement this year, but not really sure we will be as dominant as some seem to think.  Other programs are making strides to improve, and all have the money to do it now.  No excuses for the conference. We will have tough fights to win, but I have faith that Coach Frost will figure it out.  Still think patience is needed.  

5 minutes ago, skersfan said:

No one knows what will happen.  But if Nebraska was ever going to return to prominence, we needed a great hire for head coach.  I think we got it, but I don't think it will happen as fast as some think.  I expect improvement this year, but not really sure we will be as dominant as some seem to think.  Other programs are making strides to improve, and all have the money to do it now.  No excuses for the conference. We will have tough fights to win, but I have faith that Coach Frost will figure it out.  Still think patience  is still needed  

Patience is the key.  I expect marked improvement this year.  BUT that's dependent on guys stepping up.  Guys meeting/exceeding expectations.....Ending the season 4-2 speaks well to the upcoming year.  The pre-season accolades speak well to the upcoming season.  Looking forward to some football.

3 hours ago, Redux said:

I remember wanting to give up after 7 bowl losses.  (Admittedly I cried, as a full grown adult, after one of them where we were so badly manhandled).  Then, the feast.  Waiting for another feast, which i have no doubt will come, after a pretty long famine.  If not, at least this version of the famine was fun as hell to watch.

"The Program" and routines like it are commonplace in college football and have never been shown to be effective.  I don't post this to be a downer, but I just can't stand all the sunshine pumping.  People seems to think all Nebraska has to do is "work harder", and "be 100% committed and team-oriented" and we will win championships.  The idea that treating football like a military exercise is a good tactic, to either win football games, or build team spirit, has been debunked over and over again, from Paul Bear Bryant at Texas A&M, through to the modern medical understanding of sports injuries and psychology.

Ohio Bobcats 2014 after Navy Seal Training: 6-6 record

Northwestern Wildcats 2014 after Navy Seal Training: 5-7 record

Arizona Football 2016 after Navy Seal Training: 3-9 record

You could go on and on and on and on and on.  You could also find great teams that go through Navy Seal Training in the pre-season and do great in the regular season.  Because those teams are already good.

https://www.amazon.com/How-We-Can-Save-Sports/dp/1442242647

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/preseason-military-style-training-becoming-commonplace-in-college-basketball-other-sports (2013)

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, CriticalFan said:

People seems to think all Nebraska has to do is "work harder", and "be 100% committed and team-oriented" and we will win championships.

Heh, strong first post!

To the quoted section, you're really not going to find anybody on this forum that actually believes that, so that's really a straw man.

The rest of the points you made were more or less valid, but here's the part you're missing: Anything that can be used as a tool to get the team to respond in a way where "team" is placed over the individual that yields positive outcomes is beneficial. You kind of painted it out as an all or nothing, black/white situation that really is a straw man of any actual argument in favor of this sort of training.

It's really about the coach leading the team into this sort of program, actually. If the players trust the coach to not put them through something intentionally hokey and full of frills and they respond positively and grow closer to this kind of thing, a benefit is yielded. Don't overthink it.   :)

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Undone said:

Heh, strong first post!

To the quoted section, you're really not going to find anybody on this forum that actually believes that, so that's really a straw man.

The rest of the points you made were more or less valid, but here's the part you're missing: Anything that can be used as a tool to get the team to respond in a way where "team" is placed over the individual that yields positive outcomes is beneficial. You kind of painted it out as an all or nothing, black/white situation that really is a straw man of any actual argument in favor of this sort of training.

It's really about the coach leading the team into this sort of program, actually. If the players trust the coach to not put them through something intentionally hokey and full of frills and they respond positively and grow closer to this kind of thing, a benefit is yielded. Don't overthink it.   :)

We will have to agree to disagree on whether or not people believe that all NU has to do is "work harder" or be more "team oriented", I see too much evidence of this in the forum and in those I talk to on a day to day basis. 

However, I do think you are right that I could have been missing some of the point in painting it as a black and white situation.  Thanks for a constructive reply.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, CriticalFan said:

We will have to agree to disagree on whether or not people believe that all NU has to do is "work harder" or be more "team oriented", I see too much evidence of this in the forum and in those I talk to on a day to day basis. 

However, I do think you are right that I could have been missing some of the point in painting it as a black and white situation.  Thanks for a constructive reply.

You mean in the one hour since you created your new account? Tell me more...

19 minutes ago, Undone said:

You mean in the one hour since you created your new account? Tell me more...

Lurking is a slang term for when an individual reads a message board without posting or engaging with the community. Lurking is sometimes encouraged by forum moderators as a way for new members to get a sense of the community and etiquette before participating.  

You can view the forum before becoming a member....

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1