Nebraska High School Players - Class of 2021

33 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Does Zatechka have a walk-on offer from NU?  If so, how does this PWO offer from K-State differ from that offer?  Is that where if Zatehcka cracks the 2-deep within a year or two, he will go on scholarship?

I only ask because for all the crying and whining that Rob has done on Twitter, Isaac isn't getting the major scholarship offers that Rob is fishing for.

• Plus1 2
47 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Does Zatechka have a walk-on offer from NU?  If so, how does this PWO offer from K-State differ from that offer?  Is that where if Zatehcka cracks the 2-deep within a year or two, he will go on scholarship?

I only ask because for all the crying and whining that Rob has done on Twitter, Isaac isn't getting the major scholarship offers that Rob is fishing for.

I haven't been able to tell for sure if he has a walk-on offer or not.  My best guess from what I read is they are trying to work out some sort of deal like they did with Ty Hahn - walk-on for two years, scholarship for three.  But I don't know if they just haven't decided that's what they want to commit to or what's going on.  I've also heard he's not really interested in a walk-on role so he might take a scholarship from a lower-level school if he doesn't get one right away.  So there are probably several variables trying to get worked out.  

But it definitely seems like we're talking to him and trying to figure out something that will work for both parties.  Having everyone get an extra year probably muddied the waters as well.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

Is this a bad look? Did the Huskers slow play him too long? I know his sister is there/going there for volleyball. Sucks to lose a legacy kid...

It's sort of a bad look IMO, but really not that bad. I'm a sucker for legacy kids and really don't understand why we couldn't have thrown out an offer for any in-state Center that has a chance of turning into a good player. But at the same time, there's a reason his only FBS offers are PWO.

The only bad piece of it is picking an out of state PWO offer over ours, but I get it - we took a long time, so if we don't believe in him he'll go to a school that does. If we'd offered at the same time as Mizzou/K State and he still picked them, that's more of a red flag overall. But I think he's just pissed we waited so long, and I hope that chip on his shoulder takes him far - best of luck to him at Mizzou! Wish he was here, but the reality is he's a long shot to contribute at the FBS level and we have a lot of OL on the roster. Not a lot of Centers, but no one counts PWO or unranked/2* scholarship commits as addressing a need in recruiting.

3 hours ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

Is this a bad look? Did the Huskers slow play him too long? I know his sister is there/going there for volleyball. Sucks to lose a legacy kid...

It's tough to know what actually went on.  I know we've been talking with him for quite some time so I think the PWO "offer" was more of a formality.  It's not like we haven't been speaking with him until recently.

Last I read, he claimed he wasn't really interested in a walk-on spot.  So the thinking was we were trying to work out some sort of deal where he would walk-on for two years and then go on scholarship or something like that.  Perhaps we decided we didn't want to commit to that so that's when the offer went out as a regular walk on.

Will be interesting to see if it works out for him.

• 2 weeks later...