Bill Clinton, Monstrous Crimes, and Liberal #MeToo Hypocrisy

Forgive me for 'pontificating' here - this isn't aimed at anyone particular but everyone in general - especially & including myself.  Here is the deal as I see it - I see this in the comments above and in other threads.  "What-about-isms" -- Clinton bad, Trump badder or visa versa.  We can allow our political biases to  blind us the reality that all is bad - not a matter of degrees but bad through and through.  It is called sin. We are afraid to call a spade a spade for want of loss - loss of a political argument, loss of an advantage, etc.  By us arguing over which is 'badder' we give cover to the lessor bad which allows some room for excuses, wiggle room for compromise, and we lesson our own sensitivity to the bad - thus we end up being indirect participants by giving cover.  I don't see either men as fully taking responsibility and humbling themselves in these situations - they have counted the political cost and believe the cost to be too high (reminds me of the 'gain the whole world and lose your soul' comment in the gospels).  Right now most of us are indignant of politicians and religious leaders who give cover to Trump with such statements like "We didn't elect a national pastor".  20 years ago it was the Dems along with their liberal & feminist friends doing the same thing wt Clinton - giving him cover.  Our compromise  due to political expediency and our personal political bias shouts out "hypocrite" when we provide cover to their improper behavior.  One of the reasons I could no longer support the Republican party as it now exists is because I could no longer tolerate the hypocrisy I saw in my own soul when I tried to defend the indefensible. 

• Plus1 3

Democrats need to admit that Bill Clinton's serial philandering and textbook sexual harassment wouldn't survive a day in the #metoo climate, and that even feminists like Gloria Steinam did some embarrassing rationalization on his behalf back in the day. Clinton could have made a really poignant apology in the last year. He didn't. He still thinks he's running for something. Bill's arrogance can stand on its own. I'm more than willing to turn my back on him.

That being said, Democrats seem to agree that Clinton is too toxic to be used for this year's midterm campaigning. Al Franken was forced to resign. Supposedly liberal media icons like Harvey Weinstein, Charlie Rose, Garrison Keilor, Matt Lauerer Ryan Lizza, the news director of NPR, John Lassetter, etc, etc, all lost their jobs and considerable influence almost immediately upon the revelations going public. 

If you'll recall when the Weinstein revelations first broke, the conservative blogosphere wondered if the liberal hypocrites would dish out the same treatment to their beloved fundraisers, mouthpieces and Hollywood allies that Roger Ailes and Bill O'Reilly got. Well it turns out they did, and then some. So #metoo is actually notable for its lack of hypocrisy. 

But it also reminds me that the whole Monica Lewsinsky scandal came out of a two year search for impeachable offenses that started with Whitewater -- a 20 year old rumor that the Clinton's had profited from a politically influenced land deal in Arkansas.  Doesn't that seem quaintly low stakes compared to the far better-vetted Russia investigation we're told is a non-story and a witch hunt?

• Plus1 8
3 hours ago, Fru said:

We're done here right?

Yeah, pretty much. 

2 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I'm assuming by the shear number of inflammatory topics you've started today that you had a rough weekend.  I hope your day gets better.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, NM11046 said:

:thumbs

• You have no idea what he is or isn't doing in the oval.
  • The list of crimes he's committed is a lengthy one.  If we stick to just sexual assault/abuse/rape, there are 22+ women.

I'm assuming by the shear number of inflammatory topics you've started today that you had a rough weekend.  I hope your day gets better.

Yawn. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well it does work both ways, you know. 

If Bill Clinton is a monster (and you're not getting much argument here) can I trust you'll join us in our outrage over Donald Trump?

There is substantially less credible evidence against Trump than Clinton. And it’s hilarious how The only reason Democrats condemn Clinton now, decades after lauding him as a prince among men, is that they have to in order to mot be horribly obvious hypocrites when they condemn Trump.

That being said, hell yes I condemn Trump. If he sexually assaulted, sexually harassed, or even raped women, then he’s a piece of crap...just like Clinton.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

There is substantially less credible evidence against Trump than Clinton. And it’s hilarious how The only reason Democrats condemn Clinton now, decades after lauding him as a prince among men, is that they have to in order to mot be horribly obvious hypocrites when they condemn Trump.

That being said, hell yes I condemn Trump. If he sexually assaulted, sexually harassed, or even raped women, then he’s a piece of crap...just like Clinton.

There's a whole crop of female Democrats (and hell, male ones as well) who weren't in office during the Clinton years who would disagree with you on the top bit.

But I can certainly understand where you're coming from with your disdain. I similarly feel angsty towards Boomers who feel like Trump is some kind of second coming that can save our country as it drastically tailspins out of control. 

• Plus1 2

16 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm not a Democrat, but I condemn him now because I was only 9-11 years old when President Clinton was having an affair with Monica Lewinsky, etc. It is not hypocrisy. Many have never "lauded him as a prince among men." Trump deserves condemnation. 

• Plus1 1