Tetons and Yellowstone - mid Oct

23 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Sounds like my kind of trip.   If you have the info. please send me the info on the pack packing equipment rental place.   I've been wanting to do a extended hike with my 2 sons - one is 31 and the other is 37.  I may be getting too old for the 3 day one unless I get into shape (sounds like a goal in the making).  Did the rental place drop you off and pick you up at specific places and if so can you modify the length of the trip? Or were you all on your own.   

How many days should we give to exploring Yellowstone like you did - I was thinking 2 (upper and lower) but it may need more.  I was thinking of using northern Jackson Hole valley as the base to go to Yellowstone - maybe stay a night there.  Any tips on where to stay?

Ok enough questions.  Since our oldest son moved from Colo Springs 4 years ago to Asheville, NC we haven't made it back to Colorado or any 'real mountains'.  We've been to the Smokies - which are great but not the same.  We do have the Tulsa Mountains - an old radio joke.  We have Turkey Mtn - which I'm not sure if it is legally a mountain or a very tall hill.   

Sunday - Drove up, got checked in, ate supper and did some shopping.

Monday - Headed to Yellowstone and visited all the major tourist sites.  Old Faithfull, Yellowstone Grand Canyon (amazing)....etc.  This took all day.  We did make it back to Jackson in time for supper.  But, it was a big day.  Could easily spend more time than this in Yellowstone.

Tuesday - Got up early, went Kayaking on Jenny Lake.  Beautiful and relaxing.  Kayaked across lake then went on a nice hike up to a lookout area.  This took us up to around noon.  Got a nice lunch then went to check in at our camping rental store.  This took a little while because they we talked to them a lot about where to hike.  A hike like we did (and never had done it before) took a lot of planning and they were great at advising us on where to go.

Wednesday - This is where it got interesting.  Loaded up with gear for three days.  Everything is pack in and pack out with no facilities once you leave civilization.  food, toilet paper...everything.  We took the Gondola out of Teton Village.  That got us up at least to a decent altitude first.  We then hiked to Marion Lake.  This was a pretty big day for our first time at altitude.  Absolutely beautiful.  

Thursday - Our biggest day as far as miles, we hiked along Death Canyon shelf, to get to the Alaska Basin.  Absolutely beautiful.  The wild flowers were in their peak season and it was like a HUGE landscaped garden in areas we went through with gorgeous sites everywhere.  We camped in Alaska Basin.  It's actually outside the national park so there is no designated sites.  you find a spot, and camp.  

Friday - Less miles than Thursday, but it was a huge day that we really weren't expecting.  We started at around 9,000 feet from our campsite, had to climb up to over 11,000 and cross over static peak.  This is the highest trail in the entire park and it's the most hit spot with lightning.  Yes, a storm was coming when we were crossing.  We had to cross multiple glaciers and do a lot of switchbacks both going up and down the peak.  From the peak, we had to descend around 7,000 feet.  Going down is a killer on the legs.  Bad thing was, once we got down to Phelps lake, the trail went back up a long ways.  My wife just about didn't make that climb.  We think this day was around 10-12 miles but it was absolutely grueling most of the time.  You really felt like you were on top of the world though.  Beautiful (common theme :) ).

We were able to get home Saturday morning.  

Both my wife and I dropped between 5-9 lbs on the trip.

All three days were with what we figure probably was about 50-60 lbs on our backs.  We over packed because it was our first time.  We would do some things different...like, we took way too much food.

Lodging  = 49er Inn and Suites.  This was cheaper than lots of places and still nice.  Right off of down town and nice location.

Rentals = https://tetonbcrentals.com/index  These guys were fantastic.  They were very experienced in hiking themselves and knew exactly what we needed.  Talk to them long before you go.  Their website is a great resource too on what you need to pack.  The right clothing is extremely important.  The weather was nice and in the 60s during the day when we were there, but it would could dip down into the upper 30s at night.  Need lots of layers and REALLY GOOD hiking shoes that are well broke in.

Bear spray.....always take bear spray and have it ready.  Be smart.  A hiking trip like we did is not for people who aren't in shape and conscious about what they are getting into.

Have fun and let me know if you have any other questions.

I hope to do some hiking in the Rocky Mountain National Park next summer.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sunday - Drove up, got checked in, ate supper and did some shopping.

Monday - Headed to Yellowstone and visited all the major tourist sites.  Old Faithfull, Yellowstone Grand Canyon (amazing)....etc.  This took all day.  We did make it back to Jackson in time for supper.  But, it was a big day.  Could easily spend more time than this in Yellowstone.

Tuesday - Got up early, went Kayaking on Jenny Lake.  Beautiful and relaxing.  Kayaked across lake then went on a nice hike up to a lookout area.  This took us up to around noon.  Got a nice lunch then went to check in at our camping rental store.  This took a little while because they we talked to them a lot about where to hike.  A hike like we did (and never had done it before) took a lot of planning and they were great at advising us on where to go.

Wednesday - This is where it got interesting.  Loaded up with gear for three days.  Everything is pack in and pack out with no facilities once you leave civilization.  food, toilet paper...everything.  We took the Gondola out of Teton Village.  That got us up at least to a decent altitude first.  We then hiked to Marion Lake.  This was a pretty big day for our first time at altitude.  Absolutely beautiful.  

Thursday - Our biggest day as far as miles, we hiked along Death Canyon shelf, to get to the Alaska Basin.  Absolutely beautiful.  The wild flowers were in their peak season and it was like a HUGE landscaped garden in areas we went through with gorgeous sites everywhere.  We camped in Alaska Basin.  It's actually outside the national park so there is no designated sites.  you find a spot, and camp.  

Friday - Less miles than Thursday, but it was a huge day that we really weren't expecting.  We started at around 9,000 feet from our campsite, had to climb up to over 11,000 and cross over static peak.  This is the highest trail in the entire park and it's the most hit spot with lightning.  Yes, a storm was coming when we were crossing.  We had to cross multiple glaciers and do a lot of switchbacks both going up and down the peak.  From the peak, we had to descend around 7,000 feet.  Going down is a killer on the legs.  Bad thing was, once we got down to Phelps lake, the trail went back up a long ways.  My wife just about didn't make that climb.  We think this day was around 10-12 miles but it was absolutely grueling most of the time.  You really felt like you were on top of the world though.  Beautiful (common theme :) ).

We were able to get home Saturday morning.  

Both my wife and I dropped between 5-9 lbs on the trip.

All three days were with what we figure probably was about 50-60 lbs on our backs.  We over packed because it was our first time.  We would do some things different...like, we took way too much food.

Lodging  = 49er Inn and Suites.  This was cheaper than lots of places and still nice.  Right off of down town and nice location.

Rentals = https://tetonbcrentals.com/index  These guys were fantastic.  They were very experienced in hiking themselves and knew exactly what we needed.  Talk to them long before you go.  Their website is a great resource too on what you need to pack.  The right clothing is extremely important.  The weather was nice and in the 60s during the day when we were there, but it would could dip down into the upper 30s at night.  Need lots of layers and REALLY GOOD hiking shoes that are well broke in.

Bear spray.....always take bear spray and have it ready.  Be smart.  A hiking trip like we did is not for people who aren't in shape and conscious about what they are getting into.

Have fun and let me know if you have any other questions. 

I hope to do some hiking in the Rocky Mountain National Park next summer.

Sounds like a great hike and trip.  Did you see any bears?     I can tell you of some good hikes in RMNP - we've hiked a bunch of trials there - primarily in the Bear Lake area.

One great hike -  Make Bear Lake your starting point for several.  One hike goes up in elevation past Bear Lake, past Nymph and Dream lakes and ends up at Emerald Lake just below Hallet Peak.  Great views and hike.  Longs Peak towers above Bear Lake.    From Bear Lake you can also go to Alberta Falls - and go past the falls to some other great spots.

http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.com/bear-lake-nature-trail.htm

On the west side of RMNP is Adams Falls - by Grand Lake.  Just after you exit the park is Grand Lake Lodge - a great place for lunch - great views.  The tree beatle has done a number on the trees there (it was really dense forest - now not so much).  So if you take Trail Ridge Road from Estes Park (my favorite place in the world) all the way to the west end you will come to Grand Lake outside of the park.  Just to the south of Grand Lake is the Adams Falls trail. Nice short trial but very neat L shaped water fall. 

http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.com/adams-falls.htm

You could spend several days hiking different trials by Bear Lake.     

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Sounds like a great hike and trip.  Did you see any bears?     I can tell you of some good hikes in RMNP - we've hiked a bunch of trials there - primarily in the Bear Lake area.

One great hike -  Make Bear Lake your starting point for several.  One hike goes up in elevation past Bear Lake, past Nymph and Dream lakes and ends up at Emerald Lake just below Hallet Peak.  Great views and hike.  Longs Peak towers above Bear Lake.    From Bear Lake you can also go to Alberta Falls - and go past the falls to some other great spots.

http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.com/bear-lake-nature-trail.htm

On the west side of RMNP is Adams Falls - by Grand Lake.  Just after you exit the park is Grand Lake Lodge - a great place for lunch - great views.  The tree beatle has done a number on the trees there (it was really dense forest - now not so much).  So if you take Trail Ridge Road from Estes Park (my favorite place in the world) all the way to the west end you will come to Grand Lake outside of the park.  Just to the south of Grand Lake is the Adams Falls trail. Nice short trial but very neat L shaped water fall. 

http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.com/adams-falls.htm

You could spend several days hiking different trials by Bear Lake.     

Thanks. 

What i I would really like is more of a relaxing hike of a few miles then camp a couple nights in one spot. 

I would lije some fly fishing and a day hike or two. 

We didnt see any bears on the hike. 

@TGHusker Just thought I'd give you my take. I went a couple weeks before BRB. No hiking 'cause I took an old lady with bad knees with me.

We stayed in/around Yellowstone 4 nights and that allowed us to see every major spot. We then drove down to Jackson and stayed 2 nights there.

For Yellowstone I think 3 would have been too few to see every major spot but you could probably skip the northeast corner of the park (it's the big wildlife area - neat, but I'd seen enough buffalo by the time we went there) and do it in 3. I would suggest not driving from the Tetons every day to Yellowstone. I believe it's at least an hour to get to the edge of the park. What I would suggest after the Tetons is staying at least another 2 nights further north in Gardiner, West Yellowstone or right in the middle of the park. It's expensive but nice to be right there when you wake up.

I will add after reading @Moiraine  the main reason we stayed in Jackson instead of in Yellowstone is because it was all booked up. I booked my trip in February and it was to late. 

If if you want to stay there, book a long time In advance. 

We we didn’t have a problem driving from Jackson. The scenery was beautiful enough that we enjoyed it and the rest of our trip was more in the Tetons. 

@BigRedBuster, I'm insanely jealous of your trip; that sounds amazing!    I've always wanted to do something like that but feel very inexperienced when it comes to that type of hiking trip.  Sounds like it might be possible after all.

Unfortunately, my wife would never go for that.  She is not an outdoorsy person at all.  

I'd have to set it up as a "guy trip" or something, and that might even be an uphill battle..lol

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

@BigRedBuster, I'm insanely jealous of your trip; that sounds amazing!    I've always wanted to do something like that but feel very inexperienced when it comes to that type of hiking trip.  Sounds like it might be possible after all.

Unfortunately, my wife would never go for that.  She is not an outdoorsy person at all.  

I'd have to set it up as a "guy trip" or something, and that might even be an uphill battle..lol

It was a dream trip for me.  It was actually one that I would go on all by myself if the family didn't want to go.  But, I'm perfectly fine doing things like that by myself.  I'm weird like that.  :)

Being a novice on this type of camping is intimidating, but, the place we rented from was a huge help and they are used to working with novices.  We learned from this one and, if we do it again, some things would be done a little different.