**2018 Husker Previews: SBNation - What should we expect from Scott Frost’s first Nebraska team?**

Scott Frost has massive potential at Nebraska, but he’s going to need a Year Zero

As fans and writers, we tend to overthink the status of a program, its role in the college football landscape, etc.

A school like Nebraska is perfect for overthinking. A former national power that dominated in a different age but has seen its lot change dramatically since about the third year of the new century? Yeah, that’s ripe for over-discussion.

What are the Huskers capable of? How has a new conference changed their recruiting capabilities? How high is your ceiling when you’re removed from a geographical base of talent (especially in the days since Prop 48 faded away)? How has the Huskers’ reverence for the past prevented them from looking forward?

At Podcast Ain’t Played Nobody, we talk about program ceilings and floors pretty often — we revel in the overthinking — and with Nebraska’s slide into irrelevance, the Huskers come up often. But while it’s so easy to overthink the minutiae, I try to keep things simple by relying on a truism: you’re only as good as the hires you make.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/22/17444366/nebraska-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, brophog said:

It's a good preview, but it shows how hard it is to be a national writer when a team makes such massive changes. Anything based on last year's numbers, like these previews, are damn near irrelevant for a team with this kind of turnover. 

Yeah, he said that towards the end. And I think it's true. His W/L probabilities look like a 6-6 year, and I think that 6-7 wins is probably about right.

It's just hard to calculate "quit" in those numbers.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Pretty good preview but at the top it says something along the lines of Frost had more to work with in Orlando. 

Hindsight is funny like that, isn't it. Easy for anyone to overlook that many of last year's UCF stars were frosh/soph and many of those that were there prior to Frost didn't become marquee players prior to Frost. He had some pieces, but like we are seeing here, he scrapped a bunch, too. 

Nebraska is well in front in year 1 compared to year 1 at UCF, because the coaches are better prepared, something I didn't see mentioned in the article. It's basically a triviality that Nebraska's offense is better in comparison, and possible the defense will be in certain areas. 

• Plus1 2

17 minutes ago, Saunders said:

It's just hard to calculate "quit" in those numbers

If we use a 3 or 4 year rolling average it isn't favorable, either. That's where the numbers have some validity. On the other hand, a group like LB, which I feel has been really poor, has a strong possibility to be vastly improved.

He could have a lot more to work with here, agreed. We could be a much better team than UCF was last year and still go 7-5 with the schedule that we play. UCF was very good and proved something with the bowl win over Auburn, but they had a relatively favorable schedule. I like the phrase "reasonable expectations". I think we will see a vast improvement in level of play we see in games. I think we will see a minor improvement in our record at the end of the year. I don't anticipate feeling like Nebraska has zero chance in any game we play this year, unlike last year when the entire second half of the season I felt completely hopeless in any game we played. I understand we won't go 12-0, but I expect to enjoy solid play in every game. I expect a solid, unified effort every game. We win some, we lose some, but I don't want to feel hopeless in any contest. 

• Plus1 3

It's hard to base anything on last years performance expecially when it was fairly obvious the Defense quit on Diaco following his actions and comments during and after the Northwestern game.

That said strictly on recruiting talent we were already one of the 25 most talented teams in the country not counting incoming players.

We added:

The #1 Juco RB who is good enough that he probably starts Day 1.

The #2 Juco WR who is probably one of the 5 fastest players in the country.

The #6 Juco WR who runs a sub 4.4 and caught 7 td's playing for EMCC (aka Last Chance U)

The #2 Juco Safety Who looks like an absolute headhunter.

The #1 ILB Who already looks like he will be one of the best players on the team and an anchor in the middle of the defense.

AND we added Breon Dixon who will start at the hybrid OLB/Nickel spot.

This team has more talent than every team on that schedule everyone is worried about except Ohio State an Michigan. (And in reality Michigan is not much more talented than Nebraska.)

As it stands 6 wins would be a big underachievement.

• Plus1 6
7 minutes ago, Blackshirt316 said:

It's hard to base anything on last years performance expecially when it was fairly obvious the Defense quit on Diaco following his actions and comments during and after the Northwestern game.

That said strictly on recruiting talent we were already one of the 25 most talented teams in the country not counting incoming players.

We added:

The #6 Juco WR who runs a sub 4.4 and caught 7 td's playing for EMCC (aka Last Chance U)

The #1 ILB Who already looks like he will be one of the best players on the team and an anchor in the middle of the defense.

This team has more talent than every team on that schedule everyone is worried about except Ohio State an Michigan. (And in reality Michigan is not much more talented than Nebraska.)

Thank you.

25 minutes ago, Blackshirt316 said:

We added:

tumblr_m141jal8Bj1rn95k2o1_500.gif

Haven't you been reading this board???? You must temper your expectations so your world isn't a crushing disappointment when NU doesn't win the Super Bowl.

Seriously though, I am fully on board with you.  This team has grossly underachieved for a decade relative to the talent on the roster. Nebraska moved from one poor Power 5 division to another, and should dominate the west if they just get out of their own way.

27 minutes ago, brophog said:

It's an exciting group of newcomers, no doubt, and expect to see a lot of them play, but that's a lot of inexperience. That's why Frost is preaching patience in year 1 and excitement for year 2.

agree, be happy guys, this is the start of the turn around.

With Nebraska, it's always been about mentality. There has always been enough talent to be competitive in each game. There has even been enough talent in the last 20 years to win a handful of conference championships. The ineptitude of administration & coaches clouted the reality, and I feel bad for many of the great players we had in those twenty years. 

• Plus1 3